Aruba Beach

Thread: Aruba Summer Reflections

Aruba Summer Reflections

I spent July and August in Aruba this year. These comments come from the perspective that I lived in my shack in Savaneta as opposed to renting a place or staying at a hotel or similar. I only mention this because it changes the outlook a little.

Let me begin by saying that Aruba continues to develop. I took the sales tour for several high-rise condo projects and a couple of townhouse and detached house developments. All are looking to the upscale market with prices that astounded me on a per square foot basis. Iím not sure how these residents (or renters) will all fit on the beach if they choose to go there. There are to be large swimming pools but the beach may feel the pressure.

Most all the restaurants I visited were quite busy for the summer season. The quality of food and service seemed to be reliable. One place is now off my list of stops because it was absolutely terrible on two occasions. I wonít mention the place because I donít post bad reviews. They might have had a couple of bad nights or maybe I did. Either way, Iím not going back until I hear someone say theyíre back on track.

I discovered a few new local places, in particular Casa Vieja, that exceeded my expectations. I like Colombian food so this was a slam dunk. Some snack shops also surprised me, but I like that kind of fast food, too.

Major hotel bar drink prices are now beyond my tolerance. Sorry, Iím not paying $21+ for a glass of wine for Mrs. 44 and a jack/soda for yours truly. Youíll catch me once or twice breaking this rule but not often. I found better values at some restaurant bars, and youíll see me there instead. Along those lines, my preference for the $39 Sunday Brunch at Hyatt remains unchanged. I do eat $39 worth, probably a lot more.

Infrastructure in Aruba is improving. Roads in the Santa Cruz area were milled and repaved. The new traffic circle in Pos Chiquito is almost finished. They got rid of the speed bumps, and hopefully the message got through to people that they need to slow down around pedestrians. More road work will need to be done to fix pieces of the coast road between Balashi and Savaneta; again, hopefully, this will not be ignored when the highway is completed. At the airport they do a stupid thing sometimes by towing the returned rental cars parked in the lane there. This drives the clerks crazy, so please show them some extra patience because they can be frazzled at busy times trying to juggle the customers and avoid the tow truck. (Message to airport administration: Lay off! Expand into the parking lot where you clip us a couple of guilders to park when we pick up our pals. That lotís only half used anyway.)

I made several new friends, including ex-pats from several nations as well as Aruban natives. This was the biggest thrill, especially the people who are now opening up, telling me their stories from the good old days along with a few current adventures. Warning: Anything you tell me could end up in a novel! This is something I love about Aruba, the confluence of people from all over the world.

Iím thankful to have a shack in Aruba and canít wait until itís suitable to share with family and friends. For anyone considering buying in Aruba, you wonít go wrong so long as your expectations are not to get rich quick but rather to enjoy a Caribbean island.

In the near term (2-5 years), I expect other areas of Aruba to attract visitors who are looking for a more laid back experience. Iíve heard rumors of small-time private tour operators coming up with ďgo nativeĒ type of packages. This, in my opinion, is a good idea. There are plenty of places in Aruba where you can feel ďship wreckedĒ on a desert island. No, you wonít have drink service on the beach. You might have a meal thatís not your idea of haut cuisine. But you will have a genuine experience, something youíll be talking about for years to come.

Let me know if this has been helpful or if I simply write too much.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    i must now read your book...you capture me with your writting...your post is written like a novel...easy read on that, and appreciated. thanks ! Keep writting....

Aruba since 1979
    thanks we love reading ALL aruba stories
    thanks for posting yours
    i too find it offensive to pay big money for a glass of wine.

many of us live vicariously thru others reports
    (i certainly do)

andrea j.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    I spent July and August in Aruba this year. These comments come from the perspective that I lived in my shack in Savaneta as opposed to renting a place or staying at a hotel or similar. I only mention this because it changes the outlook a little.

Let me begin by saying that Aruba continues to develop. I took the sales tour for several high-rise condo projects and a couple of townhouse and detached house developments. All are looking to the upscale market with prices that astounded me on a per square foot basis. Iím not sure how these residents (or renters) will all fit on the beach if they choose to go there. There are to be large swimming pools but the beach may feel the pressure.

Most all the restaurants I visited were quite busy for the summer season. The quality of food and service seemed to be reliable. One place is now off my list of stops because it was absolutely terrible on two occasions. I wonít mention the place because I donít post bad reviews. They might have had a couple of bad nights or maybe I did. Either way, Iím not going back until I hear someone say theyíre back on track.

I discovered a few new local places, in particular Casa Vieja, that exceeded my expectations. I like Colombian food so this was a slam dunk. Some snack shops also surprised me, but I like that kind of fast food, too.

Major hotel bar drink prices are now beyond my tolerance. Sorry, Iím not paying $21+ for a glass of wine for Mrs. 44 and a jack/soda for yours truly. Youíll catch me once or twice breaking this rule but not often. I found better values at some restaurant bars, and youíll see me there instead. Along those lines, my preference for the $39 Sunday Brunch at Hyatt remains unchanged. I do eat $39 worth, probably a lot more.

Infrastructure in Aruba is improving. Roads in the Santa Cruz area were milled and repaved. The new traffic circle in Pos Chiquito is almost finished. They got rid of the speed bumps, and hopefully the message got through to people that they need to slow down around pedestrians. More road work will need to be done to fix pieces of the coast road between Balashi and Savaneta; again, hopefully, this will not be ignored when the highway is completed. At the airport they do a stupid thing sometimes by towing the returned rental cars parked in the lane there. This drives the clerks crazy, so please show them some extra patience because they can be frazzled at busy times trying to juggle the customers and avoid the tow truck. (Message to airport administration: Lay off! Expand into the parking lot where you clip us a couple of guilders to park when we pick up our pals. That lotís only half used anyway.)

I made several new friends, including ex-pats from several nations as well as Aruban natives. This was the biggest thrill, especially the people who are now opening up, telling me their stories from the good old days along with a few current adventures. Warning: Anything you tell me could end up in a novel! This is something I love about Aruba, the confluence of people from all over the world.

Iím thankful to have a shack in Aruba and canít wait until itís suitable to share with family and friends. For anyone considering buying in Aruba, you wonít go wrong so long as your expectations are not to get rich quick but rather to enjoy a Caribbean island.

In the near term (2-5 years), I expect other areas of Aruba to attract visitors who are looking for a more laid back experience. Iíve heard rumors of small-time private tour operators coming up with ďgo nativeĒ type of packages. This, in my opinion, is a good idea. There are plenty of places in Aruba where you can feel ďship wreckedĒ on a desert island. No, you wonít have drink service on the beach. You might have a meal thatís not your idea of haut cuisine. But you will have a genuine experience, something youíll be talking about for years to come.

Let me know if this has been helpful or if I simply write too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    thanks we love reading ALL aruba stories
    thanks for posting yours
    i too find it offensive to pay big money for a glass of wine.

many of us live vicariously thru others reports
    (i certainly do)

andrea j.
    We too find it offensive and thus were driven to all inclusive.

Book reading

I am reading your book now and it is great!!!!! I can't put it down. We will be in aruba in october for the 4th time and i can't wait until we go to charlie's. We have never been there.

Thumbs up

Thank you for telling us about Huchada Pasteleris in Santa Cruz.
    We loved it. I have read your book and really enjoyed it.
    Thanks

Thanks also for your dialogue -- it captivates me.

Tell us a bit more about your shack. We visited Aruba a few years ago, but since it was on a cruise we were only there for a few hours -- I was delighted.

I know Aruba is out of the hurricane belt, but I was wondering about the weather/temperature throughout the year.

Thanks again,
    Alice

SanNic,
    Don't think I need to repeat all the comments about how eloquently you write. Which by the way...am waiting very impatiently for your book to arrive to read it and then as you questions.....!!!! Rather I agree with some of the prices...which is why we buy a couple of bottles, make slushies for the freezer and put them in sippy cups for lounging at the beach. Which is also why we enjoy stopping at one of the many little local bar/resaurants to have lunch and a beer. The people truly do seem to be genuine and of course is another reason for my absolute love and infatuation with the island....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME