Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Costa Linda 3/30 -4/13

Costa Linda 3/30 -4/13

We are one week into a 2 week stay at Costa Linda. So far we are loving the resort and having a great time. Today is very unusual...huge waves all night and day have washed away a lot of the beach and taken out some palapas, but other than that we have had great weather and mostly calm waters. We have been coming out early to secure a pool spot, since our children spend most of the day at the pool, but have had no problem finding palapas on the beach at various times of the day. One day we got one front row right after lunch! Other than that we have been in the back rows. Other than pool and beach we have gone snorkeling at baby beach with kini kini tours, it was fun and we met a few nice people. Yesterday we went in town for lunch at the Old Fisherman and souvenir shopping. The food was good, service very slow. Other than that we have eaten pizza once from pizza bobs for lunch which was very good and eaten other lunches and breakfasts in the room with stuff purchased from dushi bagels, dunkin and ling and sons. Dinner at Blossoms was a lot of fun,our hibachi chef was very entertaining and we had a nice group at the table. We ate at smoky joes night 2 which was great as usual. Night 3 at the new Ginger restaurant at Alhambra mall. It was delicious...especially the apps. Iguana Cantina palm beach night 4 was OK. Food kind of bland, could use a little more spice. Last night we went to Gianni's which my daughter picked, I was skeptical since we had one great meal there a few years ago, but then a pretty bad meal the next time we went. Turned out it was a good night..all of the meals were delicious. Forgot we also tried Elliotis one night, pasta was very good. Will check in again later...almost time for happy hour!
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Aruba since 1979
    thanks.....ENJOY!

attach a few photos of the beach erosion if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    We are one week into a 2 week stay at Costa Linda. So far we are loving the resort and having a great time. Today is very unusual...huge waves all night and day have washed away a lot of the beach and taken out some palapas, but other than that we have had great weather and mostly calm waters. We have been coming out early to secure a pool spot, since our children spend most of the day at the pool, but have had no problem finding palapas on the beach at various times of the day. One day we got one front row right after lunch! Other than that we have been in the back rows. Other than pool and beach we have gone snorkeling at baby beach with kini kini tours, it was fun and we met a few nice people. Yesterday we went in town for lunch at the Old Fisherman and souvenir shopping. The food was good, service very slow. Other than that we have eaten pizza once from pizza bobs for lunch which was very good and eaten other lunches and breakfasts in the room with stuff purchased from dushi bagels, dunkin and ling and sons. Dinner at Blossoms was a lot of fun,our hibachi chef was very entertaining and we had a nice group at the table. We ate at smoky joes night 2 which was great as usual. Night 3 at the new Ginger restaurant at Alhambra mall. It was delicious...especially the apps. Iguana Cantina palm beach night 4 was OK. Food kind of bland, could use a little more spice. Last night we went to Gianni's which my daughter picked, I was skeptical since we had one great meal there a few years ago, but then a pretty bad meal the next time we went. Turned out it was a good night..all of the meals were delicious. Forgot we also tried Elliotis one night, pasta was very good. Will check in again later...almost time for happy hour!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

Have they opened the new Turtles Nest yet?

Not even close
    Some days there is work in progress. Other days ,like today, not so much....
    Word is they are waiting on some cargo containers.
    Ralph (Kat's husband)
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    Not even close
    Some days there is work in progress. Other days ,like today, not so much....
    Word is they are waiting on some cargo containers.
    Ralph (Kat's husband)
    They were working on that when we were there in October of 2010. They had just started but dang.

Slow and low on eagle beach

This is island time and construction is no exception.
    I've been looking at that small tower crane by the ocenia/ Amsterdam for three years and have never seen it move.

There was little if any disruption to our vacation. With the need to import everything the final build out will take a while even off island time. Too bad no one has thought about starting a restaurant supply company. Would be a profitable business venture.

Ralph

We have now been home for 2 days...2 weeks felt like a long enough time in Aruba when we left, but 24 hours into being home again I already want to go back. We have committed to 12 nights at the Costa Linda again next year, so let the countdown begin again!

Our entire trip was wonderful! We continued to enjoy the Costa Linda and our time in Aruba. The weather seemed hotter than usual, only because most days the wind was not as strong as usual...it was breezy, but the breezes were much more gentle. We never saw any rain the entire 2 weeks, it rained overnight 2 or 3 times from what i could tell. Our last full day was pretty overcast most of the day, there were some dark clouds but it never rained at the CL.
    Easter Weekend we just hung around the resort, the kids saw the Easter Bunny Sunday morning and participated in the Egg Hunt. The morning was a little chaotic and not well organized by the staff - from what another guest said to me, there were a lot more kids than usual, so that may have been why.
    Monday evening we went again for the Jolly Pirate Sunset sail. We had a really fun time as usual and met some nice people. We highly recommend Jolly Pirates and go on the cruise every year.
    Tuesday we got our rental car from Amigo. The car we received was not in the best shape and our family dubbed it Junky Truck or JT for short. Service and vehicle received from Amigo was not great...we will try another company next year. It was fun having the vehicle and exploring the island on our own. We stopped by Phillips Animal Garden and were very impressed with Phillip and the facility. It was clean and well kept and we had a nice time walking around feeding the donkeys and horses carrots and apples. There were a lot of different birds, an ocelot, kangaroos, and a 3 brand new baby pigs that were just born that morning. The highlight for the kids were the monkeys. Phillip put peanuts in the kids pockets and when they went near the cages the monkey would pick their pockets and steal the peanuts. Phillip also let us in the python enclosure for an up close viewing of the giant pythons. The kids loved it so much they wanted to go back the next day. It is definitely on our list to return to next year. After Phillips we went to Alto Vista and out to San Nicholas for lunch at Charlies Bar. The next day the boys went out again to the Lighthouse and Casibari (sp ?) Caves. Our daughter hurt her toe pretty badly so I stayed back at the resort with her. For dinner we went to Savaneta and ate at Zeerover which was a lot of fun. The catch of the day was Blue Marlin which they fried up for us along with shrimp and french fries. It was very fresh and delicious and perfect with the sunset and ice cold Balashi Chills. The kids had fun running along the pier looking for fish and crabs. Mostly locals there along with a few other tourists. Looking forward to returning again next year.
    Other than Zeerover we ate at the following restaurants for dinner during our last week:
    Mulligans on Good Friday - we ended up waiting a long time for a table and to order and receive our food. Kids were hungry and tired, I think if our timing had been better we would have enjoyed it more because I thought the food was quite good. The kids and I liked the cheese burger and fried grouper sandwich and chicken tenders, the fries were good and fresh. Ralph did not enjoy his lamb sandwich as much and it was a long time to wait just to get burgers and fries when the intention was to go there for a quick and more casual inexpensive meal. I would go back though, but maybe not at 7:00 on Good Friday!!
    Buccaneer on Saturday night was a hit with the kids. They loved seeing the fish tanks, especially the sea turtles. We made reservations, but they were not necessary, the place was nearly empty and we were there at peak time. I thought the food was average. I ordered the grouper which was very fresh and cooked nicely, but the sauces and sides were a bit heavy and overcooked. Ralph ordered pork chops which were fine, but not as good as he hoped. The kids enjoyed the lobster bisque, but too me it was too thick and gravy like. The only reason we would return would be for the kids..better food can be found in our opinion.
    Easter Sunday we ate at El Gaucho - We received good service, although you could tell that they were understaffed. The kids all got the Cream of Broccoli Soup and Kid Ribs. The Soup I thought was delicious. They all enjoyed the Ribs. Ralph got the rack of lamb which was cooked perfectly. My ribeye was cooked rare as i ordered it, but it was a very sinewy. Not the best cut of beef I have had at El Gaucho. This was the only restaurant we ordered dessert at - most night we went for ice cream. My son had the apple pie which he loved, my dd had the nutella crepes which she devoured. The other desserts were good, but not outstanding. We love El Gaucho, but this restaurant along with a couple others we have enjoyed may not be on the list for next year - as Ralph brought up in another thread, we may not go to the restaurants that charge the 15% Service Charge. More on that can be read in that thread.
    Monday night we stopped at Burgers and Burgers (Dushi Bagel) after the Jolly Pirate ship. The kids and I had cheeseburgers which were absolutely delicious and Ralph really liked his fish sandwich. Everything, including the fries, were cooked perfectly! The service was great and we will definitely return next year. Our most inexpensive meal of the trip, along with Zeerover.
    Tuesday night at Tango - Steaks were cooked perfectly and the service was very good. Tango has always been one of our favorites. The kids love watching the chef work the grill.
    Wednesday was Zeerover - Thursday was our last night and we ate at Yemanja. The food and service was fabulous. I had the goat cheese salad and strip steak. The salad was a good, although a little sweet. My steak was so good, with a sweet onion relish, I am still dreaming about it. Ralph had Scallop Sashimi which he really liked and the veal chop he ordered was outstanding. The kids discovered escargot on this trip and ordered a plate of that - they devoured the escargot before I could try one, so I would guess it was pretty good. Yemanja is not inexpensive, but worth every dollar. Also no service charge is added to the bill!
    Well, I guess that wraps it up for now! Start planning for next year again...
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Loved your story, thanks for posting!

Forgot to mention that we also finally ate breakfast one day at Linda's Pancakes. I was very excited to try it out, but we ended up having a pretty disappointing experience. We got there late, so it was not very busy, but the service was terrible. Everyone ordered a different type of pancake, and I ordered 2 eggs overeasy to go along with mine. We waited 45 minutes for 5 pancakes - and in the meantime could not seem to get refills on coffee/water when we asked. The pancakes were good, but my eggs were over hard. I pointed out to the waitress and she was rude to me about it. She finally offered to have the cook make new ones, but she was kind of snotty about it, so I declined. We had already been there for an hour and just wanted to leave asap. It even took us forever just to get a check and have someone take our money. I think that was our one and only trip to Linda's
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    [QUOTE=katherine;223055]Tuesday we got our rental car from Amigo. The car we received was not in the best shape and our family dubbed it Junky Truck or JT for short. Service and vehicle received from Amigo was not great...we will try another company next year.

We were in Aruba at almost the same time as you. Also had a bad experience with Amigo. Traded in the first "clunker" after less than 24 hours and was given another less than perfect vehicle. This is the first year we have had such bad service from Amigo. I told the staff to junk the first car that it was dangerous (to which they just chuckled). We get a 15% discount at Hertz as Divi members so we may go with them next year.

Oh, and we also ate at El Gaucho on Easter Sunday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast