Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: February 2015

Love Heads Up - It's a trip & a half! There is an animal category - hysterical - the more cocktails you have the better the results!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Today is also a holiday in Aruba, called Carnival Monday. I just checked Lings facebook page and they are open till 2 today so you shoild be okay since you are going early. If you take any taxis today there will be a holiday surcharge.
    That ipad game sounds like fun! Keep these funny posts coming!
    thanks, Tracey. Yep... Lings was open... Stock was low and the staff were a little slower than usual. Must have been a good Carnival!!

Aruba since 1979
    glad that you are now settled and the face plant into the pool sounds wonderful!

when driving from the airport to your house did you have any difficulty due to the crowds for the carnival parade?

somewhere along the line you may have mentioned that you are homeowners in aruba or plan to be homeowners.
    my question, are you in your house or a rental?

ahh dominos and the "ellen game"..........so arubaesque

have fun and thanks for sharing your first day.
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Okay... now that I've recovered my mind and stopped necking with the Queen Beatrix tarmac, on with the show!

We arrived to discover that this was the last day of Carnival! Last year, we left on the FIRST day of Carnival. Oops. We'll get it right one of these years.

And we didn't realize the significance Carnival has for Aruba until we discovered an empty Lings parking lot. Ouch. The hunt for limes is ON. Luckily, the market near our place was open and, miracle of miracles, they had the sweet, sweet magic ingredient to every successful margarita. If duty free hadn't been open, I'm pretty sure I would have been trying to figure out how to make tequila from cactus. And we persevere.

After a few visits from Miss Margarita, a long travel day and a lazy afternoon in the pool, we opted to have dinner in - alas, no supplies. Good, old Domino's did the trick. Pizza delivery Caribbean-style! We didn't have the energy to search for anything else which leads me to a question:

Does anybody know of good restaurants on the island that deliver?

Anyhoo, a pretty fun night in playing this insane game with the iPad - I think it's called Heads Up or something... Ellen De Generes is involved in it somehow. You hold the iPad out in front of you and people scream clues at you until you guess the word on the screen... it's like really angry charades. When you get one right, you point the iPad down and it changes the word, if you can't get the word or the people can't describe it, you point it up and it passes to the next word. Imagine all this with four "adults" who've each had their share of cocktails and Dominos. A scream and a half.

And the pool. Anyone in the northeast - I don't care if you have to sell your soul, you need to get down here. There's nothing more rejuvenating than leaving that insane weather and, a few hours later, doing a face plant into an eighty plus degree pool.

Off to sit in the parking lot at Lings until the 8:00 am opening... I don't want to face this hung over crowd empty handed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    glad that you are now settled and the face plant into the pool sounds wonderful!

when driving from the airport to your house did you have any difficulty due to the crowds for the carnival parade?

somewhere along the line you may have mentioned that you are homeowners in aruba or plan to be homeowners.
    my question, are you in your house or a rental?

ahh dominos and the "ellen game"..........so arubaesque

have fun and thanks for sharing your first day.
    Hi Andrea:

We generally stay up in Noord (usually near Rooi Santo or Tierra Del Sol) so we take the "back route" to get up here from the airport. LG Smith tends to always be busy so we started going this route when we first started coming down... even though it's technically a longer route (by just a few minutes), it makes up for it with little or no traffic (pedestrian or vehicles).

Here's a Google Maps screen shot of the route we take to avoid driving through downtown to get up to the Noord area (follow the blue route)- it doesn't really help people staying at the resort areas unless you loop back down... which would definitely be worth it during Carnival:

February 2015-backroute.jpg

We're still renting houses but we're close to having our own house... just working out logistics and we hope to be in there soon.

We're having a very busy day of laying around and doing nothing. We draw straws between the four of us to see who's going to make the next "batch".

Dinner at "Barefoot" tonight. Our friends have never been there before so really looking forward to it.

Stephen
    Last edited by act1966; 02-17-2015 at 07:57 AM.

I forgot something: We had a funny moment with a customs agent at QB... she asked us how the weather was up north and we spewed forth the invective of having just come from record low temperatures. She said, "You're so lucky... you have seasons... it's always the same here... sun, hot, sun hot..." We all just stared at her with our mouths dangling open and drool coming down the side of our mouths.

As my stupor subsided, I told her to book a trip to Toronto for the third week of February next year and get back to me.

You don't know what you have until it's gone.

Anyway...

Pool, pool, pool and then a lazy drive up to the lighthouse for our friends to have a look. Group selfies taken and back to the pool we were already missing.

Note: Is it just me or does it seem like there's been a significant jump in construction projects lately? We noticed lots of new build housing developments coming up just south of Tierra Del Sol.

A visit from Miss Margarita and then we headed out to Barefoot for an 8:30 dinner reservation.

Dinner was okay... I'd oversold it to our friends... things were a little off service-wise and the food didn't have its usual oomph... and it was pretty windy... the napkins kept blowing off our laps. There wasn't anything alarmist that I could put my finger on... it might have just been Carnival fatigue that was throwing the rhythm of the staff off. Nothing worth complaining about to the manager. I'm hoping it isn't fragmented attention because of Quinta Del Carmen opening. We're headed to Quinta next week so... we'll see.

Back to the house and an early night. All that sun, pool and relaxing can get exhausting.

Here's a shot of the wind at Barefoot...

February 2015-wind.jpg
    Last edited by act1966; 03-23-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Loving this trip report, especially the image my mind conjured up of the face plant into the pool. Just came in from shoveling and this is exactly what I needed.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks!
    i am guessing that the barefoot experience was a result of what you describe as carnival monday fatigue.

re: the change of seasons and the immigration agent and her comment about the weather.
    most if not all arubans feel that way.
    i think they'd have to live in a snowy climate for a year before they'd come to better understand our need for the heat and the sun.
    also too, aruba is such a small island...the need to get off to see change is imperitive.
    (all just my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    thanks!
    i am guessing that the barefoot experience was a result of what you describe as carnival monday fatigue.

re: the change of seasons and the immigration agent and her comment about the weather.
    most if not all arubans feel that way.
    i think they'd have to live in a snowy climate for a year before they'd come to better understand our need for the heat and the sun.
    also too, aruba is such a small island...the need to get off to see change is imperitive.
    (all just my opinion)

I worked with someone who came from Hawaii. She absolutely LOVED it when it rained because it never rained where she was in Hawaii.

I will happily host anyone from Aruba who would like to come to northeast Ohio in the next few days. We will be -17 on Thursday night. In the morning I will offer them an Amaretto infused hot chocolate that they can drink on our ice covered deck with snow between their toes and dark, gray clouds beautifully floating overhead. We will dodge not the traffic, but the mine field of potholes as we make our way to the indoor restaurant overlooking our nearest frozen lake. We can top off the evening with a drink at the nearest watering hole featuring more hot drinks infused with their favorite spirit.

Love your report BTW. Keep it coming.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast