Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Back From Aruba Feb 28 to March 9

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I kind of want a selfie stick and a Go Pro too for that matter. If you are looking for a good underwater camera, you may want to consider the Olympus TG-3; that's the camera that Aruba Bob Snorkeling Tours uses and their underwater pictures are phenomenal.

Your day on Palm sounds pretty great to me. I really need to try one of those Italian Beef sandwiches.
    I got the Olympus Tough Camera water camera..... Just love it..
    One of the doctor's borrowed it for his honeymoon... (my doctor as well) he scuba dived with it.
    Bought me a gift card (against my wishes) to Outbacks and refuse to charge me my co pay.

Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    Didn't abandon this trip report. There was a death in Maggie's family this past week, free time was hard to come by.
    Thinking of you guys and sending our condolences.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Sorry to hear that there was a death in your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Our condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Sorry for both you and Maggie on your loss.

Sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Thanks everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Things are more or less back to normal. Time to continue.

Wed March 4

Sounded like the shower was running it was raining so bad when we woke up. Not that it matters since we are in Aruba and there is no such thing as a wash out. Today we were heading to Eagle after another breakfast at home.

The previous day we noticed a hissing sound coming from the car and wanted to take it in the make sure it wasn’t going to explode on us. I had suspected a hose had gone bad and we were on the cusp of overheating so it was definitely something I didn’t want to ignore. Since the rain had picked up again we figured it was a perfect time to visit Royal. Just as I suspected they had to keep the jeep to do the repairs so we ended up in a Nissan Picanto. My first thoughts were “Really!?... you want us to go from a Jeep to a smart car?”

Since when in Aruba I am a firm believer of that turning lemons into lemonade thing we decided this would be a good test to see if we could get by in something that sips rather than beer bongs gasoline. We bring 2 chairs, a cooler, 2 backpacks and our papasans wherever we go, everything fit and it was only for the day so it was cool. Actually liked it by the end of the day… sort of.

Rained off and on for the beginning part of the day. We pulled our chairs back towards the shelters at the back of the beach. Place was empty so we had one all to ourselves. For lunch I walked over to the food truck across from Chalet Swiss for two chicken platters. Chicken, rice, french fries and a macaroni salad. Met a nice couple from Ohio on a cruise. Told them to make sure to get Criollo sauce on the chicken. Worker at the truck was impressed with my pronunciation. Had to widen the strap on my hat.

Maggie wasn’t feeling well… wasn’t the food. Turns out she brought a stomach bug down with her. Turns out half the people at her job had it while we were away. I ate what she didn’t finish because I hate seeing food go to waste.

Ended up being a beautiful day, we played in the water until about 3:30 or so. Turns out the waters of Aruba soothes an upset stomach.

After we left we drove around looking at houses. Royal told us they would drop the jeep off at 5:30. It was now a quarter to 6 and we were still in the picanto and as far as I was concerned they had run out of time. Just as we were pulling out to go to Arashi to watch the sunset along comes the Royal rep with our vehicle.

One thing I love about Arashi and Aruban sunsets in general is how many Arubans take time to actually enjoy the sunset. You know you are onto something special when people who have the opportunity to watch that sunset everyday still take time to enjoy it. Not sure if that special thing is the scene, the people or some combination of both.

Discovered that geckos love our archway. Made up a story that geckos grow super fast depending on how many insects they consume… my explanation why they were hanging out by the light. Maggie gets freaked out at the prospect of returning home to see a 2 foot long gecko hanging overhead. I eventually tell her I’m joking but not just yet.

We hit Casa Tua for dinner as it was something she knew she would be able to eat. As always the pizza was delicious. I haven’t had pizza everywhere on the island but of the places I have dined I place Casa Tua at the top of the list.

For most of the day and night it rained off and on making it an easy decision to head back to the villa to listen to music and relax. After walking around looking at souvenirs and art work thats exactly what we did.

I read a few chapters of Under a Blue Flag to her in a somewhat successful attempt to make her feel better. Later on in the night we decided to go looking for the El Mexicano food truck. Was actually really easy to find.

There was no line when we got there and we had no clue what to order. I went for 2 fish tacos and she got two chicken tacos, we also got 2 quesadillas. No one spoke English but there was a guy sitting in the chair next to the taco truck that translated what needed to be translated. Total was 40 florin, so about 23 dollars. Tacos were just as good as Aruba Ray claimed or at least mine were. By the time we got back to the house she didn’t feel like eating. Although she did take one bite and said they were really good. This would be confirmed when she reheated them the next day.

the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Thursday March 5th

Today was a Palm Beach day. Maggie still wasn’t feeling good and didn’t eat much for breakfast. At this point we weren’t quite sure if she was suffering from a stomach bug or food poisoning. So she wanted to stick to the familiar which was perfect for Palm since we always go to Scott’s.

Got an umbrella on Palm today… don’t usually do that but it looked like it was going to rain and also I felt a nap coming on and don’t like sleeping directly in the sun if I can help it. Got it just in time as it started to rain about 30 seconds after he stuck the umbrella into the ground. It was just a passing shower which lasted maybe 10 minutes after which the weather was perfect.

Headed down to Scott’s at about 1:30 which as it turns out was too late to get our usual Italian beef sandwiches. A large group arrived about 20 minutes earlier and bought them all up. I went for an Italian sausage and peppers and she settled on a hotdog. I loved mine she was okay with hers but it wasn’t what she wanted so she was disappointed. We spent the rest of the day floating in the water making each other laugh which kept her mind off of her stomach.

Back at the place instead of going out we decided to eat dinner in. She still had her tacos from the previous night (loved them) and we still had two quesadillas so we had those and a salad. Tonight was another comedy show. Talked to Ray before the show and he sat us right up front which I think was some sort of setup lol. I’m pretty sure every comedian that hit the stage decided I should be part of the show. I’m a pretty good sport about those kinds of things and it was actually a lot of fun. Oddly enough it turned out the couple sitting at the table next to us were also from Delaware. That’s a coincidence that never happens.

After the comedy show we stopped off at Moomba to do some people watching. Then I think we grabbed some lounge chairs and hung out on the beach for a while. I love the sound of the ocean at night. The problem is if you aren’t careful it can put you to sleep, which it almost did. We decided to make the long walk back home because if we sat on the beach any longer the next time we opened our eyes it may be morning.

As soon as we got home we both decided we didn’t have nearly enough to eat so we decided to check out the Eataly food truck which I had heard about prior to us coming. It’s located over by Eagle bowling. The food there is excellent. I became fascinated with food trucks a few years ago when gourmet food trucks first started popping up. It used to be lunch trucks just served boring lunch food but now they are basically rolling restaurants without the overhead. I ordered a platter with Lasagna, porchetta and a potato salad and Maggie ordered the lasagna. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. There was a picnic table set up at the truck but we brought ours back to the villa.

Aruba since 1979
    that is too bad that maggie had a stomach bug

thoroughly enjoyed reading your story.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast