Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Back From Aruba Feb 28 to March 9

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    that is too bad that maggie had a stomach bug

thoroughly enjoyed reading your story.

She didn't let it slow her down at all. It did effect her appetite but for the most part she just refused to let it put a damper on anything.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Aruba since 1979
    that is great.
    boy i know whan i have a stomach bug i am quite miserable and not so pleasant to be around.
    today is day 4 of a flu like thing that i am recovering from and Paul just said to me..."you WILL be better tomorrow, right"
    it was not a question.

so kudos for maggie being able to pull it together and move on in discomfort.

i was expecting you to write that you stopped for a few cans of progresso chicken soup!

Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    She didn't let it slow her down at all. It did effect her appetite but for the most part she just refused to let it put a damper on anything.

Friday March 6th

Beautiful day at Eagle Beach. Arrived a little later than we had liked but figured we would compensate by staying a bit longer. Since she was still feeling kind of icky we packed peanut butter sandwiches as they are pretty easy on the stomach.

Spent plenty of time floating in the water making each other laugh on our papasans, still love those things. Also took a nap or two on the beach. Watched a local guy building a sandcastle on the beach for a while, made me feel very peaceful. When he left he left his trash behind which was kind of a bummer. I guess its not just tourists that sometimes don’t appreciate the beauty of Aruba.

Left the beach sometime around 5 to go up to our sunset spot up past Arashi. Definitely my new favorite place in Aruba. Realized first hand how quickly it gets dark back there when the sun drops below the horizon.

After we showered and changed we went to Barney’s for all you can eat slider night. Sounds better in theory than the reality of all you can eat sliders… too much bread to really go to town. The grouper slider was my favorite of them all. Maggie wasn’t feeling all that great so (unlike AYCE places here) they bagged everything up for us to take home. I felt guilty they may have thought we didn’t like the food so I overcompensated on the tip. I love Barney’s.

Listened to music back at the villa and made each other laugh for awhile. Maggie decided she was actually ready to eat but didn’t want the sliders we brought home. Decided to head back out to the Eataly food truck. Talked with the guys for a while and brought the food back home. Once again she loved it so I guess its a keeper.

the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Saturday March 7th

Palm beach day. Parked ourselves on the beach in front of the Radisson. Just realized depending on where you are you can access Bugaloe’s wifi from the beach. Its our last Palm Beach day but that info will come in handy in the future.

Headed up to Scott’s for one last time. Had to get up there early enough to be certain Maggie could get her Italian Beef sandwich. I wanted one as well I decided to go for the Doc’s Brat and an Italian Sausage Sandwich. I try not to eat stuff like this back home so I have to load up while I can. Delicious as always.
    After lunch I think we floated in the water for about 4 hours straight just soaking in all the Palm Beach goodness. Palm is probably my least favorite of the beaches to spend time at but for some reason its typically the one that I miss the most when I leave.

No time to head up to our sunset spot as we had to shower change and be at Passions by 6:30. This was my first time eating there. The atmosphere is phenomenal but the food didn’t quite match. My grouper was pretty good but they completely botched the temperature on her meat. She ordered her filet medium and it came out mooing. The second one the brought out was better but by then… well you know how it is. In the end they took it off the bill which was good customer service but still we would have rather had a flawless meal than a discounted bill.

Went to Bugaloe after dinner... had a blast there as always. Made the most of happy hour and people watching. Saw probably the drunkest woman I have ever seen tonight. Her friends weren’t very good friends, in my opinion they let her wander a bit too much taking into account her trashed she was.

Stopped past the Sand Bar on the way back home. Very hip kind of place, not really my thing. Seems like everyone took themselves a little too seriously for it to be considered a fun place. Since they have really good drink specials and its on the way home I’ll probably revisit it from time to time. Besides those twenty somethings need a reminder that you shouldn’t take yourself too seriously, a task the Curty Two-Step is perfectly designed to do. Probably shouldn’t have had those last two beers but whatever its vacation.

Sunday March 8th

Decided our last day should be spent at Manchebo. For my money the beach directly in front of the Bucuti is the most perfect beach on Aruba. Waves were pretty large today. We had a lot of fun playing in the waves but they must have scared the heck out of the rest of the tourists because no one else spent any time in the water. We were in there most of the day.

Had lunch at Elements which is always fantastic. Perhaps my eyes were bigger than my stomach or maybe I didn’t want to spend anymore time away from the beach than necessary on my last day but I woofed down my burger but had no room for the onion rings. Kind of wish I had done Elements last night instead of Passions. I love renting a villa but if I ever decide to do a resort Bucuti has to be on the short list.

One last sunset at our spot, interrupted a couple that was back there making out. They could have continued if they wanted I was there to take pictures but not of them. Took probably the best picture I have ever taken, will probably get it blown up and framed.

The last dinner of the trip was at Tango, always solid. Walked around and looked at some souvenirs eventually ended up at Bugaloe for one last late night happy hour. Spent some time on the beach staring up at the stars before heading home. Got ridiculously hungry on the way home and decided that I wanted Wendy’s only problem is it was closed. Decided to walk through the drive through since it was open. Got some funny looks but I also got my food so it was completely worth it. At least it was worth it until I got home and realized I didn’t really want Wendy’s I just wanted to walk through the drive through.

Must have gotten whatever Maggie had as I was up all night in the bathroom… at least it waited until the end of the trip. I got to enjoy my entire trip so I couldn’t care at that point.

Monday March 9th

Woke up early (well I actually never slept) and cleaned up the house. Headed over to Salt and Pepper for breakfast. Only ordered French toast since my stomach bug was now in full swing. Enjoyed what I was able to eat then headed back to pack up the car to go over to the airport.

Earlier in the trip Maggie’s hair brush broke so we had to stop off at the drug store to pick up a new one. Ran flawlessly ever since we had gotten it back earlier in the trip but now just died. The people at the drugstore were immensely helpful with getting us in contact with Royal. The guy they sent took twice as long to arrive as he should have and decided he wanted to fix the car right there. I told him I have about 2 hours to be on a plane and he has exactly five minutes to fix the vehicle or I am taking his. 3 minutes and 45 seconds later he has our Jeep running and we are off to Royal.

When we arrived the guy inside seemed as if he had no idea what was going on with our vehicle. After I explained everything to him he decided to take my word that the vehicle was in the same shape we picked it up in. I also told him the tank was low since I didn’t want to take the chance of it not starting if I stopped to fill it up. He was agreeable, which was nice but really he didn’t have a choice since at this point I had about one hour and 45 minutes to be on the plane.

Was relieved to see the an empty airport when we arrived. Gonna have to fly home on Mondays more often. Made it from the front door to our gate in exactly 59 minutes which is a record for us. I can’t say I ever really panicked but I did step my sense of urgency way up for those last 2.5 hours. I never thought we would miss the flight and figured worst case scenario is I would get to spend another day in Aruba but none of that mattered since we made it.

On the plane ride home she took the aisle and I took the window and we had an empty seat in between. This wasn’t by accident as I put on my best I have a stomach virus face and looked as unfriendly as possible. Was able to stretch out as much as I wanted which was a lifesaver since I didn’t sleep last night. Pretty much slept the entire trip and it was wonderful.

All in all I thought it was a great trip. Didn't get to many of the restaurants we wanted to as we canceled some reservations due to her not knowing if she would feel like eating. The comedy shows were definite highlights of the trip as were the discovery of our new sunset watching spot and the Aruba's food trucks. Spent lots of time on the beach which is always a goal seeing as the Jersey and Delaware beaches we visit during the Summer just aren't the same. Wish we were able to go to the board get together but found out about it a bit too late. Really regretted not being able to have a drink with Tracey as their last day was our first day.

Aruba since 1979
    Thank you so much for your story.
    Seems like you have been home for eons.
    Time to plan the next adventure.

Yeah its been about a month now. I've been extremely busy ever since we've returned. Work, life, Maggie's cousins passing, Easter, podcasting and one of her daughters got engaged. It's been one heck of a whirlwind Not a bad thing I like being busy... keeps me out of trouble. We know we'll be going back in late summer but probably won't know the exact dates until early summer.

Hopefully we will cross paths in Aruba again one day. Thanks for taking the time with your reports. I had a laugh picturing your visit to Sand Bar and the walk-thru at Wendys.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast