Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of thieves

The boardwalk is in front of the high rise hotels on the beach side approx 2 miles long from Divi Phoenix to the Marriot, there is a small section of just beach between Holiday and Moomba Beach. The crime I heard about or witnessed in Aruba is just a fraction of what I deal with in the area I live and work back in the states.

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    Thefts do occur on Aruba. Usually, they are someone who knows what time of day you come and go. Two employees of restaurants/clubs I know were robbed last year, while they were at work. Another friend had a laptop and camera stolen from a car (but leaving that in a car, even during the day, is "asking for it"). The short answer is to lock up valuables. Also, if you are only using your laptop for email, consider bringing your iPhone/blackberry or a small, portable device that stays on you, instead of the computer. If you are on a low floor accessible to the outside via a sliding door, be proactive enough to make sure the locks are working when you first arrive in the room. If you tell the hotel, they become liable for the theft, as soon as they log the complaint into their maintenance service log for a repair.

Aruba since 1979
    the walkway along the beachfront of the high rises (marriott holiday inn, playa linda, occidental etc......i think it goes all of the way down to the westin)
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
    What boardwalk are we talking about? Not that I am looking to score any grass or anything.

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    We just got back on Feb 14th. We saw no sign of drugs anywhere and we were out each night. I was on the boardwalk by the Renaissance numerous times and saw no unsavory charactors.
    Before leaving I had read about a pending Airport Strike or slowdown. We also encountered nothing of that sort either. It was our 6th trip and as much fun as the first. We tried and enjoyed some new restaurants. My only complaint was that the fish at Marina Pirata was
    hard as a rock. Going back next March

Just Got Back 2-15-09

We just got back from staying at the holiday inn for are 10th time.Great trip,did not see or have any problems.But people please use common sence.Put your stuff away they give you a safe.Dont leave your computor a foot away from the door way so when the maids cleaning some one can grab it.Store it in your dresser away from the door.Have a safe trip.

My sister just returned from a 3 week visit. And said the theft is worse now than in Nov when they were there. She was on the beach and an elderly couple from a cruise ship got their belongings stolen when they were swimming, luckily they had put their id's in their shoes and hung them up near by. Another couple put the rental car keys in a bag and the keys and car were taken while they were swimming at Baby Beach. They thought the theives were watching them as they left vehicle open and unlock. We arrive Wed and are going to be more careful than last year. Be careful.

Katie

Sorry to hear that crime is on the rise. Sounds like extra precautions are in order no mattter where you are.

Hi guys.
    My husband and I have been traveling for many years and have developed a little travel savy along the way. When we go to Aruba, most of our cash and passports go immediately in the hotel safe. When we leave anything valuable in the room( my husbands $2500 Nikon), everything is locked in the suitcases with TSA luggage locks. We also bring 3 extra locks to lock link the bags together. It is unfortunate that a very small percentage of hotel employees or arubians are shady. It's ultimately up to each traveler to watch their own interests. I, as a woman, never walk alone and never carry or flash big money. I always shade the number pad at bank machine or public telephone. It's just good sense.

My opinion is that anywhere you go or vacation you have to use common sense and precaution. Aruba is one of - if not “THE” - safest vacation destinations in the Caribbean. Even still, you shouldn’t leave your valuables unattended, and things of exceptional value maybe shouldn’t travel with you at all.

Additionally, there seem to be a LOT of rumors going around. While there may have been a few isolated incidents, I think that stories have gotten extremely blown out of proportion. I think that there may be individuals who want to damage the reputation of certain resorts, for various unknown reasons.

I got caught up in the hype and wrote a frantic letter to the RIU because we are/were considering staying there this summer. The response I received couldn’t have been nicer or more informative. Upon review of these negative posts that have been popping up on every Aruba board on the web about the RIU, they all seem a bit fishy. Am I saying that thefts do not happen? Of course not. But I think that some tales have been sensationalized or fabricated altogether. We love Aruba, right along with everyone on this forum, and have never had a problem or witnessed a problem with theft. We have never felt unsafe, and we have never felt like we had to behave as if we were in a motel in a high-crime city. I think everyone needs to keep things in perspective, and remember that you can’t always believe what you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo78 View Post
    Additionally, there seem to be a LOT of rumors going around. While there may have been a few isolated incidents, I think that stories have gotten extremely blown out of proportion.
    Rumors however may be truth when Diario reports that two Riu employees were arrested for allegedly stealing.

Yes, Aruba is primarily a safe island. Take the same precautions you would at home.

Addtional info on the Riu and folks with room theft
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147249-d151277-r24800384-Riu_Palace_Aruba-Palm_Eagle_Beach_Aruba.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast