Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Dion Family trip 8/3 - 8/19/16

So glad you are "finally" having your time in paradise.
    Looking forward to hearing all about it too....
    Thanks for keeping us updated

Quote Originally Posted by MAZOO-2 View Post
    What shuttle service did you use?
    We parked our car at a newly opened lot called "Newark Liberty Parking" - original, no? lol Very close to the airport and the shuttle driver was there at the entrance when we got into the lot and he told us where there was a space & said he'd meet us there. Very cool, being 3:30 in the morning & dark. There were lights, but it was still a little creepy.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Hope your first experience on Southwest was a good one and the layover isn't too bad. I'm interested to know if you feel like this flight was worth it for the cost savings for your family and if you see yourself booking this flight again?
    I am about to become an unofficial spokesperson for Southwest. I am so impressed with everything from our first 2 flights. I loved the flight attendants' attitudes! They were a little sarcastic & if you were actually listening to what they were saying it was hysterical! The planes filled up quickly and painlessly. No fighting over "that's my seat" no questioning is this row 10 or 11? and I think because there were no assigned seats, people didn't feel that they owned the seat and were willing to switch with other people. I think it really reduces part of the stress of a traveling day. Even people lining up to board were cool - "oh, honey, you go in front of me - you have 32, I'm 34"

I will def book this flight again. I really wish it were direct from Newark, but the stop in Orlando was painless. We even left for AUA from the same gate we came into.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    My guess is they are all at the PADDOCK having lunch and enjoying the sites and breezes
    Paddock had to wait as my mother insists on us waiting for her to get in on Friday....and she's paying for lunch so I'll wait

DAY ONE

Paradise!!! We're here!

The day started when the alarm went off at 2:15AM (after having gone up to bed at 1:15AM) We got up, had some breakfast - cereal & bagels - packed the car, kissed Brianna & the puppies goodbye and we headed to Newark at 3:10am. Parked at Newark Liberty Parking at 3:50, free shuttled to the airport, arriving at 4:01. The drop off on the lower level in the old covered parking area that hasn't been used since 9/11. Very strange & creepy to be walking thru there. I haven't been there in years and I used to park there often when Rich traveled for work (again, pre- 9/11). Anyway....we went up a few escalators and waiting in line to check in. Around 4:20 the employees opened up the counter & the line started moving. We checked in & headed to the gate.

First flight was easy & exciting, it was a full flight with a nice young guy sitting next to my son, watching him play on his phone, we played card games & the kids played on their phones. SW offers internet access at $8 for the day (no matter how many flights) or iMessage access for $2/day or live TV for free so we opted with free. Much easier than getting a credit card out to pay for the other options and it was really time to start to disconnect (hahahaha - as I'm online typing to you all - so much for disconnecting)

Landed in Orlando with a 45 minute layover - just enough time for potty runs & charging station access for the boys and we were off again. This flight was no where near full - Mike & I had an open seat between us & so did Rich & Jason. Had a little teeny bit of turbulence, which others would likely laugh at, but it really freaks me out. My littlest one grabbed my hand speechless, just looked up at me.....so I took a picture of our hands and shed a few tears My boy....Arrived into Aruba with no issues at all. A flight attendant came on the PA system while we were still in the plane waiting saying the outbound flights security & customs are taking much longer than normal and to make sure you arrive at least 4 hours before your departure time! We'll worry about that in a few weeks!

(submitting now, continuing in the next post)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    DAY ONE

Much easier than getting a credit card out to pay for the other options and it was really time to start to disconnect (hahahaha - as I'm online typing to you all - so much for disconnecting)
    The ONLY exception to disconnecting is trip reports are mandatory so all the Arubaholics at home can enjoy your trip too!
    Darlene

Glad you like Southwest... they are good. We cancel the kids flight, after emailing them the situation they actually "refunded" my CC the full credit (kids should of got a voucher to fly again)
    Kudos to SWA

We used the happy flow lines, my littlest had an issue with it just not working for him so an agent had to come help him. I was not allowed to be in there to help. We all got thru, got luggage, stopped at duty free and were in the shuttle bus heading to Royal at 2:09 (flight was scheduled to land at 1:55 - I'm not sure of the actual landing time, but that was pretty darn good!)

Got a car (I can't remember what - Hyundai Sonata maybe?) and it's really kinda roomy. I reserved a Yaris or similar, I think I got a better car than I'm paying for - bonus) Everyone was starving. I wanted to stop somewhere new, they wanted Iguana Joe's - they won....for now.

We got a street parking spot, used a combination of US coins & florin coins at the machine. Each coin drop tells you how much money you put in, plus when your parking will expire. Nice.

Rich had a burger, Jason had bbq wings, Michael had a chicken quesadilla and I had Keshi Yena (which was delicious!! and I do not like olives at all, and am not a fan of warm raisin outside of Oatmeal cookies). Then came to Tropicana. Very impressed with how awesome the ride was. There was a cruise ship in (Freewinds I think) and we could see the whole thing! The container area looks great, even the old Bushiri property looks much cleaner.

Checked in at Tropicana, great experience, very talkative GM who was chatting with my boys about sports and playing football in college, making him feel older than he is. Got a room on the 5th floor - it's so nice. I'm on the balcony now, with my laptop plugged into the outside outlet. There is so much room! The kids have a bedroom with 2 twin beds & a bathroom right outside their bedroom. Small kitchen, nice size living room. Rich & I have a king bed with another full bathroom in our room. I forgot how spacious these rooms are! There is a big sign in the lobby that they are in the middle of a $5 million renovation. We spent the afternoon/evening at the pool - happy hour in the pool bar 5-6 was my first cocktail. I had my Aruba Arribas - not as good as LaCabana - Rich had a sip and said his nostrils were on fire.... he had Pina colodas and the boys had virgin mudslides. We walked across the lot to go into La Cabana's lobby - boys got Cinnabons and we came back to the Trop to eat them. Then we crashed. Hard. at 9pm lol

Aruba since 1979
    what???? you do not pull out the rosary beads during turbulence?

so glad that your experience with SWA was good.
    paul and i have been long time SWA customers and have found that the line up process is not as terrible as what many folks make it out to be.

i am assuming that the troops are all still snoozing.

glad that you are all there safe and sound.

and we s much appreciate you taking the time to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    DAY ONE

Paradise!!! We're here!

The day started when the alarm went off at 2:15AM (after having gone up to bed at 1:15AM) We got up, had some breakfast - cereal & bagels - packed the car, kissed Brianna & the puppies goodbye and we headed to Newark at 3:10am. Parked at Newark Liberty Parking at 3:50, free shuttled to the airport, arriving at 4:01. The drop off on the lower level in the old covered parking area that hasn't been used since 9/11. Very strange & creepy to be walking thru there. I haven't been there in years and I used to park there often when Rich traveled for work (again, pre- 9/11). Anyway....we went up a few escalators and waiting in line to check in. Around 4:20 the employees opened up the counter & the line started moving. We checked in & headed to the gate.

First flight was easy & exciting, it was a full flight with a nice young guy sitting next to my son, watching him play on his phone, we played card games & the kids played on their phones. SW offers internet access at $8 for the day (no matter how many flights) or iMessage access for $2/day or live TV for free so we opted with free. Much easier than getting a credit card out to pay for the other options and it was really time to start to disconnect (hahahaha - as I'm online typing to you all - so much for disconnecting)

Landed in Orlando with a 45 minute layover - just enough time for potty runs & charging station access for the boys and we were off again. This flight was no where near full - Mike & I had an open seat between us & so did Rich & Jason. Had a little teeny bit of turbulence, which others would likely laugh at, but it really freaks me out. My littlest one grabbed my hand speechless, just looked up at me.....so I took a picture of our hands and shed a few tears My boy....Arrived into Aruba with no issues at all. A flight attendant came on the PA system while we were still in the plane waiting saying the outbound flights security & customs are taking much longer than normal and to make sure you arrive at least 4 hours before your departure time! We'll worry about that in a few weeks!

(submitting now, continuing in the next post)

Troops all snoozing....almost 12 hours later! bums they are!

The breeze is amazing! No lack of winds here, it's actually rocking the laptop back & forth sitting on my lap

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast