Aruba Beach

Thread: Divi incident

Divi incident

i purposely waited a while to post this....
    my wife and i spent a fantastic weekent at the divi from may 8th through the 15th....except for one incident....
    we stayed at the "veranda's on the first floor with a small patio.....mon.night/tues morn. about 3am my wife woke me saying someone was trying to enter our room through the french doors of the patio. we lay there for a few minutes and heard nothing more so i got up and looked through the curtains and someone was "sleeping" "on the chaise..... without turning on any lights i called the front desk, explaining the situation and asked them to send security....they did....20 minutes LATER (we could walk from our room the the reception area in about 3/5 minutes) we heard voices on the patio....after a few minutes ...... we heard the door being tried again...in a couple of more minutes i checked outside again and noone was there... security never bothered to let us know what was happening or the results of what they found.....finally we both fell back asleep and in the morning we went down to the office and had a talk with the manager on duty....she apoligized to what had happened and set up an appointment for the head of security to come and talk with us...He was in a meeting at the time and but we met with him later that morning....his report was that security had found someone on our patio and he believed that the gentleman was "sleepwalking" the head of security made it a point to let us know that the security guy was a fairly new hire (and was of dutch descent) and that he would talk to him about the situation when he came back on duty that evening, and that he would have the evening supervisor come by and talk to us also that evening... well the evening supervisor never came by and the security guy came by and talked to us the next morning... again he felt that the "visitor" was just sleepwalking....but he had to make a concentrated effort to get on the pation as there is a 2 or 3 foot wall surrounding the patio...... and that he swore he was at his room.....
    we never heard from the divi mangagement or head of security again during our stay....
    i will say this....i never felt threatened by the situation......but i do believe that a 20 min. security time lag was not a good situation....and that security not talking to us after the situation was not acceptable....i am not blaming the divi for the incident but again i think there was a pretty good lapse in response time.....what if there was an actual "room invasion"????
    sorry to ramble but i thought people should know...

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Disturbing to say the least. This SB a wake up call for us all. Glad you're ok. cindy

Aruba since 1979
    once at the tamarijn we had a situation where a guest tried to get thru our patio door
    (it was 3 am and the guy was hammered)
    anyway he was passed out on one of our lounge chairs and security woke him and removed him the whole ordeal took about an hr from when we called security to when he was removed.

the next afternoon the tam anager explained to us that he thought he was at his room.

it was disturbing and we were annoyed to say the least
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Disturbing to say the least. This SB a wake up call for us all. Glad you're ok. cindy

Angry Wow, that's wild !!

Quote Originally Posted by granitegator View Post
    i purposely waited a while to post this....
    my wife and i spent a fantastic weekent at the divi from may 8th through the 15th....except for one incident....
    we stayed at the "veranda's on the first floor with a small patio.....mon.night/tues morn. about 3am my wife woke me saying someone was trying to enter our room through the french doors of the patio. we lay there for a few minutes and heard nothing more so i got up and looked through the curtains and someone was "sleeping" "on the chaise..... without turning on any lights i called the front desk, explaining the situation and asked them to send security....they did....20 minutes LATER (we could walk from our room the the reception area in about 3/5 minutes) we heard voices on the patio....after a few minutes ...... we heard the door being tried again...in a couple of more minutes i checked outside again and noone was there... security never bothered to let us know what was happening or the results of what they found.....finally we both fell back asleep and in the morning we went down to the office and had a talk with the manager on duty....she apoligized to what had happened and set up an appointment for the head of security to come and talk with us...He was in a meeting at the time and but we met with him later that morning....his report was that security had found someone on our patio and he believed that the gentleman was "sleepwalking" the head of security made it a point to let us know that the security guy was a fairly new hire (and was of dutch descent) and that he would talk to him about the situation when he came back on duty that evening, and that he would have the evening supervisor come by and talk to us also that evening... well the evening supervisor never came by and the security guy came by and talked to us the next morning... again he felt that the "visitor" was just sleepwalking....but he had to make a concentrated effort to get on the pation as there is a 2 or 3 foot wall surrounding the patio...... and that he swore he was at his room.....
    we never heard from the divi mangagement or head of security again during our stay....
    i will say this....i never felt threatened by the situation......but i do believe that a 20 min. security time lag was not a good situation....and that security not talking to us after the situation was not acceptable....i am not blaming the divi for the incident but again i think there was a pretty good lapse in response time.....what if there was an actual "room invasion"????
    sorry to ramble but i thought people should know...
    Well, I have ownership at the Divi and the first thing I would have done was contact one of the member relations personell(ie....timeshare sales rep) and asked for some sort of guarantee that the grounds be patrolled to ally any further sleepwalkers....I think Andrea hit the nail on the head....her person was trashed...yours probably was also, however that doesn't do you any good. The 20 minute delay is something I would write to Divi Resorts corporate headquarters in Chapel Hill, NC. Make a point !! They need to know this is not acceptable !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

when we got back......we contacted our travel agent she wrote the divi and as of yet no response....also we returned the "response card" to an address in Maine....also no response... as far as "sleepwalking" that was the security guard's term....i think the guy was drunk.....

Wow......I woulda freaked out. Thank god nothing happened. I hope you hear something soon regarding this incident.
    Michelle & Mike

Banned
    Aparently it was not that bad a situation. As there is a phone in the room, you could have contacted the police. Why wait for security? next time go out your other door in room and walk down to the lobby. might get security there quicker when you make a big scene.

wow....back up....i dont think i made a big scene of this....i did report someone trying to get into our room through patio doors. at 3am....
    logically i called to report this to hotel security thinking they would react quicker than the local police.....and my complaint was the response time it took security to get to the room....if you think it would have been better to call the police THAT would have been making a big scene

It's hard to know to whom you should be speaking to at any hotel when you experience an incident like this and feel you have not received a satisfactory response or explanation. But, having been to the Divi many, many times my advice to anyone who stays at the Divi and experiences any problems should ask to speak with the General Manager as soon as that person is available. Insist on it to the front desk staff, supervisor or whomever only the General Manager will do. Ask anyone who works at the resort who the GM is and where the office is located and walk over there yourself. I have never seen any GM at the Divi dismiss a guest or not take them seriously. You are right, information about the conduct and behavior of their security staff (who are a contracter) should be of extreme concern to any GM ot any resort as it effects every single guest who is staying there at the same time and any future guests if safety is considered as unimportant.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    IMHO Granitegator you did the right thing...don't worry what others have to say. You should have felt threatened. Why should you as a guest of the place have to call police. That would be the first and last time I stayed there. Your job is to have a good time, the freaking front desk should have responded imed to you !!!!