Aruba Beach

Thread: back from 1st trip

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

Thumbs up back from 1st trip

so i wake up for our first trip to aruba to a power shortage, got dressed by flashlight. went to airport and had two hour delay due to heavy winds (we flew continental out of newark). continental has the nicest flight attendants. anyway, arrived in aruba to clouds, hans was there to meet us. got to our condo (thank you pureriver for the wonderful directions, and bully, too about the construction).

went to town that nite. next two days, gorgeous weather. saturday & sunday torrential rains, flooding, roads blocked off. where we were, on malmokweg, we were able to get out. then we had nothing but gorgeous weather till we came home on saturday, the 11th. we were very close to Arashi Beach (beautiful beach, our favorite). we were very close to the highrise hotels and went every nite.

at first after the two days, my husband was saying I thought it doesn't rain here, my only vacation. by the end of the week I asked if he would come back again. He said no, he wouldn't go for 10 days again, he'd rather go for two or more weeks, lol....

so next year, we are going for at least 2 weeks. he ended up loving aruba, so did I. we went gambling, I went shopping (so much to buy, lol). we went to dinner a few times, bbq'd at our place a few times. did the tourist stuff, chapel, lighthouse, bridge, etc. but mostly we just chilled. i couldn't get my husband off the beach. the water was beautiful.

we watched a rescue from the ocean. a young couple on boogie boards went out and drifted at least a mile or so out and couldn't get back in. finally a dive boat came by and hauled them in. by that time it was 4 o'clock. they would have ended up in costa rica. we thought it was a buoy out there because it was so far until we saw the dive boat pick them up. needless to say, they never came back to the beach. I lost my diamond ring in the water, it was an eternity band. gift from my husband when we got married. i told him this year was our 10th so he can just replace it, lol. that's where i'm going today, having the jewelry make me another one. it actually was a toe ring i never took off in 10 years so I forgot it was on my toe. my fault.

anyway, we LOVED aruba and are definitely going back next december but this time for a minimum of 2 weeks. so all in all, we had two days of torrential rains and the rest beautiful, gorgeous weather. the airport coming back was a breeze (45 minutes from entering airport to the airport bar, lol) but we know from this forum and people at the airport that that was a fluke. we won't do a saturday again. we'll go mid-week to mid-week.

I want to thank everyone on this forum, especially Lisa, Andrea, Bully & pureriver (i forget the rest of your nickname) for all the advice and recommendations you gave...my husband said I was like a pro when I got there.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome home gaby

thanks for posting.

i am sure we passed you in the airport..........we were going UP the escalator and you and hubby were undoubtedly sitting in the crying room.

and re: you coming back to aruba for 2 weeks next time, all i can say is..........
    "ahaaa, we got another one!" :-)

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Andrea, if it wasn't for the dog and 3 cats, one of which needs pills, we'd go for a month, lol. I can't push my luck with my stepdaughter. My husband said I'm so bad because I primed her for next year. I told her if she stays here for 2 weeks next year, I'll pay 4 months of her car payments. She said I'm there, lol......I also laid the guilt trip about how relaxed her dad was and stress free. she said i'm glad he's relaxing, no problem for next year. That's great cause she has to leave her house down the shore and move up here for the time we're away......

Aruba since 1979
    can you not just give the cat 28 pills on the morning that you leave ???

sorry i am being a wise guy.

arubalisa has to kennel her cat at the vet as he needs SubQ fluids daily.
    maybe lisa should make contact with your stepdaughter

we have a nice neighbor that is in love with our dog and 2 kitties.
    she has them all at her house for the 2 weeks and she is very reasonable.
    obscenely reasonable. so reasonable that we doubled what she was going to charge us.

welcome to the "cannotgetenoughofaruba group"

if i had to board 4 animals for two weeks it would cost way more than i pay my stepdaughter. not to mention they get to stay in their own home....that's what happens when you have pets, which i wouldn't trade for the world....

Happy to hear that you had such a terrific trip.

The whole boarding scene perplexes me to no end. No inflation, salaries have gone down and around here in these parts, fees for boarding have gone up by a third in the last 3 years. I have shopped around and everyone is more or less the same price. Good racket! Anyone who has someone to watch their animals is very very fortunate.

I am lucky. First, my animals know her since they've been with her since she was little. They are in their own home so there's no displacement. I know I don't have to give her that kind of money, she tells me she'd do it for us for nothing. But I want it to be a job. I have a certain routine with them, especially my sick one, and i want her to treat it as a job so she does exactly as I want. not to mention she takes care of the house, someone's always here. she works at home with a computer so she doesn't care. also, all her friends live by me so it makes it easier for visiting. she's a good kid (23 is not a kid, lol). i am very lucky to have a great stepdaughter like her.....

I figured out the whole boarding thing...I just leave my son and husband at home this year and go by myself!!!

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Andrea, I JUST REMEMBERED! I was supposed to come down and watch your critters for you while you were away! Maybe next time!!!!

We're lucky (?!) that our daughter and her two little girls moved in with us when she was going through a divorce (it's been over two years now ), and she watches the dogs and ducks if we're away.