Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: February 2015

Aruba since 1979
    yes to the no salt when boiling the idaho taters......i then add only sour cream, a beaten egg and a couple of shakes of white pepper.

i too wonder about the aruba aloe pricing since it's "new presentation". i suspect it is a gimic..........fancy marketing needing a new higher price

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

the third photo........what is it?
    Andrea: it's salmon and grouper wrapped in a phyllo pastry with risotto and grapes on the side. It was incredible!

Stephen

It's 7:00 am and a little overcast. Anyone who's been here knows that, by the time I finish this entry, it'll be sunny out.

We popped into a hardware store on Caya Franz Figuera just south of Cafe 080. I was on the hunt for a barbecue lighter... everybody waited in the van thinking I'd be just a minute. I asked a guy standing at the cash if he knew where I could find one. He walked me around the store and said, "They don't appear to have one." He didn't work there. LOL. Arubans are really nice.

Success at the DIY Center.

We headed down to Super Food Plaza as we wanted to have a seafood feast for dinner on the barbecue and I was dying to try "Daily Fish" (the fishmonger in the plaza). Our friends are fish addicts (The Spouse hates it) so we loaded up on fresh shrimp, scallops, wahoo and grouper. Back to the casa for an afternoon of pool, sun and relaxation.

Mid-afternoon, I busied myself in a napping position while The Spouse and friends hit Arashi and then Moomba for an adult pop.

Back at the ranch... The barbecue didn't start. As I was dropping to my knees and screaming, "WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME OH LORD?!?", our friends lit it with the barbecue lighter that I had bought just that morning and I'd forgotten - the ignitor to make the barbecue light up wasn't working. Oops. Back in business! LOL

The fish was fantastic. Fresh... not "fishy" and cooked to perfection in olive oil and lemon. We're going back! The Spouse had to make do with steak wellington and that thick Dutch bacon (splakten?) so all was right in the meat world.

More rounds of "Heads Up" - where I named ten (ahem!) - and then off to sleepy time.

I'm now at the end of my daily report and, like the song says, here comes the sun... LOVE ARUBA!!

Aruba since 1979
    continue to enjoy and thanks for sharing

imagine, a total stranger, not an employee, walking around the store looking for a lighter!
    how nice was that!!??!

Live from baby beach!

February 2015-img_20150220_115817.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Live from baby beach!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150220_115817.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	3471
    Awesome, just what I needed with the wind chill at zero...

Baby Beach looks wonderful!! I just drove by Wollaston Beach here at home and all this white stuff was blowing across the road. It wasn't sand!! Would rather be where you are. Enjoy!!!

act1966...love your writing style and I noticed that you've tamed down you're review critique of 2 Fools and a Bull from last year, which by the way, I thought was hilarious. Glad to see that they let you back in after that one...

We we haven't tried it yet, but it's on our long list. Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I could get very used to constant sunshine and warmth...

Yesterday, we went to the DIY Center near Bubali - they've definitely improved their stock and service. When we'd previously gone in there, the place was like a ghost town and the staff seemed pretty indifferent to questions. The prices seem to have been adjusted as well to give Kooyman a run for their money. Looks like they're trying to compete... good for them.

Off to Super Food for lunch supplies - we LOVE that they have ground Angus beef for making hamburgers... there's something about that meat that gives the burger extra oomph. We also learned that keeping produce viable (e.g. salad) is pretty much a miracle feat in Aruba... the imports don't stand a chance in the heat so you either eat it the day you buy it or not at all. Frozen vegetables seem to be the only viable option in Aruba - which is fine... they way they're flash-frozen now makes them pretty close to fresh. I know... the hardships we suffer in paradise. LOL

Dinner at "Two Fools and a Bull". Another great evening: Freddie and Paul put on a great meal and an even greater show. This night was pretty subdued relative to our previous three visits but still warm and comfortable (half the room were Canadians). I'd really recommend this to anyone who hasn't tried it... lots of fun and the food/menu is always wonderful.

We met a couple at 2FAAB from Holland that flew KLM direct in business class (they said it was fantastic - their brother/BIL used his miles to fly them in biz class) but, on the way home, KLM makes a pit stop to pick up passengers from Bonaire! That's awesome that you don't have to schlep to Aruba or Curacao to catch a flight home.

Back to the villa and a midnight swim to remind us of where we are.

A great day and evening.

Some pics from 2FAAB:

Attachment 3466Attachment 3467Attachment 3468
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    act1966...love your writing style and I noticed that you've tamed down you're review critique of 2 Fools and a Bull from last year, which by the way, I thought was hilarious. Glad to see that they let you back in after that one...

We we haven't tried it yet, but it's on our long list. Keep them coming!
    Thanks, Schexc! Yeah... last year and the year before that at 2FAAB were insane nights (in a good way). This year was a little more subdued but still A LOT of fun and good food. Paul and Freddie are really great hosts and the premise makes for a really fun night.

Another busy day in paradise...

We headed down to Baby Beach for the day... some clouds but they acted as a nice break to the scorching sun. We rented lounges ($8 USD per chair), found a spot under a tree and unloaded the van. Lazed in the Caribbean Sea and just took it all in.

One important tip: we had to fill up the van on our way down and we went to the Valero in Santa Cruz - they don't take credit cards at this location so make sure you have USD or Florins!!

We had lunch at Big Mama's Grill. Ugh. We won't do that again. The service was, at best, indifferent and we waited forever for our food. At one point, I looked around and the restaurant was packed to the gills but not one person had food in front of them. Some kitchen problems there. They have this bizarre system for using the washrooms: the server gives you a ticket and you walk out back to what are basically outhouses. Here's the catch: there has to be an attendant there to take your ticket and let you in or the door remains locked. Half the time, we couldn't get in because the attendant wasn't there and the wait staff couldn't do anything about it. It was nuts. Such a waste: they have a captive audience and a beautiful setting... they're missing out on a fortune there - I'm going to bet there's very little repeat business. And the government should really consider putting in some public washrooms as part of the improvement plan - they should think about installing the washrooms like the self-cleaning units that Paris has put in all over the city - I'd even pay per use!!

Anyway, lesson learned.

Back to the villa and picked up our friends from the Riu (see my comments on all-inclusive in another thread) and we all met with Missy Margarita back at the ranch.

Wonderful dinner at Gostoso's - I was worried about their ability to handle a table of eleven (it's really small) but they handled it with aplomb. Two of our party had to send their steaks back (they were a little under done for their tastes) but the staff handled it graciously and without even a hint of attitude. Another excellent night at Gostoso's and everybody loved it. Love that place.

One other thing - there are a lot of questions about taxis and taxi drivers on the forum. We ordered three cabs for eleven of us. All were there within ten minutes, clean cars, pleasant drivers and no shenanigans on the pricing (we knew the price from checking the rate chart and I re-confirmed with the dispatcher when I ordered). We've always used random taxi drivers on our multiple trips down to Aruba and never had an issue. Always had professional and efficient service.

The pool beckons me!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast