Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Burghboy aka ArubaCurt September 2015 trip report

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    I thought that was an Akita but wasn't 100 percent certain. I was infatuated with them when I was a child. Actually we didn't have pets growing up (unless you count fish and my iguana). As an adult I've had a few cats and only one dog. I've learned that I don't handle animal death well at all. Right now we still have one cat. When she goes that's going to be devastating around here. Once that happens we may get another dog but right now our lives are more suited for cats.
    Do you have a picture of the dog? Over the years we rescued many Akitas. My avatar shows "Kuma", an Akita we took out of our local kill shelter.
    I understand and accept if you are hesitant right now, it's a big decision and it should be a forever home for the dog. I know about being devastated loosing a beloved pet, they are our kids, our companions, our family members. When the time is right, you will know when you will open your heart and home for one of those cuties.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Do you have a picture of the dog? Over the years we rescued many Akitas. My avatar shows "Kuma", an Akita we took out of our local kill shelter.
    I understand and accept if you are hesitant right now, it's a big decision and it should be a forever home for the dog. I know about being devastated loosing a beloved pet, they are our kids, our companions, our family members. When the time is right, you will know when you will open your heart and home for one of those cuties.
    I have to go back through all the photos to know for certain what I have. I know I have a picture of mama but I'm not certain about Elvis as I didn't take as many photos the first day we were there. One thing I have to clean up about vacations is sometimes I get so caught up living the moments that I forget to capture them someplace other than my heart and mind.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    I have to go back through all the photos to know for certain what I have. I know I have a picture of mama but I'm not certain about Elvis as I didn't take as many photos the first day we were there. One thing I have to clean up about vacations is sometimes I get so caught up living the moments that I forget to capture them someplace other than my heart and mind.
    Same here!

Saturday Sept 12

Woke up early and knew we needed to go back to the shelter today as it would be our last opportunity this trip. It’s amazing how easy it was to find the shelter the second time around. Lots of activity today there were at least 3 families there. I think they said there had already been four adoptions that day and it was only like 9am. Took a few more pictures today with the doggies. Mama was out and about but I didn’t see my buddy Elvis, I guess he was sleeping in or just busy.

Didn’t realize it while at the shelter but I was feeling pretty rough after the party bus. Needed some Scott’s Brats so even though we were going to head back to Manchebo decided on going to Palm.

Got in the water immediately as that always takes the edge off a hangover. Couldn’t even think about doing anything but drinking water in the short term. Must have drank about a gallon of it and it was soooo good.
    Made our way to Scott’s for an Italian beef sandwich, although the brats smelled so good. Didn’t think the sandwich tasted as good this time around but I thought it was just because I was feeling a little blah. After we finished Maggie mentioned the taste as well so my feeling were validated. Must have just been an off day.

Went back to Eduardo’s. I could see that place becoming very addictive. I asked for something that would help settle my stomach and she gave me some delicious tasting juice concoction that did the trick. May have to start using the way too expensive juicer I bought last year and used once.

Spent the rest of the day floating around at Palm. Actually stayed there late enough to watch the sunset. Decided we would call to see if we could get back into Quinta tonight. According to the car rental guys we were down the absolute slowest time of the entire year, not a bad thing as far as I’m concerned. Called Quinta to see if they could fit us in at 8:30 they said yes and we were set.

Tonight for apps we chose the goat cheese fritter for Maggie and the calamari for me. Our mains were Burgerloin with a red pepper compote for her and the sea bass with white truffle sauce for me. Great dinner! Wasn’t blown away the way I was the first night but that was probably the perfect meal so I expected some drop off. I also think the waitress was a bit of a turnoff. The first night our waiter was phenomenal tonight it seemed as if she was more interested in getting us to buy a bottle of wine than providing a great experience. After the initial push she asked us if we were sure 3 more times… a bit excessive.

Stopped by the Eataly food truck for dessert. As promised Davide had a cannoli waiting for me. They were really busy that night, about 4 groups ahead of us. While there a family had placed an order but one of the things they wanted was the last they had and it wasn’t up to his quality standards so he went to explain that to them. Not the sort of service you would have gotten from a food truck 5 years ago.

Spoke with him for a bit about how and why they got started. Turns out he and his wife helped get Amore Mio off the ground (I believe she still has a hand in running it). He got burned out on the restaurant scene and wanted to bring restaurant quality food to the locals at a cheaper price. Got in touch with a buddy back home in Italy who ran the Eataly food truck there and asked him if he wanted to come to Aruba to open one. Minimal startup costs and low overhead now allows him to feed family of 4 locals great food for relatively low prices.
    Cannoli was amazing!

the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Can you remind us where to find the Eataly food truck?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    i hope curt does not mind me answering...if he is at work he may not get here til later.

EATALY to the best of my knowlegde is located near/at the bowling alley parking lot.. near the traffic circle/roundabout.
    https://www.facebook.com/LoscoVillaNV

Glad to hear your first QDC experience was better than ours! Sorry about the 2nd....

I think our life is more suited for cats and their independence right now too, but don't know what I would do without my pups!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i hope curt does not mind me answering...if he is at work he may not get here til later.

EATALY to the best of my knowlegde is located near/at the bowling alley parking lot.. near the traffic circle/roundabout.
    https://www.facebook.com/LoscoVillaNV
    Of course I don't mind. That's exactly where it is but if there is a festival or special event going on they tend to adjust their operating hours and location to take advantage of the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Glad to hear your first QDC experience was better than ours! Sorry about the 2nd....

I think our life is more suited for cats and their independence right now too, but don't know what I would do without my pups!
    The first time at QDC was phenomenal the second time was still pretty good (better than most) just not mind blowing.

Sunday Sept 13

Started off the day by going to Eagle Beach, thinking we would have lunch at the food truck. Didn’t think that since it was Sunday they wouldn’t be open. Started to get hungry about noon and needed to leave to find sustenance. Putkowski had told us about his current favorite Sunday BBQ joint so that was an option but it was a little too far off the beaten path and we weren’t finished beaching it being our last full day. Decided the best course of action may be just switch beaches to Palm so we can have lunch at Bugaloe. Awesome idea!

I had the grouper wrap, she had a steak wrap and we split the Bugaloe fries. Both the wraps were just decent but the fries were an amazing combination of calories and cholesterol that had me wishing we had just gotten a half dozen orders of that.
    Back down to the beach to soak in that last day. Saw the living embodiment of the ugly American. Super obnoxious guy who drank entirely too much while on a water float. If you ask me the fault lies squarely on the Hilton staff for over serving him. While carrying his cardboard bucket of empty cans back in the bucket broke and cans were floating everywhere. Other guests gathered the cans and helped him back to shore where he passed out facedown right at the shoreline. Eventually his friends came along to help him but he was an embarrassing mess.

The beach kind of cleared out after that so we stayed there to watch our last sunset. On the way home we decided to stop past the local store to pick up food for a pre flight lunch. The local store isn’t open on Sundays.

Showered and packed then went into Palm to do some shopping. Somehow I let her talk me into waiting in the souvenir shop while the woman wrapped up the knick knacks while she walked to Kay’s… unsupervised.

By the time I had arrived she was standing there with a smiling sales associate waiting for me to come along to pay… lesson learned.

Got to Tango for a late dinner but got to see our favorite waiter one last time. They took extra special care of us and the meal was great as always. After that we just went back to the villa to look at pictures and reminisce.

Monday Sept 14 - Travel Day

Flight doesn’t leave until 2:45 and we were like 95% cleaned up and packed so there was no need wake up early. Finished cleaning up anything that was left (strip the bed, put away the toiletries etc.) Ate our lunch. Hot wings at 11am may not have been the best idea before flying but whatev. Finished the last couple of Balashi’s in the fridge and then went to fill the tank back up and turn in the rental.

Grumpy guy at Royal was in an incredibly good mood for the second time this trip, maybe he has turned over a new leaf. I give those guys 5 stars for this trip, I am now firmly back on the bandwagon. He told us don’t even bother unloading the Jeep he’d take us right over in the same vehicle. Dropped us off at the curb about 1pm and we were at our gate before 1:30pm, a record for us. I love flying out on a Monday.

Plane was on time. We had the 2 seat exit row seats on Southwest so the company was good. Connection in Orlando went smoothly. Landed in BWI at 9:30 quickly grabbed our luggage, called the shuttle and were on our way shortly thereafter. Had to pick up our vehicle at the Sheraton, stopped by G&M for more Maryland Blue Crab Deliciousness and made it home around 11:30 pm.

Somehow I left out that at some point we stopped at the El Mexicano food truck - best food truck on the island.

Thanks for sharing your vacation ! I'm going to look for the food trucks , they sound delicious. I'll be there in about 10'days !

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast