Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: February 2015

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    They have this bizarre system for using the washrooms: the server gives you a ticket and you walk out back to what are basically outhouses. Here's the catch: there has to be an attendant there to take your ticket and let you in or the door remains locked. Half the time, we couldn't get in because the attendant wasn't there and the wait staff couldn't do anything about it. It was nuts.
    Where was the attendant? Bathroom break? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    Where was the attendant? Bathroom break? LOL!
    LOL! She was passed out under a tree! You know... Just like the attendants at the Waldorf!

We have had the same positive experiences with random taxis. We were also displeased with Big Mama's Grill and I will not go back. It's overpriced for what you get which I did not think was very good, and the service wasn't up to what I am used to in Aruba. If we go back to Baby Beach we plan to try Rum and Reef Bar or pack snacks.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We have had the same positive experiences with random taxis. We were also displeased with Big Mama's Grill and I will not go back. It's overpriced for what you get which I did not think was very good, and the service wasn't up to what I am used to in Aruba. If we go back to Baby Beach we plan to try Rum and Reef Bar or pack snacks.
    Completely agree, Tracey. $27 for lousy, deep-fried calamari is insane. A cooler lunch next time.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-22-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Our friends are leaving today (Sunday) so we decided to hit the "I Love Aruba" store as our day project.

Wow. We'd never been there before... there's A LOT of heart-Aruba tchotchka in there! Only one t-shirt was purchased but if we're ever in the mood for a self-stirring coffee cup that has "I <<heart>> Aruba" written on it, we're there.

We had to fill the tires on the van with air as we sounded like an episode of "Knight Rider" every time we turned a corner. Off to the Palm Beach Valero for a pump. The only reason I mention this is because we had four Mission Impossible moments as, frankly, we had no idea what we were doing and there was no pressure indicator at the air pump. We'd test pump some air, look at the tire, add some more air and then wait for it to explode in our faces. Back on the road, squeal-less.

Having been exhausted by our thirty-minute excursion, we retired to the floating comfort of the villa pool where we decided to flop around like beached whales until our next outing: the ubiquitous Cafe 080.

080 has become a local for us... we know one of the owners pretty well and love the cool, relaxed vibe of the place. Eclectic music (sometimes it feels like the scene in Casablanca where the Germans and French play battling national anthems... but then a Prince song will come on) and how can you argue with a menu where everything is deep-fried? "Can I get fries with those fries and a side of fries? I'd like them all fried, please."

A couple 'o brews later and then we headed back to the villa for an early night as our friends have to catch their flight back to the deep-freeze the next day. "Do you think it might warm up in Toronto overnight?!? You know.. to 30C?!?" Ugh.

We have another week left... refusing to start the countdown at the halfway mark.

Hmmm... think I'm suddenly in need of a self-stirring coffee cup.

We're definitely going to feel closer to living here on a more semi-permanent basis by dropping off people at the airport for the first time.

One of our friends just said, "I'm just realizing this is the last time I'm going to probably enjoy coffee in the sun until July." Eeek!
    Last edited by act1966; 02-22-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Cafe 080 was on our list last trip and we didn't make it there. Hoping to get there in May. I really want one of their t-shirts.

Aruba since 1979

i am loving your writings and sense of humor.
    thank you so much for continuing to take the time and write!!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Our friends are leaving today (Sunday) so we decided to hit the "I Love Aruba" store as our day project.

Wow. We'd never been there before... there's A LOT of heart-Aruba tchotchka in there! Only one t-shirt was purchased but if we're ever in the mood for a self-stirring coffee cup that has "I <<heart>> Aruba" written on it, we're there.

We had to fill the tires on the van with air as we sounded like an episode of "Knight Rider" every time we turned a corner. Off to the Palm Beach Valero for a pump. The only reason I mention this is because we had four Mission Impossible moments as, frankly, we had no idea what we were doing and there was no pressure indicator at the air pump. We'd test pump some air, look at the tire, add some more air and then wait for it to explode in our faces. Back on the road, squeal-less.

Having been exhausted by our thirty-minute excursion, we retired to the floating comfort of the villa pool where we decided to flop around like beached whales until our next outing: the ubiquitous Cafe 080.

080 has become a local for us... we know one of the owners pretty well and love the cool, relaxed vibe of the place. Eclectic music (sometimes it feels like the scene in Casablanca where the Germans and French play battling national anthems... but then a Prince song will come on) and how can you argue with a menu where everything is deep-fried? "Can I get fries with those fries and a side of fries? I'd like them all fried, please."

A couple 'o brews later and then we headed back to the villa for an early night as our friends have to catch their flight back to the deep-freeze the next day. "Do you think it might warm up in Toronto overnight?!? You know.. to 30C?!?" Ugh.

We have another week left... refusing to start the countdown at the halfway mark.

Hmmm... think I'm suddenly in need of a self-stirring coffee cup.

We're definitely going to feel closer to living here on a more semi-permanent basis by dropping off people at the airport for the first time.

One of our friends just said, "I'm just realizing this is the last time I'm going to probably enjoy coffee in the sun until July." Eeek!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Act1966 pls join us in Sept for our next visit

i love your sense of humor!❤️

Yes, that IloveAruba store is packed with stuff. You apparently didn't get the invite to the back room where there are more hidden treasures.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    cafe 080, if you pull out of tierra del so and go left, is it on that road prior to the light on the left?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    hey Cindyo, what backroom???? what kind of hidden treasures?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast