Aruba Beach

Thread: Didn't make it to Aruba

Didn't make it to Aruba

Hi All, I have planned for months and consulted this forum for a place to stay and even made arrangement for Bully to pick up my two friends and me. I left Baltimore with no problems. I did cut it close to make my connecting flight in Charlotte. The airplane was full, 172 passengers with a crew of 11. The airplane pushed away from the terminal. It stopped and the pilot said we have a problem with a panel and we called the mechanic. A few minutes later we had to go back to the terminal. Let the shorten this story. The flight was canceled. Everyone rushed to rebook or find other flights. Along with my friends, we waited for over 6 hours in line to be told we could not get out of Charlotte unless the three of us split up, one to New York, one to Boston and one to Miami and not to Aruba until 9pm the next day. Being in an airport in a strange city for more than 24 hours did not appeal to any of us. Also we would lose two days of a six day vacation. The next option was stay in Charlotte for another day and arrive Saturday. I could not extend my vacation and one could not re-schedule during the holidays. So to end the story we savaged our vacation by going to Negril Jamaica. We made the best of a crazy situation. I am glad the panel was discovered but we can't make it to Aruba until 2013 because of plans during 2012. But thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I was even refunded my deposit on the hotels. So Aruba you will be in my future.

Aruba since 1979
    i heard about this difficulty from another person who was not so "upbeat" as you.
    i am glad that you did not lose your entire vacation, your money and your mind in the whole thing. It is unfortunate that USAIR could not get you all on another flight, even if it meant another airline to aruba.

Aruba will be waiting for you in 2013.

Thank you for posting.

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    So sorry you didn't make it. I hope your substitute vacation was still a good one. Hopefully you'll be there next year. Be persistent, you won't regret it!
    Good luck on a future trip.

Thanks, for the replies. I have to stay upbeat because I work a very stressful job as a teacher in the inner city. I love what I do but I have learned to make the best of everything. In 2012, I am going to Italy, Egypt and on a western Caribbean cruise. The first two trips are paid for and the cruise is with my grandchildren. If nothing changes Aruba is definite in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by tch912 View Post
    Thanks, for the replies. I have to stay upbeat because I work a very stressful job as a teacher in the inner city. I love what I do but I have learned to make the best of everything. In 2012, I am going to Italy, Egypt and on a western Caribbean cruise. The first two trips are paid for and the cruise is with my grandchildren. If nothing changes Aruba is definite in 2013.
    We just got back from a 2 week trip to Italy- Rome, Venice, Florence and a week in Tuscany- and it was fantastic! We love our week in Aruba every summer, as it is the most relaxing week we have all year, but the 2 weeks in Italy were the most exciting 2 weeks we ever had. And the Western Carib cruise you are taking is great too! Enjoy and Aruba will be waiting for you in 2013.

Hi, my wife and I just got back from Italy for our 40th Rome, Florence,Siena. we went around the whole country and still nothing compares to Aruba. Italy was beautiful but Aruba is home.
    Next Aruba trip in

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    Tch912,
    I feel your pain! I taught in the inner city for 20 years as well, and know how welcome a good de-stresser vacation can be. We're hoping to do 2 weeks in Italy next year. If you think of it, I'd love to hear how it was. (Even though this is the ARUBA forum )
    Enjoy.

p.s. - I'm retired now and doing adjunct teaching at our community college with a group of students that are from the schools I used to work in. Can't get enough, I guess.

Just sent you a pm about Italy.

You all are wonderful. I have never had so much positive response. This is the reason I stay positive. Much love. I have six years to retire and I am thinking about an adjunct instructor.

Was on the same flight as you and I find it terrible that US Air ruined so many trips and that their attitude towards that was one of indifference.

Dolby1000

P.S. we did get there the next day via Delta