Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Easter in Aruba

We're home, and I now have internet and full-sized keyboard.

I can't say enough about Stuart at Arubabob. I had emailed him prior to heading to Aruba telling him of my issues snorkeling. I am not good with that stupid mask and tend to have a hard time acclimating. First off, he offered me a new type of mask that they've had a very short time and a few people had tried.
    Easter in Aruba-easybreath-4.jpg
    After about 15 minutes of swimming around in the shallow depths, I was breathing normally and ready to go. I was so amazed at what we saw. Never do you see that much when going on the snorkeling cruises. After we made it out to the reef Stuart asked if I was comfortable going beyond the reef and away we went. Can't wait to get the pictures.

We spent every other day under a Chickee, drinking Amstel Brights and/or Malibu & Coke. A majority of breakfasts were prepared by Scott and Leslie of Scott's Brats. They prepared a few of our lunches too.

After telling DH at home prior to our departure that maybe we should only eat out a few times to save a few dollars, we ate out every night except one. We just couldn't help ourselves since there are soooo many awesome choices. We dined at: Azzurro at Playa Linda, Pelican Nest on the Pelican Pier near Holiday Inn, Ricardo's at ABC, La Trattoria at the light house, LG Smith Steakhouse downtown, Chalet Suisse, Ruinas del Mar at the Hyatt and Ruth's Chris Steakshouse. When I get a chance I'll post restaurant reviews in the appropriate place. However, there was not one bad meal or service.

We were at the Playa Linda. I kept my eye out for someone in umpire gear, but never did see you rpumpire.

You all may remember my disappointment when I found out the PL would be closing the pool for renovations on Tuesday of our week. I thought that in true Aruban fashion, it would be slow and delayed. Hahahahaha. This is the only thing I have ever seen go quickly in Aruba. The equipment showed up on Tuesday morning and the jackhammer started almost immediately. Here's how it looked toward the end of the week.

Easter in Aruba-pl-construction.jpgEaster in Aruba-pl-construction2.jpg
    Cant' wait to go back to see it when it's done. Lunch is over, back to the grind. It's very difficult being at work less than 24 hours after being on the beach.

What was you experience like reserving the chickees?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Nice. Can't wait to do another snorkel trip. Maybe in November..

Aruba since 1979
    thank you for sharing your vacation!
    yes indeed arubabob snorkeling is awesome.
    please post some of the photos when you get a chance.

thanks for the playa linda pool photos...oh what a mess!

Tracey, ahhh yes, the chickees. I should have mentioned them in my report since it is such a hot topic. But, I do have much to say about them.

I was up between 7 and 7:30 each morning while DH was still out cold snoring (I think the neighbors could have heard). I was on the beach sometimes by 7:30, never later than 7:45 and there were probably only about 5 or so chickees left, all in the back. The first few days we had one right in front of where they hand out towels and it was too close to the others around us. After about day 4, I found one down near Scott's Brats. It was busy in that area with people around Scott's but the chickee wasn't too close to the others and it made it nice because we ate at Scott's either breakfast, lunch or both each day. Kirk, the beach attendant that many people have heard of, tried to move me up one row one morning to a chickee close to a few others. I sat there for about 1/2 hour but couldn't take the endless chatter of the large group of people speaking foreign. Not to offend someone talking another language, but I couldn't take the endless, somewhat loud, chatter. DH and I of course converse, but not so loud that others on the beach hear our conversation. It became somewhat of a joke with us that we could hear so many other conversations. Anyhow, I moved myself back to the chickee near Scott's where it was a bit quieter. Kirk gave me an odd look when he came by wondering why I didn't want to be moved up. And for those who haven't heard about Kirk, he is a very personable, outgoing, friendly guy who told me his goal is to make sure he starts everyone's day off right. He told me he won a Tripadvisor award which was a 2 week trip to Miami.

We found some families using 2 chickees (parents under one, kids under another). And found the same group of families that seemed to have the same front row chickees every morning. I guess that's the pay off for getting up at 5 a.m.?? I was never up early enough to see the "line", and I wouldn't call it a "reservation". I think you just got one and it was yours for the day.

It may have been more crowded than if the pool had been open. They took down quite a few chickees from around the pool area that could have accommodated many people.

So, bottom line, some of the chickees are too close together. It was crowded, and we never had a front row seat. But keep in mind, this timeshare week happened to fall on spring break and the pool was closed. DH said he liked the system better than at Hol Inn where you stand in line beginning at 3:30 in the afternoon. Haha, pretty funny coming from someone who just woke up whenever he wanted and had a chickee already set up and waiting for him.

Thank you for such a thorough response. I will make sure we scope out something thatis a little separated from the others.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

It was funny during my time in Aruba that I regularly woke up quite early (old sleeping patterns pre-retirement die hard). I would sit on my balcony and watch the early morning zombies making their way to the beach pre-dawn to reserve their chickee.

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    It was funny during my time in Aruba that I regularly woke up quite early (old sleeping patterns pre-retirement die hard). I would sit on my balcony and watch the early morning zombies making their way to the beach pre-dawn to reserve their chickee.

I also forgot to mention one of the best parts of our trip. My wonderful DH bought me a tennis bracelet for our 25th anniversary!!! I'll write details in the shopping thread when I get a chance.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Tracey, ahhh yes, the chickees. I should have mentioned them in my report since it is such a hot topic. But, I do have much to say about them.

I was up between 7 and 7:30 each morning while DH was still out cold snoring (I think the neighbors could have heard). I was on the beach sometimes by 7:30, never later than 7:45 and there were probably only about 5 or so chickees left, all in the back. The first few days we had one right in front of where they hand out towels and it was too close to the others around us. After about day 4, I found one down near Scott's Brats. It was busy in that area with people around Scott's but the chickee wasn't too close to the others and it made it nice because we ate at Scott's either breakfast, lunch or both each day. Kirk, the beach attendant that many people have heard of, tried to move me up one row one morning to a chickee close to a few others. I sat there for about 1/2 hour but couldn't take the endless chatter of the large group of people speaking foreign. Not to offend someone talking another language, but I couldn't take the endless, somewhat loud, chatter. DH and I of course converse, but not so loud that others on the beach hear our conversation. It became somewhat of a joke with us that we could hear so many other conversations. Anyhow, I moved myself back to the chickee near Scott's where it was a bit quieter. Kirk gave me an odd look when he came by wondering why I didn't want to be moved up. And for those who haven't heard about Kirk, he is a very personable, outgoing, friendly guy who told me his goal is to make sure he starts everyone's day off right. He told me he won a Tripadvisor award which was a 2 week trip to Miami.

We found some families using 2 chickees (parents under one, kids under another). And found the same group of families that seemed to have the same front row chickees every morning. I guess that's the pay off for getting up at 5 a.m.?? I was never up early enough to see the "line", and I wouldn't call it a "reservation". I think you just got one and it was yours for the day.

It may have been more crowded than if the pool had been open. They took down quite a few chickees from around the pool area that could have accommodated many people.

So, bottom line, some of the chickees are too close together. It was crowded, and we never had a front row seat. But keep in mind, this timeshare week happened to fall on spring break and the pool was closed. DH said he liked the system better than at Hol Inn where you stand in line beginning at 3:30 in the afternoon. Haha, pretty funny coming from someone who just woke up whenever he wanted and had a chickee already set up and waiting for him.

I came so close to spitting my drink on my laptop when I read that part. lol

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12