Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By katb161

Thread: Fourth stay in Aruba

Fourth stay in Aruba

This is our 4th stay in Aruba. We have had wonderful times each time. We have not had a bad meal or experience. Bus transportation is now $2.30 each way. Note, they do not alway carry small change, so you may get short changed occasionally. No big deal. Some literature has not caught up with the prices. It is safe, but can get crowded on the buses. Sometimes, there are as many standing as sitting. Plenty of hand holds though. We experienced for the first time, two Arubians that just pushed there way past people waiting to get on the bus. TOTALLY RUDE BEHAVIOR! That is the first time in 4 visits we have experience such rudeness. Most all people are friendly. The island does not give you an unsafe feeling in most tourist areas. This being two weeks before Christmas, the island is decorated very nice for the holiday! We had no idea what to expect, but they do a very nice job of it. Taxis are plentiful if you choose to travel that way. There are numberous grocery stores, selections vary by stores, prices are island prices you experience in the Caribean as a general rule. They accept Florins or dollars and are courteous in changing dollars. Sometimes, you get Florins back though. Water is warmer than St. John, USVI, in December, my favorite vacation spot. I think the worst part of the trip was the hour it took to get through the airport, as there were 3 planes that landed within minutes of each other and there were less agents in the boths than we had seen on previous trips. The are courteous and work continuously checking people through. We did experience some RUDE Tourists pushing their way into line ahead of others
    We are already talking about coming back next December.

Are you still on the island?

Aruba since 1979
    apparently he/she is still on island, since he/she said "this is our 4th stay" ?

some folks that are frequent bus travelers know to carry exact change for busses. we rarely talk about that here and i am sorry that you may have gotten short changed. ahhh people pushing their way on a bus.......kind of childish huh?

and you mentioned rude tourists.........sure as shootin, rudeness can be found there by tourists, just as in any other tourist destination. maybe though in aruba, we as tourists are so relaxed and happy and laid back that when we see "rudeness" it really does jump out at us and we are taken back by it?

i took the liberty of moving your post to the "my aruba story", but since it does talk a lot about transportation/buses, i considered moving it to "getting around aruba"

welcome to the aruba.com community forum

Quote Originally Posted by dbh1mph2 View Post
    This is our 4th stay in Aruba. We have had wonderful times each time. We have not had a bad meal or experience. Bus transportation is now $2.30 each way. Note, they do not alway carry small change, so you may get short changed occasionally. No big deal. Some literature has not caught up with the prices. It is safe, but can get crowded on the buses. Sometimes, there are as many standing as sitting. Plenty of hand holds though. We experienced for the first time, two Arubians that just pushed there way past people waiting to get on the bus. TOTALLY RUDE BEHAVIOR! That is the first time in 4 visits we have experience such rudeness. Most all people are friendly. The island does not give you an unsafe feeling in most tourist areas. This being two weeks before Christmas, the island is decorated very nice for the holiday! We had no idea what to expect, but they do a very nice job of it. Taxis are plentiful if you choose to travel that way. There are numberous grocery stores, selections vary by stores, prices are island prices you experience in the Caribean as a general rule. They accept Florins or dollars and are courteous in changing dollars. Sometimes, you get Florins back though. Water is warmer than St. John, USVI, in December, my favorite vacation spot. I think the worst part of the trip was the hour it took to get through the airport, as there were 3 planes that landed within minutes of each other and there were less agents in the boths than we had seen on previous trips. The are courteous and work continuously checking people through. We did experience some RUDE Tourists pushing their way into line ahead of others
    We are already talking about coming back next December.

Speaking of rude tourists, I can clearly recall one of our numerous visits. We were sitting at the bar at the Holiday Inn playing cribbage, enjoying our frosty cocktails. There was a line at the bar; and one of our local bartenders was taking very good care of us always. There was a 'gentleman' three deep when he started ranting and raving that we got refills while he was still waiting in line. My boyfriend just turned to him and said (as politely as possible) 'Buddy, if you're this much of an ornery character on vacation; what are you like at home?'. The bartender gave us a side glance and thanked us very much for saying what he couldn't! My theme when I go down is; RELAX and ENJOY!!!
    Last edited by katb161; 12-13-2012 at 08:50 AM.