Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Divi Phoenix...10/18 - 11/03...2014

Aruba since 1979
    your BIL is still eating like a vegetarian?

thank you so much for taking the time to share. Enjoy your time on the boat today.

We're just a month away from our trip and I'm getting my fix from your reports. Anxious to try Linda's!!

Fri 10/24...WOW...I don't know how it could be any nicer than today. We met our friends at the pier by the Surf Club and hopped on the Black Pearl. He didn't want to be around others on the boat so he just booked it for the 6 of us. I wish I had that kind of $$$!!! What a nice excursion and fun morning. Got to see a lot of fish but not a whole lot of color. I compare it to snorkeling in the Caymans and really shouldn't. What I was really impressed with was the amount of starfish. It was like a starfish city. They served tomato and cheese sandwiches and grilled gouda cheese sandwiches. First I had a gouda cheese sandwich and boy were they good! Got back to our beach about 1:30 and spent the rest of the day there. Did I say how beautiful it was here today? Caught another beautiful sunset and headed out to Daniels Steakhouse for dinner. This place is climbing fast on our list of favorites. Two of us had fantastic steaks, two had fantastic surf and turf, SIL had a great mixed seafood platter, and BIL had a wonderful spinach salad with pepper as his dressing and a dry baked potato(yum). Went for some Gelato and said goodbye to our friends since they leave tomorrow morning.

So, in case some of you were wondering about my BIL from last year who I named Perdue because of eating mostly chicken and broccoli. Well since last year he has become a vegan(cheats a little bit by eating a bite of dark chocolate but for the most part he drinks vegan protein shakes and eats a ton of spinach salads. Because of that his name has officially been changed to Popeye. Sorry to keep everyone in the dark about him. I'm sure you were concerned. Also, while I finally remembered it, they really did a nice job on the new RIU. I don't know what the did to the inside of the old Westin but sure made the outside beautiful, especially along the walkway. Beautiful pool and swim up bar. Quite a difference! Ok, I hope everyone has a nice weekend and your countdown to Aruba is a short one. I feel very fortunate to be here because I love this island. The only negative is the 10 pounds I will put on over the 16 days I'm here because I have no self control over all these GREAT restaurants. See you all at Linda's in the morning! Goodnight!

Aruba since 1979

I bet Popeye hasn't an ounce of fat on his body and has the blood readings of a toddler.
    Pepper for salad dressing and a plain dry baked potato........... yum. NOT

So happy that you are enjoying yourselves.

We don't get many reviews about Daniel's Chop House, so thanks!

What will BIL eat at Lindas?

Quote Originally Posted by explorer213 View Post
    Fri 10/24...WOW...I don't know how it could be any nicer than today. We met our friends at the pier by the Surf Club and hopped on the Black Pearl. He didn't want to be around others on the boat so he just booked it for the 6 of us. I wish I had that kind of $$$!!! What a nice excursion and fun morning. Got to see a lot of fish but not a whole lot of color. I compare it to snorkeling in the Caymans and really shouldn't. What I was really impressed with was the amount of starfish. It was like a starfish city. They served tomato and cheese sandwiches and grilled gouda cheese sandwiches. First I had a gouda cheese sandwich and boy were they good! Got back to our beach about 1:30 and spent the rest of the day there. Did I say how beautiful it was here today? Caught another beautiful sunset and headed out to Daniels Steakhouse for dinner. This place is climbing fast on our list of favorites. Two of us had fantastic steaks, two had fantastic surf and turf, SIL had a great mixed seafood platter, and BIL had a wonderful spinach salad with pepper as his dressing and a dry baked potato(yum). Went for some Gelato and said goodbye to our friends since they leave tomorrow morning.

So, in case some of you were wondering about my BIL from last year who I named Perdue because of eating mostly chicken and broccoli. Well since last year he has become a vegan(cheats a little bit by eating a bite of dark chocolate but for the most part he drinks vegan protein shakes and eats a ton of spinach salads. Because of that his name has officially been changed to Popeye. Sorry to keep everyone in the dark about him. I'm sure you were concerned. Also, while I finally remembered it, they really did a nice job on the new RIU. I don't know what the did to the inside of the old Westin but sure made the outside beautiful, especially along the walkway. Beautiful pool and swim up bar. Quite a difference! Ok, I hope everyone has a nice weekend and your countdown to Aruba is a short one. I feel very fortunate to be here because I love this island. The only negative is the 10 pounds I will put on over the 16 days I'm here because I have no self control over all these GREAT restaurants. See you all at Linda's in the morning! Goodnight!

Are you kidding, he doesn't make the trip to Linda's. Tells us we're crazy!

You are such a great spokesperson for Linda's! You're reports have convinced me that is the perfect place to start my birthday. Thanks for sharing.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Sat 10/25...Woke up again at 7 to another beautiful morning. Walked down to the beach for a little while. It's so peaceful on Sat morning since a lot of people leave. Went to Linda's for my walnuts, bananas, whipped cream, and added apples and almonds. DW had another plain but may have her talked in to some walnuts next time, and SIL her usual double walnuts, brie, and honey. Of course, all were delicious. Spent the rest of the day working on the tan with another gorgeous day. Boy are we getting spoiled with the weather. Had reservations at Yemanja for 8:00. We haven't eaten there since our first year in our timeshare(2009). Didn't get seated till 8:20 and didn't get our order in till 8:45. We were very patient since it was obvious they were understaffed. My wife had a house salad and scallops(good, nothing great), SIL started with tuna tartar(fantastic) and sea bass(she can't stop talking how great her meal was), Popeye started with onion soup with no cheese(best soup he ever had) and salad with no dressing(great to him), and I had potato truffle soup(very good) and grilled 1/2 chicken(lot of meat with very good seasoning). We were more than satisfied with our food but the service was so slow. We ended up leaving there at 10:30. Decided to chalk it up as a bad night for management and will try it again because the food was so good. We have another couple coming in tomorrow that has been in the last couple years. They stay at the Bucuti but they go out to eat every night with us. I was just looking at the list and looks like a lot of higher end restaurants coming up this week. I can see a more than 10 pound add-on by the end of this trip. It's worth it though. I'll work it off with the Christmas rush coming up at work. Enjoy your football Sunday while I on this Aruban bronze tan. Goodnight!

Aruba since 1979
    i am smiling to myself thinking about your BIL and his french onion soup.
    I make french onion soup and use beef broth as the liquid. (i wonder what yemanja uses..... i hope it is beef broth )

sorry to hear of the long drawn out waiting at yemanja.
    very annoying and it tries one's patience!

enjoy and savor every moment.

Sun 10/26...I know, same ole broken record. Beautiful sunny day with nice breeze, blah blah blah. I am so knocking on wood and I am not taking this for granted. Up early and down to the beach for a day of sun, sand, and water. Ran into some old friends from years past. Soaked up some sun then headed up to Bugaloe for some lunch. It has obviously become our favorite lunch spot. Just a short walk and such good food. We still want to get down to West Deck but are having a hard time pulling away from the beach. They started a new palapa system here at the Phoenix in the spring. You needed to get in line and pick a palapa number for the day. The hut opened at 6:30am so people would start lining up about 5:45am with sleepy eyes. Worked for me because BIL was up then anyway so he would go wait in line and get our same hut every morning. Now, starting yesterday they changed the time to 4:00pm because people were complaining about needing to get up so early. Since it was in the afternoon I said I would take the turn of waiting in line. People start lining up about 3:20 but now the line, of course, has to have a hand full of belligerent drunk guys complaining about the new system. What a bunch of ignorant foul mouth idiots without any regard of the women in line. I'm talking men my age(50's) who should know better. I hope they wake up with major hangovers tomorrow that they can't even make it to the beach. Ok, there is my vent. Took and older couple from the beach to Matthews for dinner where we also met our friends from back home who just came in today. They have been here the last couple years and stay at the Bucuti. The food at Matthews is better than average and we love the atmosphere so we always end up there at some point during our trip. One more week left so we have to make the best of it. We have quite the restaurant list lined up this week so really looking forward to our evenings. I hope everyone's work week goes fast while my happy island week goes slow. Have a happy Monday morning! You know where I'll be! Goodnight!

Aruba since 1979
    when at linda's tomorrow morning, ask for a cup of tomato soup to go.
    OMGOSH delicious.

have fun

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast