Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Divi Phoenix...10/18 - 11/03...2014

Sounds good but that stuff is too fattening! Ha!

Mon 10/27...Got up at 7:30, decided I wasn't hungry for a Linda's pancake so I stayed in bed. Ha! Did I fool anybody? Added some blueberries this morning. So good!!! Got to the beach about 10:30 and the sky was starting to get dark. Started to rain around noon then stopped right away but then the big black clouds rolled in. As I sat under my palapa in the pouring rain I kept thinking how I jinxed the weather by saying how nice it's been. What looked to be like an all day rain broke loose about 45 mins later and the sun broke through with no wind at all. Wow, you don't realize how much that breeze is needed until it isn't there. The rest of the day was great and the palapa line was very civil. The idiots from the previous day were drinking water. I guess my wish came true that they would have terrific hangovers today. Got off the beach early because we had 6:15 reservations at Barefoot. I had asked for opinions on which place to eat, Barefoot or Flying Fishbone, since we never ate at either. Most said Barefoot by a slim margin and I was perfectly happy with that choice. Arrived in time to get a photo op with a beautiful sunset, then sat down to a great meal. My wife had a greek salad and chicken and pineapple(very good), SIL had the Caribbean Grouper(great), BIL, yep salad, our friends had same grouper and seafood trio(both great), and I had filet with a truffle mushroom sauce which was delicious. Very tender cut of meat and sauce was so flavorful. Ended with a great brownie and ice cream. We will definitely go back again. Just so many fantastic restaurants on the island. I need to stay here a month to get them all in. Stopped at the Alhambra mall and did a little shopping then came back to room to watch the football game. Gotta get up and run the girls to Nafanny Spa for their massages tomorrow morning then planting myself at the beach for the day. Goodnight!

wish we were there!

Sean and Susan

Aruba since 1979
    me too
    explorer makes everything sound spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    wish we were there!

Sean and Susan

sounds like another amazing visit! Thanks for your reports
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

So BIL has gone from Perdue to Popeye from last trip to this one. Is he coming back with you next year? Will he be Poseidon and only drinking water? Thanks for all of your reports, I am really enjoying them!

Love the Poseidon remark. If there was enough protein in water I'm sure he would switch to that.

Tues 10/28...Up at 7:30 again to get my wife and SIL to Nafanny Spa for their massages. The 3 of us went last year for the first time and loved it. I decided to skip this year but the girls both got a hot stone massage. We have a top rated spa at the Hotel Hershey that the girls have been to several times but they said these are 10 times better. The rates are much better than the spas at the high rise hotels. I think it was 90 min for $100. I took a walk up the beach as Fanny dropped them off at the Phoenix when they were done. I ended up getting another delicious breakfast sandwich at Scott's then headed to the beach. Another great day!!! Spent a lot of time in the water. Again, we ended up at Bugaloe for lunch. I can't keep my DW away from their hot dogs. I must admit they are great but I had a very good grouper wrap. That has turned into our go to lunch spot. Very close and very good! We had reservations at Aqua Grill for 7:30. We ate there last year for the first time and were really impressed. I told my wife today that I'll probably be disappointed since my hopes were so high after last year. Well, I was wrong. What a great meal for all 6 of us. DW had deep fried scallops that she loved, SIL had a fantastic grouper dish, BIL stepped away from a salad and had pasta with a marinara sauce, the other couple had sea bass and tuna and felt it was one of the best dishes they had in Aruba in a couple years. I had the same chicken with garlic and rosemary I had last year and was every bit as good. It was so good that I'm already looking forward to our visit there next year. Another place making leaps and bounds up the list. We ended up walking around the Paseo Mall and grabbing some ice cream. I'm ready to hit the sack as the early rises are catching up with me. Need to get up for my Linda's tomorrow. That will NOT be a problem though. Happy Hump Day! Goodnight!

Wed 10/29...Woke up at 6:30 and couldn't fall back to sleep. Played around on the computer for a while then my wife and I went to Linda's. I added papaya again while my DW had another plain one. I don't know what's wrong with her. Both were done perfect(crispy around the edges). While we were there, we had a 15 minute downpour, then the sky cleared up and had another beautiful day. Spent a lot of time in the water again. It was really hot today even with the wind moving. They walked around and let the people on the beach know that the new palapa experiment was now extinct. They are going back to the way it was for the last 100 years. First come, first serve. That means it'll be my BIL back to getting up and getting our palapa. Reservations at 7 for Ricardo's at ABC. First time there and won't be our last. After a warm friendly greeting by Ricardo, we were seated at the only table on the beach. I knew that an old waiter that took care of us at Matthews was working there now and asked for him. He came down and recognized us right away as his profiterole friends. We stopped in quite often just for their ridiculous profiteroles. We had a very good meal with great service. SIL had a terrific all you can eat grouper dish, BIL had a salad and a pizza with only sauce(cardboard), friends had Caribbean Lobster that was great and sea bass that was best she ever had. DW wasn't feeling too well but had a very good lasagna. She wanted to get the Lobster pasta in vodka sauce but didn't think that would settle well. I had the chicken cordon bleu with mashed potatoes that would order again. To our surprise, Dante served us a plate full of profiteroles without ordering them and then brought us all a round of limoncello that, once again, we didn't order and was on the house. Very enjoyable meal at a nice place. I highly recommend this Ricardo's. Tomorrow, if my wife is feeling better, we plan on taking our friends on a small island tour and stop at West End for lunch. Hopefully she gets a good nights rest. Wishing everyone a good day!

Aruba since 1979
    hope that your wife is feeling better tomorrow and glad that it is your BIL that has to go out before sunrise to get the palapa. hahahaha

i am posting a photo i snagged from google images for those that do not know what protiferoles are.

matthews have imo the best protiferoles!

again thanks for sharing

Divi Phoenix...10/18 - 11/03...2014-chocolate-profiteroles-600x436.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by explorer213 View Post
    Wed 10/29...Woke up at 6:30 and couldn't fall back to sleep. Played around on the computer for a while then my wife and I went to Linda's. I added papaya again while my DW had another plain one. I don't know what's wrong with her. Both were done perfect(crispy around the edges). While we were there, we had a 15 minute downpour, then the sky cleared up and had another beautiful day. Spent a lot of time in the water again. It was really hot today even with the wind moving. They walked around and let the people on the beach know that the new palapa experiment was now extinct. They are going back to the way it was for the last 100 years. First come, first serve. That means it'll be my BIL back to getting up and getting our palapa. Reservations at 7 for Ricardo's at ABC. First time there and won't be our last. After a warm friendly greeting by Ricardo, we were seated at the only table on the beach. I knew that an old waiter that took care of us at Matthews was working there now and asked for him. He came down and recognized us right away as his profiterole friends. We stopped in quite often just for their ridiculous profiteroles. We had a very good meal with great service. SIL had a terrific all you can eat grouper dish, BIL had a salad and a pizza with only sauce(cardboard), friends had Caribbean Lobster that was great and sea bass that was best she ever had. DW wasn't feeling too well but had a very good lasagna. She wanted to get the Lobster pasta in vodka sauce but didn't think that would settle well. I had the chicken cordon bleu with mashed potatoes that would order again. To our surprise, Dante served us a plate full of profiteroles without ordering them and then brought us all a round of limoncello that, once again, we didn't order and was on the house. Very enjoyable meal at a nice place. I highly recommend this Ricardo's. Tomorrow, if my wife is feeling better, we plan on taking our friends on a small island tour and stop at West End for lunch. Hopefully she gets a good nights rest. Wishing everyone a good day!

Thanks, she was better in the morning and you are correct, Matthews does have the best profiteroles!

Thurs 10/30...Up at 7:20 to find that my wife was feeling much better so we picked up our friends to take them on a little tour of the upper part of the island. They've been coming here for 4 years but haven't seen much so I started off with a trip to the lighthouse. From there we went to Alto Vista Chapel. What a nice little church. Next stop was the Bushiribana Ruins then on to the Natural Bridge. Cut across the island stopped at Hooiberg to show them the steps. They didn't want any part of that. We climbed it a couple years ago and although it was hard work, I'm glad we got to see the view from the top. Came back through town that was packed with cruisers. It was a little early to stop at West Deck for lunch but stopped a little later at Mulligans so I could get my chicken pizza and grouper sandwich. Excellent! Got to the beach about 1 to enjoy another beautiful day. Oh man, it's been so nice. My SIL went with our friends to Carte Blanche while my DW, popeye, and I went with some friends from the beach to the Mexican restaurant at the Hyatt named Mexicado. Our first time there and just like all the "new" restaurants on our list this year we will be back. DW had the chicken enchiladas that I ate half of(very good), BIL rice and beans in tortilla(I refuse to rate anything he eats), and I had the skirt steak. My steak was delicious with a huge helping of rice and steamed veggies. Already looking forward to next year. DW and I walked up to the Paseo Harencia mall and made our second stop at the new frozen yogurt shop(Yologurt). They've only been open 10 days and what a nice little place. There are 8 different flavors of frozen yogurt with about 35 toppings. You are charged by the weight. Have a good Friday and enjoy your weekend. My time on My Happy Island is almost over. So fast! Good night!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast