• Yes, always

14 42.42%
  • Yes, but only the first time, because I knew I would return

6 18.18%
  • No

13 39.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Did You Shed A Tear When Your Plane Left Aruba?

Question Did You Shed A Tear When Your Plane Left Aruba?

I remember in '95 like it was yesterday the tears that flowed as I looked out the window as we were taking off from Aruba. Never have a tissue when you need one do you?

The second trip, at least I was prepared and had a tissue. Then dh turned to me and said, "don't worry, no need to cry, you know we will return."

And return we did, the following summer and then six months after that, and well, after 19 visits, you get the idea...
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.

No crying although I'm usually a bit melancholy but....like you, I know I'll be returning (24th trip since 1996 coming up just 2 weeks from today! ) so I just smile and relive the memories in my mind on the flight home.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Cute poll, but no I've never cried when leaving Aruba, Like Amy, I'm a bit melancholy though. My first trip to Aruba was my honeymoon, but still, no tears upon leaving. The only vacation I've ever shed tears, were tears of joy from leaving. A couple of years after our trip to Aruba, my husband and I went to Cancun, and both of us got very sick, and we couldn't get home fast enough. We've never returned, and wild horses couldn't drag us there.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

I have never actually shed tears when departing, but the day we leave Aruba is usually one of the saddest days of the year. It usually takes me a week to recover from my post Aruba "depression". It really hurts coming back to reality. The only vacation that brings on PVD (post vacation depression) is the Aruba Vacation.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

I do cry when leaving. I ALWAYS cry, also, when they cut my band off my arm, and we then go tell all our "family" so long until next visit. (never good bye) We always eat at the resort before we leave, but it is so sad. But I keep thinking about what someone posted here--Dont cry because it is over--smile because it happened. How true--but I still cry. hahaha
    Pat

Aruba since 1979
    i not only cry (only on the way to the airport), i think about making faces and gestures to those that are arriving while i am in the crying room.

I don't cry but I do the same thing every year on the last morning before leaving,we take our walk from the Surf to the Phoenix than before going back to the SURF I go for my last dip in the ocean.I do feel sad to leave than its only a vacation and our home away from home will be waiting for our return.Its just a wonderful place .

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i not only cry (only on the way to the airport), i think about making faces and gestures to those that are arriving while i am in the crying room.
    And for those not familiar with the "crying room" at the airport?
    I cannot put that place into words, maybe Andrea or someone else could for those unfamiliar with that particular area.

Personally I try not to make any eye contact with any of those people when I am on either side. Too much joy and then too much sorrow.

Aruba since 1979
    the crying room

the departing gates and the surrounding areas are called the crying room(s)
    there are restrooms, food kiosks, slot parlor, little souvenir shops.

it is a terrible terrible terrible place to be

and to make matters worse, the folks from the arriving flights parade past the crying room(s) separated by a glass see thru partition. the departing passengers are depressed enough, but to see the happy and joyous faces of new arrivals........well it is just sickening.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Ah yes, the pale people smiling, and the tan people crying!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast