Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11

Almost there! Safe travels. Enjoy!!

an activity that the boys really loved besides jet skiing of course was the go-carts. we have done them for years and its always fun!! they are located on the same road as ling and sons grocery. up further and on the left! great fun. i am not sure if they are still doing it at night though.

they also loved Moomba's....we got adult time and there was a pool table there that they met girls to play pool with! lol they also had vollyball on the beach and played touch football with others! mine of course were old enough to do clubs at night so that was fun!!! lol i got to watch a 40 something year old try to pick up my son....lol ugghhh!

Ahhhhhh, sitting on the balcony overlooking the pool and Eagle Beach at Paradise Beach Villas with hot tea and boterkoek!
    I'm certain this will be long. Some things I'll be brief and post to other topics.
    Our flight was great, not crowded and landed 20 min early. We only had carry on's so were off, no line in immigration, straight past customs and outside to find Ricado of Yes Car Rentals standing there calling "Monica" in a very pleasant accent! We have a lovely brand new midsize Honda something. Next we were off to find the Mio store downtown. Well we got lost and Steve is now very proficient in the roundabouts! We gave up and stopped at Iguana Joes. The boys enjoyed it! They were tired so we went to PBV to see if we could check in. No line, room not ready but paper work done and got better directions to Mio! Found it! (More info to come).
    back to PVB to get room. Again, no line and room was ready. (We own at La Cabana but Steve couldn't get our week off so we had deposited our week with Interval. When we found we could come we were able to trade our 1/1 for PBV 2/2. Not sure what to expect, we were very pleasantly surprised when we opened the door! More later...)
    We settled in and went to Ling & Sons. DH & DS about fell over when they saw the prices but after I explained the conversion they were better.
    Back to PBV and our first drink on the balcony!!
    we had 6:30 reservations at Pelican's Nest.
    I will start and say here... OMG, it's been 10 years since we've been here. Where did all the buildings, restraurants and people come from? It is not the small tranquil place we remember. Don't get me wrong it is still the most beautiful place I've ever been and the people are still incredibly hospitable. I'm just a bit disappointed to see all the American influence. I believe people should go on vacations to experience the uniqueness of their destinations. That we will do our best. Now with the boys to save money we may have to stray a bit but our plan is to stay, buy& play local. I will also note here that everywhere we went we were wished a "Happy Independence Day"! I mentioned to one lady how nice everyone had been and she said "We love our Independence as much as you love your's and it's our pleasure to celebrate with you!" Brought me to tears!
    So off to Pelican's Nest. We were seated right away at a water side table facing the sunset just as I had requested in our reservation. Our waitress was most accommodating, the drinks were full of rum and the food was delicious! We started with the Pelican Sampler. We didn't tell the boys that those things they thought were onion rings or the 'hush puppies' were fish until they were done. I know, bad parents. But it was fun to see them realize they liked it! DH & I had the grouper, DS1 had some hamburger concoction that had ham, bacon & egg. (Yuck) he Loved it. DS2 had the (? Name) shrimp on a skewer. Our sons had a blast feeding the fish and tiny birds. Our waitress spent some time talking with them about the fish and birds and gave them more bread to feed them. The sunset was absolutely beautiful. We had lingered there for over an hour and much to our surprise and delight another group of tourists stood, raised their glasses and broke out in song to "God Bless America". Everyone stood and joined in and ended with shouts of Amen & USA and applause. The waiters then explained there would be fireworks in a short while. We would have like to stay at our table but we were reaching our budget and there was still a line to get in. Even though there was a 15% tip on the bill we left a generous addition for our waitress because she was outstanding. They suggested we wander just up the beach to see the fireworks. We easily found some chairs and relaxed on the beach. It didn't take long for the place to fill up. Much to our disappointment the fireworks started but were further up the beach and a large building was in the way. When it was over we could hear others saying, just wait, they aren't done yet. Sure enough, from out on the water another display began. I have to say I've seen my share of fireworks and this was right up there with some I've seen. It was over by 9:30 and we headed back to the car. The streets were filled with people, the party busses were in full swing and the clubs seemed full. We made it back and crashed!!
    I'm the early bird so here I am relaying our wonderful adventure on this beautiful island.
    i have several pictures to share and will figure out how to do that.
    Oh, a note that I read before leaving. Sitting here this morning, there are mosquitoes. I brought deet wipes from the camping store and the are working. I've only noticed a few flies. And, yesterday the winds were very strong. Sitting here this morning there doesn't seem to be as much but the building may be blocking it.
    i plan to do my posting as I sit here in the peace and quiet of the morning. If there's anything you'd like to know, I'll try to find out. Thank you to everyone who helped me get this trip planned! Today we plan to relax, enjoy the pool & beach!
    Last edited by Stev&Mo; 07-05-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Ok, something didn't go right with the picture upload. I'll try again later... Off to the beach!

Enjoy the beach. Loving your trip report!

Sounds like a great start! We always have a good experience at Pelican Nest.

Aruba since 1979
    terrific mo...thanks for sharing.

the american influence.......the funny thing that is (i have been told) that is not all of the american tourist's doing......the residents of aruba
    love american products and fast food. if you stop in a micky D, or kfc on aruba, chances are you will find many residents and few tourists.

at first i found it offensive on how the americans came in and "took over".
    then, i made a 180 and have accepted the fact that if the residents want it and have embraced it, who am i to find it offensive.

continue to enjoy and remember on the roundabouts...........if a vehicle is already in it, wait til you can safely enter!

sorry to hear of the mosquitos this morning. but, mosquitos are frequent sometimes. i am surprised though as it has been so dry there.

Pictures from plane landing

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg   Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg   Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg   Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg  

They are sideways but I think I'm figuring this out!

1st day

Pictures from 1st day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg   Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg   Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg   Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg  

Aruba with Teen boys July 4 - 11-image.jpg  

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast