Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Burghboy aka ArubaCurt September 2015 trip report

Most importantly: what did you perform at karaoke?!??

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Most importantly: what did you perform at karaoke?!??
    Sadly this time I was just a spectator. Just as I went to ask for the book some lady sang a well rehearsed, pitch perfect, self esteem destroying rendition of New York State of Mind. I ordered another round.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Sunday Sept 6

Woke up way too late. I guess the combo of being tired and Bugaloe late night happy hour got to us. Didn’t leave for the beach until 10 am. Was one of those days where you didn’t feel right anywhere but in the water, so we didn’t fight that feeling. In total I would say we spent about 4 out of our 5 hours floating on papasans (thanks cindy and rob). Palm was a ghost town today for whatever reason. I counted 4 rented umbrellas on the beach from the Hilton up to the Occidental. I’m guessing there were no cruise ships in port.

Left the beach at about 3:30 to pick up Sunday bbq. Was looking for the New Wei Tai on Vallon Davis’s recommendation but in my mind it registered as the Ting Wai. Needless to say I went to the wrong place. Decided we’d just go to Fermin’s. They are under new management and cleaned the place up a lot. Got a sampler platter for 2 to go. Took it back to the villa to munch on and get changed for a little Happy Hour over at a new friend of ours place. The food was delicious, cheap and plentiful. I’d recommend it.

Cheryl was someone I interviewed on my podcast who lives on island. We went to Gold Coast where she lives and at first couldn’t find the place but decided to knock on the door of the most likely spot. Got it right on the first try. Awesome house! Didn’t even know they had free standing homes in Gold Coast. Lots of people there some I had spoken with but most were completely new. Everyone there was really down to earth. It was a bring your own beef dinner party with the chef from Barney’s manning the grill. Wish we had been able to stay for dinner but had previous plans for Maggie’s favorite Tango.

Had a wonderful dinner experience at Tango. After we were seated our waiter Rutger (pronounced Rodger) comes over and says, “you’ve been here before”. We acknowledge and he says, “in these same seats right?”. Okay this off to a great start. So he’s running down the list of specials and he says we have a 16 ounce rib eye which I think you had last time. Okay at this point he is just showing off lol, but I was sold and so was the ribeye. Not sure how he remembered us in such great detail but he officially gets put into my pantheon of exceptional waiters. The guy was phenomenal.

I must be either be losing my touch or getting soft because there was a time when I could put down that steak and be looking for a late night snack. Instead I allowed 16 measly ounces of beef to put me in a meat coma that would be impossible to shake. I thought about fighting it but in the end decided that it was probably best to give in and hit the sack early or at least early for us. By the time I got finished eating Oreos and other villa pantry junk snacks it ended up being 12:30 but hey at least my bed was only a few steps away.

the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Nice and relaxing full first day on Aruba.

When you interviewed Cheryl for your podcast, was this on a previous trip to Aruba or via Skype? Just wondering. I'm still smiling ear to ear when I think about Cheryl's interview, how much her voice and her way of talking reminds me of my good friend there on Aruba!

Thanks again for taking the time to let us be part of your vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Nice and relaxing full first day on Aruba.

When you interviewed Cheryl for your podcast, was this on a previous trip to Aruba or via Skype? Just wondering. I'm still smiling ear to ear when I think about Cheryl's interview, how much her voice and her way of talking reminds me of my good friend there on Aruba!

Thanks again for taking the time to let us be part of your vacation!
    Always on Skype... audio only. She was the first person I'd ever met that had been interviewed, listened to or even heard of the show. Going to try to meet up with her again tonight but we have a dinner reservation that may make it difficult to do anything but dinner.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Curt
    i am enjoying your vacation
    thanks for taking the time to chat with us!
    getting invited to aruba friends home is fun!!

Sounds like an amazing first few days Thanks for sharing!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    16 oz of steak does indeed cause "meat coma"

continue to have a ball

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    Always on Skype... audio only. She was the first person I'd ever met that had been interviewed, listened to or even heard of the show. Going to try to meet up with her again tonight but we have a dinner reservation that may make it difficult to do anything but dinner.
    Thanks, Curt! The audio of the podcast is so good that it sounded like you are interviewing your guests face to face.
    How exciting that you will meet Cheryl again!

Have a blast whatever you do!

Hey Curt!! Glad to hear that you both made it to Aruba safely and without any hiccups. Except for having to circle six times and wait upon landing due to the backlog in the Immigration Hall. Hopefully you can check out the Carubbian Festival in San Nicholas on Thursday night. It's a Mini-Carnival in the town that features a lot of music, carnival costumes and of course local food( I think they do barbecue ribs there as well). Anyhow, hope that all is well with you. Enjoy your trip and be sure to kick back and relax.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast