Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Back From Aruba Feb 28 to March 9

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Excellent! Great people!

Scott and Leslie agreed. We still need to work out a time but we all agreed that we could make it happen. Also the owner of one of the food trucks we really liked, but more on that later..[/QUOTE]

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I've been looking forward to your report and as anticipated, it is great! I have an image of the karaoke..lol. That's awesome!
    I was hoping we would run into you but we got started so late we figured you guys may have already turned in. Didn't stop me from looking at Bugaloe and also at the Hard Rock on the way back home.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Awesome start to your story and can't wait to hear the rest. We too read Daniel's book and feel like we know the characters. We are also planning a trip to Charlies so cannot wait to hear how you liked it and what it was like. Glad you did not settle for Wendy's while in Aruba. Hope the wrist is feeling better. I'll bet you were great at Karoke I could never be brave enough regardless of how many cocktails I've had. My husband loves singing and is very good at it. You had me cracking up thinking about dogs barking

Aruba since 1979
    i would really love for bully and judella to give an interview!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    Awesome start to your story and can't wait to hear the rest. We too read Daniel's book and feel like we know the characters. We are also planning a trip to Charlies so cannot wait to hear how you liked it and what it was like. Glad you did not settle for Wendy's while in Aruba. Hope the wrist is feeling better. I'll bet you were great at Karoke I could never be brave enough regardless of how many cocktails I've had. My husband loves singing and is very good at it. You had me cracking up thinking about dogs barking
    We have been to Charlies several times. we stop there sometimes on our way back from Baby Beach. They have great shrimp but it is a little on the high side. The bar itself is the attraction. it is crammed with history on the walls and hanging from the ceiling. The bathrooms are a hoot too. Well worth a visit even if you just get a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    I was hoping we would run into you but we got started so late we figured you guys may have already turned in. Didn't stop me from looking at Bugaloe and also at the Hard Rock on the way back home.
    Those are definitely good places to have a chance to run into us! Maybe one of these trips we will cross paths.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    Wasn't brave at all. The karaoke MC's gambit was well played. I either had to go with the flow or come off as a party pooper. Didn't want to start vacation off on the wrong foot so I just went for it. We always went to Wendy's because our first time in Aruba we got lost on the way to our rental and were starving so we stopped at Wendy's since it was familiar. We did it as a way to pay homage. Oddly enough here in the U.S. I have only eaten at Wendy's once in the past decade.

the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Aruba since 1979
    that's funny about wendys and your tradition
    many years ago, we always started our first night dinner at tony romas.
    the funny thing is we had a tony romas not far from our family's summer place and never went there...only in aruba.
    once we became empty nesters, tony's fell off our list...thank goodness.

Sunday morning.

Last night was a very very late night. Sunday morning we were atypically sluggish getting started. By the time we finished with breakfast and packing lunch it was past 10. Today would be spent on my favorite stretch of beach for sitting and relaxing… Manchebo beach.

Our specific spot is located right in front of the Bucuti. The resort guests must figure since they’ve paid so much for the resort they’ll just use the loungers because the beach itself hardly ever gets used. Wonder what they think when we come walking through with our folding chairs and cooler? Guess it doesn’t matter since all beaches in Aruba are public. During our time there we affectionately rename Manchebo “our beach”, seriously considering getting a flag made to plant when we visit. Love the combination of magazine advertisement views and moderately rough surf.

Water was actually pretty calm that day. We did more lounging than playing in the water. Lunch was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Well just peanut butter for me, I hate jelly. We also had our vacation staple gummy bears which taste awesome on the beach, but replacing our pretzel M&Ms this year were sour patch kids. One day try putting 3 gummy bears and 2 sour patch kids in your mouth at one time… life changing flavor explosion.

Originally our plan was to have Sunday BBQ but by the time we left the beach that was winding down. We swung past Fermin’s too see how many people were there but it was emptying out so we just continued on home to shower and change for tonights comedy show. Salt and Pepper has an early bird that includes 3 tapas and a glass of Sangria so we decided on that as our pre-show meal. We shared 6 different tapas, some were hits while some missed. Most of my S&P favorites didn’t qualify so that was a bit of a downer but no big deal our belly’s were full and we had a mission to accomplish.

I never knew how much of a trek it was from S&P to the Marriott Stellaris. A light rain started on the way there luckily as we approached (I think) the surf club we ran into some guests who showed us how to cut through the buildings. We arrived right on time.

As we stood in line for tickets we met Aruba Ray. Side note: Depending on which email address I use gmail may show a picture. Every interaction I had with him was through a non-gmail account so no picture would show up. On one occasion I accidentally used my gmail account so he knew what I looked like. Startled the crud out of me when I walked up to introduce myself and he already knew who I was.

Show was fantastic. All three comedians were over the top hilarious. I would highly recommend anyone seeing the show if you are in Aruba when it is going on. Other than Ray the comedians rotate throughout the stay so it is possible to see multiple shows during a visit and experience a minimal amount of joke repetition. Show lasts about an hour and a half. The comedians can get pretty raunchy but if you are okay with that sort of humor you’ll have a great time. Made great use of the open bar. Talked to Ray a bit more after the show, then headed off to Moomba’s.

Sundays at Moomba’s are very busy with a mix of tourists and locals. Had a few beers and a mixed drink or two but left almost immediately after the happy hour specials ended. Sunday bartenders can be kind of cheesey, we like it better on days when they actually have time to talk.

The walk back was an adventure as it started to rain as soon as we left Moomba. We spent a good hour darting in and out of various covered spaces laughing the whole way. Actually ended up being pretty fun trying to stay as dry as possible. By now we were both really hungry and heard good things about a burger place located next to the sand bar called “Jaunchi’s”. Decided to stop in to give it a try since it had stopped raining.

Prior to coming I’ve seen it described as best burger on Aruba. I didn’t see it as that... to me it was just okay, but it’ll do as a late night spot we can walk to. I ordered a bacon cheddar burger or something. Can’t say it was bad.. or good because it had too much “Jaunchi’s” sauce on it which completely masked the burger flavor. I will try it again in the future as the owner was a really nice guy but next time I’ll have it with the sauce on the side. She loved the cheese fries. Two burgers, a ton of cheese fries and a drink came to less than 20 dollars although they may have given us the drink for free.

Off to bed because the next day I finally get to have Scott’s Brat’s after the nearly 6 month wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i would really love for bully and judella to give an interview!
    I kept an eye out for Taxi 79 but never once saw it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast