Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Burghboy aka ArubaCurt September 2015 trip report

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach

Burghboy aka ArubaCurt September 2015 trip report

Saturday Sept 6

So we left BWI Saturday morning at 7:10 am. That airport is so darn easy. We left the hotel at 5:30 for the flight and were at our gate by about 6:05. This year we weren't able to have a direct flight so we had a connection in Orlando. Both flights were pretty uneventful even though there were a lot babies on board. At one point 5 couples in a row walked on infants. Didn't hear much crying so I guess I was either in too deep of a sleep or those babies were extremely easy going.

Had to circle Aruba 6 times before we were able to land. I guess there were a bunch of planes coming in from Venezuela or something. When we finally were on the ground they held us upstairs because the immigration queues were pretty backed up. In total I would say it took us about 30 minutes to get through. Our bags were already off the carousel by the time we got to them so it was as simple as grabbing them and going.

The guy from Royal was waiting for us right outside, he was super nice but then again that's nothing unusual. The real test happens when you get to the agency. Walked in and the grouchy guy gave us service with a smile. He's so hit or miss. When they brought the jeep around to us something seemed off. Booked and paid for a 2 door jeep but they gave us a 4 door instead. Thought about telling them I only wanted a 2 door because of gas but decided against it because I love space and this vehicle has a ton.

After picking up the vehicle headed over to Ling’s to grab supplies. As we were circling Aruba we decided to make our grocery list. Well actually we had already made one but somehow misplaced it. Didn’t get too elaborate so it was pretty easy to recreate. Made it out of Ling’s for less than 200 bucks (alcohol included) that is more or less a record for us. Somehow ended up in the bag your own stuff line. No big deal I use it at home all the time, although sometimes it is fun to interact with the guys who bring your groceries to the car. Loaded up our monstrous rental and went to the villa to unpack.

After putting everything away we got changed and headed up to the “Local Store” to try some of their menu. Ordered a rum punch and aruba ariba to sip on while our food was being packaged up for takeaway. Got fried pickles, funchi fries, pastechis and a burger and fries to split. Wanted to get up to Arashi to check out the sunset so that’s how we ate our first meal in Aruba. Was simply incredible.

Once it got dark we went back to the villa to shwer and head out to Bugaloe for karaoke and a few cocktails. Was kind of quiet, I guess the electric festival is drawing everyone in as Palm Beach was deserted. Stayed at Bugaloe for their late night happy hour. After that we walked on back to the car and decided to go looking for food.

Taco truck must have been at the Electric festival so we stopped off at Chalo burger to give it a try. I have heard good things but you never know until you try it yourself. Burgers were huge and pretty good but had too much “stuff” on them for my liking. Met some really drunk guys from Connecticut who didn’t realize most food trucks only take cash. I’m glad they asked if they took plastic before they ordered or I would have probably felt compelled to pay for their meal but since they did ask they knew they only had a 20 dollars between them. 3 hot dogs and 2 cokes was what they ended up with. I’m an adventurous eater but hotdogs in a foreign country from a food truck where no one speaks english is where I draw the line.

Went back to the rental. Scarfed down our burgers and slept like a baby.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Aruba since 1979
    sounds terrific curt.

frustrating having to circle aruba due to traffic. i dont think we have ever encountered that situation.

burgers/fries etc on arashi for sunset is a perfect way to end daylight on aruba.

have fun and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    Saturday Sept 6

So we left BWI Saturday morning at 7:10 am. That airport is so darn easy. We left the hotel at 5:30 for the flight and were at our gate by about 6:05. This year we weren't able to have a direct flight so we had a connection in Orlando. Both flights were pretty uneventful even though there were a lot babies on board. At one point 5 couples in a row walked on infants. Didn't hear much crying so I guess I was either in too deep of a sleep or those babies were extremely easy going.

Had to circle Aruba 6 times before we were able to land. I guess there were a bunch of planes coming in from Venezuela or something. When we finally were on the ground they held us upstairs because the immigration queues were pretty backed up. In total I would say it took us about 30 minutes to get through. Our bags were already off the carousel by the time we got to them so it was as simple as grabbing them and going.

The guy from Royal was waiting for us right outside, he was super nice but then again that's nothing unusual. The real test happens when you get to the agency. Walked in and the grouchy guy gave us service with a smile. He's so hit or miss. When they brought the jeep around to us something seemed off. Booked and paid for a 2 door jeep but they gave us a 4 door instead. Thought about telling them I only wanted a 2 door because of gas but decided against it because I love space and this vehicle has a ton.

After picking up the vehicle headed over to Ling’s to grab supplies. As we were circling Aruba we decided to make our grocery list. Well actually we had already made one but somehow misplaced it. Didn’t get too elaborate so it was pretty easy to recreate. Made it out of Ling’s for less than 200 bucks (alcohol included) that is more or less a record for us. Somehow ended up in the bag your own stuff line. No big deal I use it at home all the time, although sometimes it is fun to interact with the guys who bring your groceries to the car. Loaded up our monstrous rental and went to the villa to unpack.

After putting everything away we got changed and headed up to the “Local Store” to try some of their menu. Ordered a rum punch and aruba ariba to sip on while our food was being packaged up for takeaway. Got fried pickles, funchi fries, pastechis and a burger and fries to split. Wanted to get up to Arashi to check out the sunset so that’s how we ate our first meal in Aruba. Was simply incredible.

Once it got dark we went back to the villa to shwer and head out to Bugaloe for karaoke and a few cocktails. Was kind of quiet, I guess the electric festival is drawing everyone in as Palm Beach was deserted. Stayed at Bugaloe for their late night happy hour. After that we walked on back to the car and decided to go looking for food.

Taco truck must have been at the Electric festival so we stopped off at Chalo burger to give it a try. I have heard good things but you never know until you try it yourself. Burgers were huge and pretty good but had too much “stuff” on them for my liking. Met some really drunk guys from Connecticut who didn’t realize most food trucks only take cash. I’m glad they asked if they took plastic before they ordered or I would have probably felt compelled to pay for their meal but since they did ask they knew they only had a 20 dollars between them. 3 hot dogs and 2 cokes was what they ended up with. I’m an adventurous eater but hotdogs in a foreign country from a food truck where no one speaks english is where I draw the line.

Went back to the rental. Scarfed down our burgers and slept like a baby.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Great start for your vacation, Curt! What an incredible opportunity to circle the island six times! I would have taken a ton of pictures!

Royal is my favorite car rental. Cannot remember grouchy, but service and vehicle was good. Awesome to grab some food and enjoy your first sunset at Arashi beach!

Thanks for taking the time and letting us be part of your Aruba adventure!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    The CELEB has arrived!!
    have a blast Curt and Maggie🌴🍷

Looking forward to your posts. Already, I can see this trip won't be boring
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

The fun begins. Enjoy your vacation!

Glad you are all off to a good start...
    Hot dogs in Aruba... heck I had to try something different all the time...
    Food that I don't get at home and won't be able to either...
    making me want to return for it too.

Glad you made it in safe and sound! See you and Maggie this afternoon!!

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    What a great start to a great trip! I'll admit, I was a little green with envy when you talked about eating dinner at Arashi . Sounds perfect.

Sounds like a perfect first day in Aruba. Please keep the reports coming this way ! Enjoy

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast