Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beware of thieves

Thanks Arubalisa, I'm reviewing the info you linked now. I appreciate being properly informed and finding places where factual information is cited.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for the additional links!
    andrea

It just kills me to hear all of this....we have been very lucky AND TRUSTING !!! My girlfriend and her Dh own one week with my Dh and I and every year I encourage her to put her money into the safe and every year she just laughs at me....tells me I am paranoid...I say I am just using common sense...why make it so easy ???
    Now I can tell her this and hopefully she will put her stash into the safe....and now this gives me another reason not to take a laptop with me...nowhere to keep it safe !!!!
    Hopefully the ATA will read this and encourage the gov't to be more attentive to the antics of those that wish to ruin a good business...tourism!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

From what I am told from someone "in the know", is that the safes that have keys are fine as the only way to get in is to drill it. The safes with the number pad, where you enter your own code are the problem. Security staff know how to over ride the codes. Apparently, this was the case with the Riu and their break ins.

Just as an aside, the Aruban people are really the best. Some of the issues at the Riu, I am told, are that this hotel will only hire their own staff from outside Aruba. If an Aruban applies for a job there they are overlooked.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Some of the issues at the Riu, I am told, are that this hotel will only hire their own staff from outside Aruba. If an Aruban applies for a job there they are overlooked.
    According to the article in Diario, the tourists arrived in their room and found an Aruban and a Venezuelan in their room.

I guess this may fall into Andrea's quote of the day rumour vs. fact, but a Aruban friend of mine did explain that many Aruban people very qualified, if not over qualified have been turned down by the hotel as they are/or prefer to bring their own people from another country. Of course, this is their choice and there are lots of good people from all over the world but the people of Aruba are truly wonderful people!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    i have heard the same thing too randi
    ranging from construction of the resort to the day to day operations.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I guess this may fall into Andrea's quote of the day rumour vs. fact, but a Aruban friend of mine did explain that many Aruban people very qualified, if not over qualified have been turned down by the hotel as they are/or prefer to bring their own people from another country. Of course, this is their choice and there are lots of good people from all over the world but the people of Aruba are truly wonderful people!

It's just really sad. I think if you are smart and do a couple things in advance (amex trip insurance) on your rental, don't bring "the good jewelry", use the safe behind the desk if available and make sure everything is "out of sight". You are in good shape.

I just wish that whatever organization in Aruba could do something to add more patrol people by the hotel areas and get serious about how they handle robberies (take them seriously or at least show some interest) - the crime would go down greatly. This isn't a big island and a little could go a long way!

rjlaruba

We spent a month in Aruba, we also heard about a lot of breakins at Rui, we were told they only have 2 guards for the whole complex??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123