Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got Very Sick on My First Aruba Trip

I'm so sorry you were ill over your vacation. What bad luck that your husband had a mishap too. I feel so bad for you, and I hope your can triple your fun on your next trip; you really deserve it!

A few years ago, I came down with a terrible eye infection (both eyes) on my flight to Aruba. By the time a I arrived, I looked terrible and felt worse. The hotel doctor was absolutely wonderful, the cab driver who took me to the pharmacy couldn't have been nicer (he waited for the 1/2 hour it took to fill my prescription and didn't want to charge me any extra - I gave him a very nice tip). Although I couldn't stand being in the sun for the first couple of days, I was very grateful for the excellent care I received.

Later, we were changing insurance companies and they needed paperwork signed from every doctor we'd seen over the previous two years, and that included the doctor in Aruba. I thought there was no way I was going to find that doctor. Luckily, I had saved my prescription bottle, and had his name. I called the hotel, and they gave me his number. I called him, and he was on the golf course, lol. He said he'd call his secretary and ask her to fax the info I needed. Of all the doctors I needed to contact, he was, by far, the quickest to get the info back to me.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Was it Dr. Habibe? I always end up with Dr. Habibe.

coronacathy
    I don't plan on getting sick in Aruba again......but....let me know about this good Dr. just in case.
    Thanks everyone I am feeling alot better today. I went back to work
    Hubby is doing good also. He didn't let those injuries stop him from doing anything while in Aruba. The Balashi's help kill his pain!

"Was it Dr. Habibe?"

I am so forgetful. I don't remember his name now, and I really should have kept a record of it, in case we ended up sick in Aruba again. He was the on call doctor for the Marriott. It was almost a year and a half later when I called him, and he still remembered treating me. Yep, not keeping his name was a real bonehead move on my part.

I just saw my countdown number..and WOW..just 20 days until our next trip to Aruba!!! I'm going to check with the Mariott and find out who the on call doctors are, and see if a name rings a bell. If it does, I'll be sure to let you know.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!
    Oh God, I'm so sorry to hear about you being sick! I would be crying too.
    I hope you get back soon!! So much is going around and the weather in New Jersey is not helping, cold, warm, cold, warm.
    I have the flu right now and my doc gave me and my husband (as a preventative, he is not sick) Tamiflu.
    I still have an awful cough but I am thankful if I had to get sick that its happening now, We leave 4/05.

Glad you are better! Best of Luck on your next trip.

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.
    Cathy, i sure do know how you felt. We were at the Tam., the first week of Dec., I had the flu for the first 5 days, , ate very little and didn't have a Balashi till the 6th day.Luckily we were staying for 11 days. It was ironic, Arlene(my wife) said she wanted to get lots of R&R for the first 3 or 4 days. She did just that, she sat on the beach and relaxed at the Bunker Bar...Yes, we were also staying in building 1900.. I just laid in bed and drank gallons of water.I actually lost about 10 pounds while in Aruba.,,,Well, were going back to Paradise in about 60 days,,,,, Hopefully it will be a lot more Balashis this trip.

coronacathy
    Cple,
    Glad your getting to go back to Aruba & do it right this time! Hopefully by then this bug thats going around will be dead! Alot of people believe that drinking that new airborne otc medicine helps them. My Dr. told me its worth a try, sure can't hurt you. Maybe take some before you leave for good luck!
    Are you staying in the 1900 bldg. again? We had requested the 1100 or 1400 bldg. but were put in the 1900. Ended up we liked it up there. Decided when we go back we will request it again.
    Stay Healthy & Have a Great Time...drink a few Balashi's for me, I sure didn't get my moneys worth!

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.
    Hi Cathy, We love the Tam. We've stayed there 4 times in the past 2 years, but this trip is going to be a bit different. Arlene decided that we needed to bring the entire family to Aruba. We are renting a 4 bedroom house this trip. I have to admit,,it wasn't my idea. It should be very interesting. Our 3 kids, 30,32,and 35. Our son-in-law, 2 grand children, and a freind of our daughter...Well, i'll be honest, i'm going sit on the beach and drink a lot of Balashi. They can do all the exploring they want to. They'll know where to find me..... I hope you can get back to paradise soon,,,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12