Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ArubaBob at Costa Linda

  1. #21
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,924
    how is the wind?


    hope that your golf game is good!

    thanks for sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    The shrimp boil was amazing. we have been mostly sitting around the pool. The sand is blowing pretty hard on the beach.

    We ate breakfast at Matthews again today. The beach in front of Casa Del Mar is almost gone. Two palapas are eroding out and there are big rocks everywhere. There was only about 20 feet of sand between the rock wall and the water at one point.

    Dinner last night was at J H Yees above the Hard Rock. It was excellent. We got there about 6:45 and found out that their early bird special is good until 7 pm. For $19 you get choice of lettuce wrap or wonton soup, one entree off a list of 7 or 8, rice and tea. 2 got soup and 2 got lettuce wrap, very good. I got the Mongolian Beef DW got Hawaian Chicken, SIS got Orange peel shrimp and Bil got General Tsos chicken. We shared and there was plenty of food left over. It was all excellent.

    Playing our third round of golf tomorrow morning. Not sure where we are going for dinner yet.

  2. #22
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    3,894
    Great reporting. I really like that Blossoms is doing well and surviving the onslaught of the Rui.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Posts
    263
    I saw that the weather said it was very windy and maybe a chance of rain...how is the wind? Any rain yet?

  4. #24
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,924
    here is the link to the lacabana pool's webcam

    while we were in aruba the wind was so strong that the umbrellas could not be opened.

    today, they are open!

    http://www.lacabanabrc.com/la-cabana-webcams/
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaLovesAruba! View Post
    I saw that the weather said it was very windy and maybe a chance of rain...how is the wind? Any rain yet?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    here is the link to the lacabana pool's webcam

    while we were in aruba the wind was so strong that the umbrellas could not be opened.

    today, they are open!

    http://www.lacabanabrc.com/la-cabana-webcams/
    Oooh good news! Thanks, Andrea!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    130
    They are closed this afternoon.

  7. #27
    Senior Member arubabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Posts
    1,202
    Sorry I have been lax in writing. Leaving tomorrow. Where does the time go? A few notes to leave you with. Last week seemed very crowded on the island and here at the Costa Linda resort. This week has been just the opposite. no crowds, no problem getting a shaded table around the pool or at the beach. Went to the high rise area on Wednesday and it was not crowded. Went to the Radisson and walked around at about 11 am. There were maybe 10 people at the pools and nobody at gilligans. Went to eat at Sunset grill this evening and there were 2 other couples there the whole time. We were there from 6:30 to about 8pm. Went to the casino and it was dead. Went to the Marriott casino last night and half the tables were empty. Went to Madame Janettes on Monday night and walked in at 7:30 without reservations. No problem. Half empty. One of the maids here said a lot of the owners were not here this week and there were many empty rooms. Dont know if that is normal or not. Maybe a sign of overbuilding??

    Food report. Ate at pelicans nest again. Cant get enough of the grilled grouper there. Madame Janettes was simply great. I tried the skirt steak and it was excellent. Tender and tasty. I wasnt very hungry when we got there and decided to order it off the delight menu. It came with salad on the plate and meat. Let me say this about that. The plate was big and the salad covered 2/3 of the plate and the steak covered half. Skirt steak is thin though so it was only about 12 ounces of meat and half a pound of salad. I did not finish it. BIL ordered the surf and turf. It comes with steak, shrimp and a small lobster tail. He also got some of the MJs scalloped potatos. He cleaned his plate. Sis got the Argentine tenderloin on the delight menu. Same deal as mine, huge salad and big piece of meat. She liked the flavor of the meat but said it was a little tough. DW got the almond grouper with asparagus. Simply delicious.

    Sis and Bil left on Teusday to go back home to Ft Worth. Plane left here on time and landed in MIA on time. Flight to DFW was delayed 2 hours because the DFW airport was shut down because of severe thunderstorms again. They got home around 3 am. Were supposed to get home at 11:50.

    Decided to eat light on Tuesday night so went to Hard Rock. I was going to get a burger but DW talked me into sharing chicken fajitas. They were supposed to come with onions, bell peppers, guac, shredded cheese and sour cream. There were plenty of onions, guac and cheese but maybe 3 small slices of bell pepper and no sour cream. I asked for the manager and he said their supplies had not come in and they were out of sour cream and amost out of peppers. He said he could give me more cheese and guac if I wanted it. I said I would have liked to have had that information when I ordered it not when I got my meal. He appologized again but said the waitress would tell people from now on. I told him that Lings had a bunch of sour cream and bell peppers. He kind of laughed and walke away.
    Worst part of that is that their fajitas are pretty good. Second worst part of that is that we found out today that the Hyatt has all you can eat fajitas for about the same price now.

    Dinner on wednesday was at Blossoms again. DW had the honey crisp chicken. It was fabulous. Only thing not to like about it for her was that it is one of the dishes that is served with rice and doesnt have any vegetables with it. She loves her veggies. I had the special fried rice and wonton soup. Both excellent.

    Dinner tonight was at Sunset Grill in the Radisson. We had never eaten there before. It is a lovely place. You can eat inside or outside. We chose inside as we are pretty windblown right now. They have a special dinner for 2 for $89. You get a choice of 3 different salads, lobster bisque, choice of several meat and fish dishes, choice of side and desert. We opted for this dinner. A large basket of various kinds of bread was put on the table with 2 kinds of butter. DW chose the salad with greens, egg, walnuts, tomato, olives, blue cheese, the lobster bisque, grilled salmon and steamed veggies. I chose the caesar salad, lobster bisque, New York cut steak and garlic mashed potatos. The desert is a hot apple fritter or something like that with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzled with caramel sauce. We will go here again but will choose a couple of different items next time. Loved the steak, DW loved the salmon, loved the veggies, loved the bread, loved the coffee, loved the salads. The lobster bisque was, IMHO, more like shrimp or fish soup. Couldnt really taste any lobster. It was quite fishy tasting. The garlic mashed potatos were sweet. Almost like they had sugar put in them. Not to my liking. Baked potato next time.
    One other food note. The steak I had at MJs came with chimichurri sauce. The grilled grouper at Pelicans nest comes with chimicurri sauce. Sorry MJ but the chimichurri at Pelicans nest is much better IMHO.

    Our flight is scheduled to leave at 3:30 tomorrow and shows on time all the way. Should be home before 11 pm tomorrow night. Not sure I want to go home. It has rained here once for ten minutes in the last 2 weeks. Oklahoma has had over 19 inches of rain in the month of May, which isnt over yet but is an alltime monthly record for rainfall. Rain is forcast for the next 5 days.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,676
    Thanks for the nice update. We've found many of the restaurants tend to serve very small orders of vegetables. By the end of vacation I'm generally craving them

  9. #29
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,924
    thanks for sharing!

    the island may have been a bit more crowded last week (til monday or tuesday) due to the Soul Beach Music Fesitval ...???

    so glad that you got a chance to report in, i was wondering what happened!

    thank you so much for sharing your annual trip report with us.


    safe travels.
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Sorry I have been lax in writing. Leaving tomorrow. Where does the time go? A few notes to leave you with. Last week seemed very crowded on the island and here at the Costa Linda resort. This week has been just the opposite. no crowds, no problem getting a shaded table around the pool or at the beach. Went to the high rise area on Wednesday and it was not crowded. Went to the Radisson and walked around at about 11 am. There were maybe 10 people at the pools and nobody at gilligans. Went to eat at Sunset grill this evening and there were 2 other couples there the whole time. We were there from 6:30 to about 8pm. Went to the casino and it was dead. Went to the Marriott casino last night and half the tables were empty. Went to Madame Janettes on Monday night and walked in at 7:30 without reservations. No problem. Half empty. One of the maids here said a lot of the owners were not here this week and there were many empty rooms. Dont know if that is normal or not. Maybe a sign of overbuilding??

    Food report. Ate at pelicans nest again. Cant get enough of the grilled grouper there. Madame Janettes was simply great. I tried the skirt steak and it was excellent. Tender and tasty. I wasnt very hungry when we got there and decided to order it off the delight menu. It came with salad on the plate and meat. Let me say this about that. The plate was big and the salad covered 2/3 of the plate and the steak covered half. Skirt steak is thin though so it was only about 12 ounces of meat and half a pound of salad. I did not finish it. BIL ordered the surf and turf. It comes with steak, shrimp and a small lobster tail. He also got some of the MJs scalloped potatos. He cleaned his plate. Sis got the Argentine tenderloin on the delight menu. Same deal as mine, huge salad and big piece of meat. She liked the flavor of the meat but said it was a little tough. DW got the almond grouper with asparagus. Simply delicious.

    Sis and Bil left on Teusday to go back home to Ft Worth. Plane left here on time and landed in MIA on time. Flight to DFW was delayed 2 hours because the DFW airport was shut down because of severe thunderstorms again. They got home around 3 am. Were supposed to get home at 11:50.

    Decided to eat light on Tuesday night so went to Hard Rock. I was going to get a burger but DW talked me into sharing chicken fajitas. They were supposed to come with onions, bell peppers, guac, shredded cheese and sour cream. There were plenty of onions, guac and cheese but maybe 3 small slices of bell pepper and no sour cream. I asked for the manager and he said their supplies had not come in and they were out of sour cream and amost out of peppers. He said he could give me more cheese and guac if I wanted it. I said I would have liked to have had that information when I ordered it not when I got my meal. He appologized again but said the waitress would tell people from now on. I told him that Lings had a bunch of sour cream and bell peppers. He kind of laughed and walke away.
    Worst part of that is that their fajitas are pretty good. Second worst part of that is that we found out today that the Hyatt has all you can eat fajitas for about the same price now.

    Dinner on wednesday was at Blossoms again. DW had the honey crisp chicken. It was fabulous. Only thing not to like about it for her was that it is one of the dishes that is served with rice and doesnt have any vegetables with it. She loves her veggies. I had the special fried rice and wonton soup. Both excellent.

    Dinner tonight was at Sunset Grill in the Radisson. We had never eaten there before. It is a lovely place. You can eat inside or outside. We chose inside as we are pretty windblown right now. They have a special dinner for 2 for $89. You get a choice of 3 different salads, lobster bisque, choice of several meat and fish dishes, choice of side and desert. We opted for this dinner. A large basket of various kinds of bread was put on the table with 2 kinds of butter. DW chose the salad with greens, egg, walnuts, tomato, olives, blue cheese, the lobster bisque, grilled salmon and steamed veggies. I chose the caesar salad, lobster bisque, New York cut steak and garlic mashed potatos. The desert is a hot apple fritter or something like that with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzled with caramel sauce. We will go here again but will choose a couple of different items next time. Loved the steak, DW loved the salmon, loved the veggies, loved the bread, loved the coffee, loved the salads. The lobster bisque was, IMHO, more like shrimp or fish soup. Couldnt really taste any lobster. It was quite fishy tasting. The garlic mashed potatos were sweet. Almost like they had sugar put in them. Not to my liking. Baked potato next time.
    One other food note. The steak I had at MJs came with chimichurri sauce. The grilled grouper at Pelicans nest comes with chimicurri sauce. Sorry MJ but the chimichurri at Pelicans nest is much better IMHO.

    Our flight is scheduled to leave at 3:30 tomorrow and shows on time all the way. Should be home before 11 pm tomorrow night. Not sure I want to go home. It has rained here once for ten minutes in the last 2 weeks. Oklahoma has had over 19 inches of rain in the month of May, which isnt over yet but is an alltime monthly record for rainfall. Rain is forcast for the next 5 days.

  10. #30
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scott's Brats, Iguana Joes, Surf Club
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Have a safe flight home.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO