Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: i like the new site!!! and my story of 6 mo stay!

Smile i like the new site!!! and my story of 6 mo stay!

I know I haven't been on the forum for a good long time but I am back in the cold and missing Aruba everyday.
    I left on Nov 4th and just got back last Sat. It was a sweet trip home because in Chicago at 4 pm Friday night, they told me they were over booked so I took the bump and got dinner, breakfast, free night at Marriott and a free ticket back to Aruba. I got home Sat noon so that was well worth it. Heres a few tips for you:
    Zeerovers now peels and deveins the shrimp for you.
    JoAnes past the airport from the high rise is a great local spot. Very good porkchops. I believe Dan writes about them on his bent page.
    Barefoot is still awsome
    Barneys is great
    Bingos is great
    Ruth Chris is awsome
    Smokey Joes is great
    Pizza Bobs. Best pizza
    Yeimanji is awsome!!
    Champions great
    Sultons. My favorite!! Get the lamb platter.
    Casa viea. Great.
    I saved the BEST for LAST!!!! Scotts Brats!!!! Its the BEST on the Island. Not only are the brats great, they have a great steak sandwich and ask for a pepperonie quasadia. YUM!!!
    You would think after 5 months I would be tired of Aruba but I just booked another trip for this weekend because we had 10 inches of snow. Also booked a 9 week trip for July and Aug and another 5 months for next winter. I did get my citizenship so I don't have to leave the Island every 30 days and now I can stay longer than 6 months a year. I always thought Aruba was my 2nd home but I am begining to think that Aruba is my first home.

I did stay at Marriott Surf Club and Ocean Club and I still think the Marriotts are the best. I know you hear alot of different stuff but we absolutley Love the Marriotts.

Did go to Super food and there are still some things they don't have so we use Lings also. The one grocery in Nord closed up which was a shock. They were always opened on Sunday till 8. I did notice that Lings are now open till 9 since Super food opened up. That gives them a xtra hour over super food.

The weather was more rain in Jan. The grass on the sides of the roads were green. Now they are back to brown.

Aruba is changing alot but its still ONE HAPPY ISLAND TO ME!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by kent; 03-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Thanks for the report! This is my first day getting used to the new format. I have read, and according to you, "Aruba is changing alot but is still ONE HAPPY ISLAND ***." I have not been back for quite some time...but, loved each and every time that I returned and, have spent almost all my returns at the "Marriott."

To you, and all the other Members of the Forum, I wish Happy Holidays, and "A Happy Easter."

Ed

Great report Kent.

i do have a question: you wrote that "I did get my citizenship so I don't have to leave the Island every 30 days and now I can stay longer than 6 months a year."

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought that we, as US citizens, can stay an entire six months in a row if we want and we don't have to leave the island every thirty days. Did that change? I am only asking because I plan on staying at my home there for over 30 days at a time starting next year. Just wondering if the requirements have changed.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    citizenship or residency?
    i am confused.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    How lucky are you to spend so much time in paradise! Thanks for all the restaurant updates and have a great trip when you go back soon!

Great report Kent!

5 months in Aruba?

Don't you work! LOL

I'm looking forward to my trip in May. I'm going to see if I can schedule another snorkeling trip with Kent.

How was the snorkeling for 5 months?

Kent....first let me say it was an excellent report.....second, I do not like you one bit, not even a little.....going to Aruba for all that time !!!! How dare you !!!!
    So jealous......

Just kidding.....but, really.....how dare you....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I guess I should say Residency.
    You are allowed to spend 6 months in a calender year but they are getting sticky on the 30 day rule. They claim if you stay longer than 30 days at a time, you have to get of the Island for 1 night. Alot of people have not had a problem with this but this past stay, they warned me and a few other people that you need to get off the Island after 30 days or you need to go to Demos and get a extention. I always tell people that you could line up 10 Aruban people and ask them the same question and you will get 10 different answers. I don't know why its like that but that has been my experience.
    As far as getting your residency, its a long process and then they give you a permit good for 1 year and then you have to renew it every year so it takes 10 years before you are a resident.
    Ace2063: I do work. I have a lawncare and tree buisness in Indiana and that is only 6 months a year since we don't mow or push snow. Its a tough job but someone has to do it.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Aruba since 1979
    so you are not a resident? that process takes 10 years of being forced to reapply/renew annually?

i did not know the process had to be renewed annually.
    that is a pain.

has DIMAS been able to show you that in writing the 30 day law?

Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    I guess I should say Residency.
    You are allowed to spend 6 months in a calender year but they are getting sticky on the 30 day rule. They claim if you stay longer than 30 days at a time, you have to get of the Island for 1 night. Alot of people have not had a problem with this but this past stay, they warned me and a few other people that you need to get off the Island after 30 days or you need to go to Demos and get a extention. I always tell people that you could line up 10 Aruban people and ask them the same question and you will get 10 different answers. I don't know why its like that but that has been my experience.
    As far as getting your residency, its a long process and then they give you a permit good for 1 year and then you have to renew it every year so it takes 10 years before you are a resident.
    Ace2063: I do work. I have a lawncare and tree buisness in Indiana and that is only 6 months a year since we don't mow or push snow. Its a tough job but someone has to do it.

hey buddy, agree with scotts brats. my hero's, scott, leslie aka luvsun and kent gerber. 3 folks who work their .... off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast