Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Funny "What was in the water?" story!

Baby Beach, The Beach at Divi Phoenix. The Fontein Caves. Anywhere where my feet are touching sand!

Red face Funny "What was in the water?" story!

My first and only trip to Aruba in 2011 (going back in June '12) and my boyfriend at the time and I stayed at the DIVI Phoenix. I was so captivated by the water. It seems to put this spell on you where you feel so free. For me Aruba was almost a spiritual awakening because I realized that God created SO many beautiful things.
    Well my third or fourth day on the beach I was comfortable swimming in about mid torso high water. I am six feet and was pretty far out. He was way out by the bouys and called to come swim to him...the furthest I had been out YET. I am not even going to guesstimate how far from shore but it seemed far. I figured you only live once so I did it! My dad raised a fearless woman! Got about 3/4 the way to him and we begin to watch each other. Ya know, we got this romantic eye contact thing going on with each other and I am thinking to myself "here I come baby, out to where you are". So I am swimming - half walking and for one moment he looks away and faces out towards the vast ocean. I look down because I felt something between my knees and LOW and BEHOLD if I dont see something dark swimming in the water! It was about 1.5 feet long! Seriously I didnt even stay around to see what it was! Yea...I turned around and back (probably cursed a lil) so fast and thought "Screw this". By the time I got to shore he just was turning back around towards the beach and had this puzzled look on his face like "Where did you go?" I got to shore panting like I had just performed a Baywatch rescue. Looking back it was so funny but from that point on I stayed close to where I could run faster in the water if I needed to head to shore. LOL!

I never tried to analyze what it was. But to me, in my head, it was one of those evil Moray eels from the Little Mermaid!

Don't judge me! LOL!

Sounds like you were able to walk on water!

Aruba since 1979
    I am laughing hard at your story
    Quote Originally Posted by ellejeanelle View Post
    My first and only trip to Aruba in 2011 (going back in June '12) and my boyfriend at the time and I stayed at the DIVI Phoenix. I was so captivated by the water. It seems to put this spell on you where you feel so free. For me Aruba was almost a spiritual awakening because I realized that God created SO many beautiful things.
    Well my third or fourth day on the beach I was comfortable swimming in about mid torso high water. I am six feet and was pretty far out. He was way out by the bouys and called to come swim to him...the furthest I had been out YET. I am not even going to guesstimate how far from shore but it seemed far. I figured you only live once so I did it! My dad raised a fearless woman! Got about 3/4 the way to him and we begin to watch each other. Ya know, we got this romantic eye contact thing going on with each other and I am thinking to myself "here I come baby, out to where you are". So I am swimming - half walking and for one moment he looks away and faces out towards the vast ocean. I look down because I felt something between my knees and LOW and BEHOLD if I dont see something dark swimming in the water! It was about 1.5 feet long! Seriously I didnt even stay around to see what it was! Yea...I turned around and back (probably cursed a lil) so fast and thought "Screw this". By the time I got to shore he just was turning back around towards the beach and had this puzzled look on his face like "Where did you go?" I got to shore panting like I had just performed a Baywatch rescue. Looking back it was so funny but from that point on I stayed close to where I could run faster in the water if I needed to head to shore. LOL!

I never tried to analyze what it was. But to me, in my head, it was one of those evil Moray eels from the Little Mermaid!

Don't judge me! LOL!

Don't know if it was a moray eel but it's definitely NOT unlikely.

My wife and I were walking along the beach/rocks from La Cabana up to the high rise area enjoying the scenery. When we got to the inset before the first jetty, we stopped to look at the little minnows swimming amongst the seaweed where the beach meets the water. Then out of the seaweed we see this long brightly colored eel slithering around! It was prob 2-3 feet long but couldn't tell because we never saw the whole body at one time. She hates snakes/eels and promptly screamed, I love all sorts of marine life and tried to take pictures of it. I'll have to ask her to look up the pictures to see if one came out well enough to post.

In the meantime here's a picture of an eel that's similar but the one we saw seemed to have brighter spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ellejeanelle View Post

Don't judge me! LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funny "What was in the water?" story!-goldentailmoray9.jpg  
    Aruba here we come!

kitwell, it could have been an eel...we go out to snorkel by where the kite surfing huts are and I always seem to see something just beyond plain site....very frustrating when trying to explain to someone what you saw......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979

while snorkeling in aruba

while snorkeling in aruba we saw this little monster. (this is not my photo but a photo i found online of the same type of little creature)
    we were out about 150 yds at renaissance, poking around the sea wall.
    he has a name, "sand diver" but we called him iguana eel.
    he came out a few times and acted a tad bit agressively and very territorial.
    we saw him in the same spot, at least 2 days.

when he came near me, i walked (ran) on water.

if something like what you saw, swam between my legs/near my legs i would be right now on the "underside of the grass"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funny "What was in the water?" story!-sand-diver-3.jpg  

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    I had a close encounter to a baracuda when I was snorkeling along the Reniessance rock wall, but none of these creepy crawlers above! YIKES!

lbl
    Bunker or Coconuts Bar (Tamarijn)- with Friends :)
    I was so looking forward to snorkeling in Aruba...now not so much YIKES! :P
    Are their any that are truly unsafe...I usually quickly swim or as Andrea said run on water but is there anything that will swim towards me faster than I can swim the opposite way. Just wondering?
    L

Aruba since 1979
    in all of the years swimming, snorkeling and scuba in aruba............i have only felt uncomfortable 2x ....large barracuda while snorkeling at baby beach AND that creepy little thing at the sea wall at snorkeling @ renaissance island made me nervous. (i pretended that i was

but, in over 30 visits, and in the ocean many times i have only seen the scary things 2x.

you will be fine............do not go beyond any seawall opening.

lbl
    Bunker or Coconuts Bar (Tamarijn)- with Friends :)
    Happy to hear and will heed your warning Can't wait to leave...hope to have snorkel gear on by 1:00pm April 5th....if there no flight delays!
    L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast