Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: hate aruba

Sorry Aruba was not your island. We are on a countdown--11 more days till sun,sand,beautiful blue water and a drink or 2. Oh and a group of great people-the ones we travel with and the Arubans.

I have not been to Bermuda but daughter has-- she will be making her 15+trip to Aruba. She felt Bermuda was very expensive--liked the ease of getting there.
    Last edited by LynnB.; 07-03-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post
    I have been to Bermuda 3 times - once on business, twice on vacation- and I do like the island. It is a nice short flight from the East Coast, but
    1) the restaurants are nowhere as good as Aruba
    2) the weather is only good for the beach 3 months a year
    3) lots of hurricanes
    4) you can't rent a car so getting around is either expensive by cab or dangerous on a moped
    5) the snorkeling is lousy

That's why we bought a TS in Aruba, and as someone else in this community said so appropriately, thanks for leaving an open spot on the beach for us. Can't wait to see our Aruban friends on Monday!!

I have also been to Bermuda 7 times and each island has its own unique elements. Bermuda is more "our" new england weather and can only travel there in the warmer months whereas Aruba you can travel 365 days a year. It is all in what you want. Bermuda is expensive. Before traveling to Aruba we had a cruise booked from Boston to Bermuda and we cancelled it to try aruba; we actually saved money!! So not one island is better than the other; they are both clean and no poverty seen...

Lisa
    First trip to Aruba down; many more to come

Lisa

I can only say to each their own---mine just happens to be Aruba. Sorry someone didn't enjoy.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I really appreciate the fact that no personal attacks are allowed on this forum. I was recently on another forum, researching ports for an upcoming cruise and was very put off by some of the negative remarks some of the people were making to others with differing opinions. I've been to a lot of islands, but have never been to Bermuda. I hope to go there in the future. Of all of the islands I have visited, Aruba is absolutely my favorite. I love its warm, sunny weather, beautiful beaches, and outstanding restaurants. When I walk around town or around the beach areas I feel safe, which I don't feel on some other islands.The Aruban people are beautiful people, so friendly and helpful. This truly is one happy island! That is why we will be coming back to Aruba in February. If you're not that impressed with Aruba during the summer, try visiting in Feb. when back home folks are dealing with two feet of snow! I didn't want to leave and we actually changed our return flight and found an available hotel and stayed an extra five days. I can't wait to get back!!! I used to dread Feb. Now its my favorite month.

Information and opinions are helpful

I have yet to make my first trip to Aruba. However, the "hate Aruba" comment reminds me of my first trip to Hawaii. I thought it was over priced, over populated, too. However, after a couple of days I found myself loving the place. I think it requires the right attitude. So I am ready to try Aruba (with the attitude I will have to share). We currently live on a planet with lots of people who can afford a lot of travel. So the good ole days of lonely lslands may be over. I 've discovered its not what you pay but what you get for it. Good food cost good money. Beautiful beaches have a lot of people. There are lonely beachs left in the Islands. Try Dominica, Canouan or Mustique. You will find good food and few people.

Quote Originally Posted by dale4011 View Post
    I have yet to make my first trip to Aruba. However, the "hate Aruba" comment reminds me of my first trip to Hawaii. I thought it was over priced, over populated, too. However, after a couple of days I found myself loving the place. I think it requires the right attitude. So I am ready to try Aruba (with the attitude I will have to share). We currently live on a planet with lots of people who can afford a lot of travel. So the good ole days of lonely lslands may be over. I 've discovered its not what you pay but what you get for it. Good food cost good money. Beautiful beaches have a lot of people. There are lonely beaches left in the Islands. Try Dominica, Canouan or Mustique. You will find good food and few people.
    Dale-
    Good points and I think this community is very careful to "respectfully disagee" with each other, whether it is about restaurants, favorite beaches, or now, other islands. The truth is if you're looking for a deserted island, none of these tourist islands are the place for you. We too had our doubts about Hawaii and avoided Oahu on our first trip there. On our second trip we discovered the most amazing beaches on the North shore of Oahu...and they were almost deserted too. As they say, to each his own and there's a place for everyone. I guess we are all lucky we have gotten to try different places and enjoy them all in our own way.

I'll raise an Amstel Bright tomorrow when we get to Aruba and think about how good life is...and Andrea thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure I'll have some great things to report back.

Jeffnev,
    I forgot to mention our first Aruba trip is planned for Oct 4. We are still planning what to do. Jazz Festival is on our list. Any other suggestions? Dale

Dale-
    Follow some of the threads on this site as the moderators have posted lots of great ideas, etc. Also go to the "things to do" link on this page more ideas. In a nutshell, eat (lots of good reataurant suggestions made by site members), drink (no lack of booze and beer on the island), and enjoy the beaches and water activities. Lot's of people haver recommended either Bully or Cerrie for a guided tour-probably a great idea for a first time visitor to get a feel for the island.

For a beach on Aruba where no one else goes, try the northern beach at Dos Playa on a weekday. BUT you will have to hike to get there.

Radisson; Madame Janette; Downtown; Natural Bridge (even though only remnants remain); Marriott; Eagle Beach; Palm Beach
    Aruba....Aruba....Aruba!!! There.....I've said it THREE times!!! LOL Actually, we've come to Aruba 14 times; this will be our 15th visit. We've been to other Caribbean islands as well as to Bermuda. NONE can compare to "One Happy Island"...in any respect. We love it for the accommodations; the variety of GOOD restaurants; Palm/Eagle Beach and....last but certainly not least....THE PEOPLE!! They make you feel right at home from the start. And....if you attempt to speak a little Papiamento....you've got it made!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast