Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: February 2015

We always ways stop at the Rum Reef when we go to baby beach. The food and service is much better than Big Mama's and the owners are nice too. If you have food or beverage there the restroom usage is free of charge.
    It'll be interesting to see how their expansion is coming along. We'll be stopping there for sure in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We have had the same positive experiences with random taxis. We were also displeased with Big Mama's Grill and I will not go back. It's overpriced for what you get which I did not think was very good, and the service wasn't up to what I am used to in Aruba. If we go back to Baby Beach we plan to try Rum and Reef Bar or pack snacks.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

i am loving your writings and sense of humor.
    thank you so much for continuing to take the time and write!!

Thanks, Andrea... the forum is a great way to log memories of another fantastic trip and share them with others.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Act1966 pls join us in Sept for our next visit

i love your sense of humor!❤️

Yes, that IloveAruba store is packed with stuff. You apparently didn't get the invite to the back room where there are more hidden treasures.
    Done! Which drawer is mine?!?

Thanks, Cindy.

The back room is obviously where they keep the premium items - coffee cups that self-stir AND make the coffee for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    cafe 080, if you pull out of tierra del so and go left, is it on that road prior to the light on the left?
    Yes, right across from the Noord Medical Center/Urgent Care Aruba

Here's a link to Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tier...819!2d12.56687

We dropped our friends off at the airport Man, that was depressing for them and not a barrel of laughs for us either... seven days is just not enough ESPECIALLY when you have to head back to the north east. But we persevere...

We finally went to "Flora" near Price Smart... wow, wow, WOW!!! What a GREAT store! Lots of perfect patio furniture and garden supplies. Really neat place. We'll be back to stock the house. Had to stop The Spouse from dragging a giant hammock down from the upstairs showroom. "I'm sure we can find SOMEWHERE to store it!" That and the giant terra cotta palm tree planter.

We had hoped to get into Asia Island but we ran late after dropping off the friends and getting lunch.

Took some back roads to Super Food and saw some neighbourhoods we hadn't been through before. As small as Aruba is, there's always another corner where you go, "Wait! How have we never seen this before?!?" Had a heart-stopping moment when a suicidal iguana decided he just HAD to get across the road right in front of our car. Luckily, he dodged his way under. If we hadn't filled our tires, there may have been grilled iguana for lunch.

2:30 pm on Sundays is the sweet spot for shopping at Super Food - the place was empty... I suspect it was right before the majority of flights were getting in. We ran through the aisles grabbing our groceries and sailed through the cash. But, seriously, that parking lot has to be re-thought: we felt like a soon-to-be-roadkill-iguana dodging in and out of there.

Back to the villa for lazy pool time and a couple of adult bevs. Dinner was barbecue and then we sat booing/yelling/clapping at the Oscar telecast.

This night felt a little closer to what it'll be like to live down here for an extended period of time. Can't wait.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-24-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    glad that you folks got a chance to make it to the Flora shop.
    i love that place!
    in november i got a pretty little "bling" owl christmas decoration.
    it is still out as i do not want to put it away with the other christmas decorations.

i have never been so lucky at superfood.
    every time that i have gone (probably on 5 times) the parking lot has been incredibly problematic.
    we even pull all the way down and enter the parking lot from the other side of the building and that is a nightmare too.

re: suicidal iguana hahahahahahaha
    we had a little incident with a boa a few years back (on our way to mangel halto)
    eeewww

continue to enjoy phase 2 of your holiday!!
    thanks for sharing.

Loving every single post. Thanks so much for sharing it all
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

You keep posting, I'll keep reading with anticipation (6 weeks to go; -3 here today).

The first time I visited Super Foods I was without DH, THANK GOODNESS. I'm 100% certain the two of us would not have been speaking after navigating that parking lot for the first time.

I keep hearing about Flora so I hope to be able to stop there during our stay in April. I don't need another "I heart Aruba" shirt, sticker, mug or hat.

Went on a shopping run yesterday (see Price Smart vs Lings in "Shopping" forum thread) as we're looking for Rubbermaid-like storage totes and hit a number of big box stores close to the airport.

Confession: The Spouse and I don't like stores that are crammed full of inventory... just turns us off to have to watch every move in case we knock over a jam-packed display of "Pretty Girl Truly Fantastic Outfit" dolls (yes, this is a real thing). Yeesh.

Knowing the above, we made a quick jump into Asia Island and quickly turned around and headed out. Too overwhelming... I'm sure there are bargains in there but I can't put a price on sanity (florins or USD). We also hit Nature Home and Garden down the street but, same deal, too many Bhudda statues to contend with so just a quick tour around the store and then out we went... what we did see was REALLY expensive.

And then Costco... ahem, I mean "Price Smart"... (we're still scratching our heads on who owns this given all the Kirkland Brand stuff they carry). Relative to other stores on the island and North American pricing as a baseline, this is definitely the best buy for appliances and TVs... and the lunch counter may be the cheapest meal on the island. And, if you drink as much Patron as we do, you need to get a membership... yowza! Their prices on liquor alone are worth the price of admission.

Lings for some supplies and then we took the in-laws on a video tour of Noord. The Spouse has an iPad Air 2.0 with cellular capability so we drove around through Palm Beach, Malmok, Tierra Del Sol, WestPunt etc. while the in-laws watched the video, live, at home. I work in technology and I'm still stunned at what we can do now. They were salivating at the blue skies, beach/sea and houses. They're off to Arizona in a few days but I think they'll make the jaunt down here next year once we have the house.

Back at the ranch for some floaty time and rested for our return to Ventanas Del Mar.

YUM. It's held up since last year. The hostess actually remembered us! The Spouse had beef carpaccio and osso bucco while I went all seafood, all the time: clear broth soup du jour with grouper and vegetables and then the special three seafood medley (grouper, lobster tail and shrimp with mashed potatoes and root chips - it sounds insane but worked really well).

February 2015-osso-bucco.jpgFebruary 2015-seafood-medley.jpg

We split something called a "strawberry cloufoutis" for dessert. Again, YUM:

February 2015-strawberry-cloufoutis.jpg

The food and night were incredible. Nice breeze on the fairway and good vibe on the patio. Love, love LOVE this place. Here's a pic taken off the patio with the always present Aruban light show:

February 2015-lights-tierra.jpg

Off to Quinta Del Carmen tonight!!

Technology is amazing! Can't wait to hear how Quinta Del Carmen is tonight!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast