Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Back from Our First Visit!

Back from Our First Visit!

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their awesome advice and do a quick trip review

We absolutely loved Aruba! My son (14), my husband, and I went from April 3-9 and stayed at the Tamarijn. We were in the 1600 building, 2nd floor. Our room was great-very clean and well maintained. I had emailed and made a few room requests. The room matched my requests perfectly. The bartenders, housekeeping staff, and other staff members were all excellent. The beach and water were beautiful. We rented a truck one day and toured the island. It was fascinating to see the differences between the 2 sides of the island. We met lots of local people and enjoyed seeing the harbor as well. Other than that one day, we spent the rest of our trip at the Tamarijn and the Divi. Internet service was not available in the rooms. You had to buy time in the internet cafe. Most of the time half of the computers were not working, but we never had to wait to check our email. About half of the treadmills in the fitness center were not working either, but we never saw all of them being used. The 1200 building was being renovated-it was totally closed to guests and there were typical construction noises daily on that side of the resort, but no one seemed to mind. My son is already planning our trip back next Spring Break. We are looking for another family who will join us

My helpful hints echo those who gave me such good advice on the forum. Here are my Top 10:
    1. Definitely bring clips to attach your beach towel to the chair. The wind is very strong, and it will also reserve your spot for the day.
    2. I regret not bringing more swimsuit coverups, and I definitely didn't need all of the "resort" clothes I brought. Would have been much easier to slip a coverup over my swimsuit for breakfast and lunch at the buffet.
    3. Take the time to get to know the bartenders and other resort staff. They were so helpful and kept an eye out for our son. He enjoyed the freedom of meeting friends and hanging out on his own, and we appreciated the fact that they looked out for him.
    4. Make your dinner reservations EARLY! We were barely able to try all of the fine dining choices because we didn't book any our first day there. They take reservations 2 days in advance so be sure to go each morning and take care of that first thing...
    5. If you are a non-smoker, be ready for smoking everywhere. Consider reserving a beach hut/umbrella slightly more secluded (and upwind) so you can get a break from the constant smell.
    6. Don't forget your Tervis Tumblers (or any other insulated beverage containers). They came in handy for water to take to the beach, coffee to take back to our room, and other drinks when we were walking or taking the shuttle between the two resorts.
    7. Do bring lots of small bills for tips. It's sometimes hard to get change and this definitely saves you time.
    8. Bring more sunscreen that you think you need. We didn't burn (saw lots who did) but used sunscreen diligently and were glad we didn't have to "ration" it.
    9. Ladies, the wind is strong! (I know I said it earlier, but it bears repeating) I brought hair clips for the beach but they weren't enough. Consider a headband to be able to see as you walk. I bought one there.
    10. Take time to check out the nightly shows. From salsa dancing to karaoke with everything in between, they were great opportunities to meet other guests, see some unique entertainment, and talk with the staff as well.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about our trip.
    Michele

P.S. Just thought of one more---if you want to rent a Jeep, do so before you arrive. Jeeps were sold out at all of the car rental agencies we checked. We had to make do with a truck. It worked fine, but we missed the Jeep experience.

Boy that was quick Another AA member = Aruba Addicts

What kind of truck did you end up with and who did you rent it from?
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks for your report, and I am so glad you enjoyed it. AND you'll be back.
    Pat

Awesome,, sounds like you had a great time...Where did you eat?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Awesome tips. Did you go all inclusive? If you did did you book this before hand?
    Im having trouble finding a jeep now and Im not going until July.
    Were all the shows at the divi resorts or did you travel?
    My daughter is 15, were there activities for them or did your son just wander to find people.
    Thanks for the hint about smoking that is a big anoyance for us.

Aruba since 1979
    the tamarijn is all inclusive

great tip report!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chouth View Post
    Awesome tips. Did you go all inclusive? If you did did you book this before hand?
    Im having trouble finding a jeep now and Im not going until July.
    Were all the shows at the divi resorts or did you travel?
    My daughter is 15, were there activities for them or did your son just wander to find people.
    Thanks for the hint about smoking that is a big anoyance for us.

Here are follow up answers:
    We rented a Toyota Hilux from Amigo Car Rental. It was not a 4X4 truck; they were out of those as well as Jeeps. They said it would go everywhere a 4X4 would...the beach roads are extremely rocky and sometimes difficult to maneuver. I would suggest a 4X4, no matter what type, to keep your stress level low and to keep you from killing your husband when he drives like a maniac determined to see every natural attraction on the island!
    We chose the Tamarijn all inclusive package so we didn't eat anywhere other than the 2 Divi resorts. We're not huge foodies. We tend to pick our vacations for the activities more than the dining, but we were pleased with the variety offered at the buffets and the fine dining restaurants on site.
    I purchased our package in January through American Express Travel. They beat other internet sites and our local travel agent (plus I got bonus points
    Our son met other teenagers at the pool table area and at the afternoon pool volleyball. The main activities were training sessions for the water sports and a daily event at the pool with a DJ or host.
    All the shows were at the Tamarijn. They gave us a calendar for the week when we arrived. Some examples: Reggae Band, Karaoke Party, Popcorn Dancers, Carnival Show, Mariachi Band and Salsa Dancing Instruction, Circus Show

I like to hear I'm not the only one who had problems with the wind and doing my hair. I feel like all the women I saw must have had some strong hairspray to wear their hair down and have it look so nice. I did my hair once on my 7 day vacation and that lasted about 20 minutes until the wind destroyed it. hahah

Aruba since 1979
    everyone who has hair longer than 3 inches has "wind situation".

the magic words for hair are Pull it back or hair spray and hair product.

the wind can be problematic to those with long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    everyone who has hair longer than 3 inches has "wind situation"
    Or CURLS

Hair bands = a girl's best friend
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 02-07-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast