Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Back from Aruba...yes, the "dissapointed" guy...

Back from Aruba...yes, the "dissapointed" guy...

Well...the other thread was closed, so I couldn't give an update of our trip there.

I saw a few people thought I posted what I did just to get a jolt reaction, but that really wasn't the case. ...it was just my feelings after I arrived on the island.In the end, we ended up loving the island and wanted to stay another week if it was possible.

The initial problem was the initial impression...we got in to Aruba around 3pm, checked in, etc...then decided to head to the beach around 4:30 or so. Well...no one had mentioned on here that the beach looks best in the mornings and around noon...as the sun starts to set, the water loses that aqua blue color, especially if there are a few clouds in the sky.
    The next day, we went to the beach around 11am and it was magnificent, exactly what I had pictured in my head that it should look like. I posted a picture thread, but it got deleted because it was in the wrong forum...so I'll repost it in the Gallery section in a minute.

As I said, we ended up loving the trip...but I would be lying if I didn't say that it was still a bit of a surprised.
    The online marketing, as well as people who talk about it, don't really ever go into talking about the island itself...the city, and the surrounding areas. If you've traveled the world a little, especially slightly poorer regions, then there won't be any shock to Aruba...but if it's your first time leaving the US, the grittiness of Aruba may come as a surprised. Personally, I enjoyed it, it reminded me a lot of my home country of Romania...but I completely did not expect it upon arrival...I was expecting a more exotic form of Hawaii and it wasn't anything like that.

Either way...great trip, great memories...and the proposal I planned was a success!

Aruba W*e*a*t*h*e*r

HI,
    this is jessica,Aruba has an average rainfall of less than 20 inches a year. And with an average daytime temperature of 82 Fahrenheit,a location completely outside the hurricane belt, and the constant cooling influence of the trade winds, aruba is one of the most temperate island in the caribbean.
    ================================================== ==========
    jessica

Colorado Drug Addiction

the grittiness of the island is limited to downtown and the outlying areas of the island - i believe you were staying at the renaissance? most tourists opt for the high rises on the palm beach section of the island where one would not notice the somewhat destitute conditions of the island. moreover, it seems that the local authorities have decided to forgo developing the downtown areas in lieu of developing palm beach (i.e. the new mall). but, as in any caribbean island or locale that is practically wholly dependent on the tourism industry, i find aruba to be at par with the others in regards to the local areas. with limited funds to begin with, one has to decide where the money will be best spent - on the local population or on the tourist attractions? in most cases, the latter will be the case as its a revenue driver.

but i'm glad you enjoyed your trip and congrats on your engagement. hope this doesn't turn you off on aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    i find your word "grittiness" confusing.
    would you please explain to all of us that have been going to aruba for years and for all of us that have not been to aruba?

are you talking about the conucu area? the countryside where folks have small somewhat rustic/basic homes? "gritty?"

are you talking about the homes in the back of the downtown o'staad or san nicolas?

are you talking about the lack of lush tropical greens throughout the downtown and the countryside? "gritty?"

aruba is not a lush green island full of lush green vegetation.
    it is a desert.
    there is cactus, some/limited green stuff (mainly at the resorts where there is good irrigation)

run down areas? certainly, but in no way comparable to any other caribbean island with the exception of bonaire and maybe curacao.
    heck the run down areas could not hold a candle to what in my opinion are horrid living conditions/project-like apartents right here in central maine. (who knew that central maine had such extreme poverty that some of these folks live in what i describe as low end tenements............we have been living here for 2 months)

what may be run down in "my or your eyes" may be the "ritz" in other's eyes.

the average aruban lives quite simply, cleanly and there is no/little unemployment.
    arubans are well educated, especially those under age 60.

glad that your bit of a disappointment was able to be rectified on day 2 when you saw it from a whole different light.

we look forward to your "aruba story" in the correct thread and your lovely photos in the gallery.

we look forward to reading your opinions.
    after all this is a board of opinions and bantering.

andrea j.

Well said, Andrea J. Without sounding offensive, you did clarify what Aruba really is and how the people live there. I, also, do not find it as grittiness in regard to the homes and downtown area. Of course, I wish congratulations on the acceptance of his proposal; and hope the correspondent returns and learns to love the Island, more, as we do.

I agree - i have been to other islands and to cancun where you cannot leave the hotel area without being in danger and without coming home with gi upset. I feel so safe and welcome in aruba and the restaurants are so good. However, when you arrive for the first time it does not look as tropical as these islands until you get to the eagle and palm beach area. Then it is so beautiful it wins your heart!!

Joanie a

aruba gets better every time you visit.The more comfortable you become with the island, the more people you interact with, the more places you see, the more enjoyable the experience.

Talking

I have to agree my initial visit April/May 2005 I was really socked when we landed in Aruba. I was totally expecting pretty,lush so to speak. Once we got to our room I was again shocked at LaCabana's rooms, I was not expecting tile floors and the hotel feel.
    However once we got to the pool and beach and ate our first meals at the wonderful restaurants I was hooked. The pool area, the waitresses seemed like they actually enjoyed doing their jobs, the beach and water oh my gosh, I could go on and on. With 22 days and counting down I can not wait to get back there. 4th trip in 4 years, and next years trip already being planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i find your word "grittiness" confusing.
    would you please explain to all of us that have been going to aruba for years and for all of us that have not been to aruba?

are you talking about the conucu area? the countryside where folks have small somewhat rustic/basic homes? "gritty?"

are you talking about the homes in the back of the downtown o'staad or san nicolas?

are you talking about the lack of lush tropical greens throughout the downtown and the countryside? "gritty?"

aruba is not a lush green island full of lush green vegetation.
    it is a desert.
    there is cactus, some/limited green stuff (mainly at the resorts where there is good irrigation)

run down areas? certainly, but in no way comparable to any other caribbean island with the exception of bonaire and maybe curacao.
    heck the run down areas could not hold a candle to what in my opinion are horrid living conditions/project-like apartents right here in central maine. (who knew that central maine had such extreme poverty that some of these folks live in what i describe as low end tenements............we have been living here for 2 months)

what may be run down in "my or your eyes" may be the "ritz" in other's eyes.

the average aruban lives quite simply, cleanly and there is no/little unemployment.
    arubans are well educated, especially those under age 60.

glad that your bit of a disappointment was able to be rectified on day 2 when you saw it from a whole different light.

we look forward to your "aruba story" in the correct thread and your lovely photos in the gallery.

we look forward to reading your opinions.
    after all this is a board of opinions and bantering.

andrea j.
    WELL SAID ANDREA J.
    aruba lover 99

45 th trip coming soon

I suppose if you go to Aruba expecting Hawaii you would be disappointed...it is not a "tropical" paradise. A desert yes, as Andrea stated, most of the lust greenery is by the hotels where they are tended to everyday in order to look like that. When we stepped off the boat in Aruba the first time, I had no pre-conceptions about what to expect, just fell in love immediately.
    The first thing that I noticed was the lack of "panhandling"...Lady buy this, Lady buy that, braid your hair...etc....I realize this is a way of life for many caribbean islands, but that kind of space-invading(for lack of a better word) is what makes me want to only go back to Aruba because you do not find that there.....mostly. I have been aproached parking the car by Charlie's Bar in SanNic, but otherwise it seems Arubans live in harmony. If you notice, a very expensive home right beside what we would not consider the best living conditions, but it is a way of life there....so if it works, they must be doing something right.
    Anyway, just my 2cents.....love the island so much I would never consider any place else!!!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast