Aruba Beach

Thread: June/July Trip

June/July Trip

Ok, so just got back from our first trip to Aruba. One of the best trip we have been on.

We arrived late on the 27th around 830 and didn't have a rental at the time. Took a taxi to the Marriott and walked around the mall across the street. Didn't remember the name of the Mall, it has the Cinema and bowling alley.

1st full day we had nothing planned. Got picked up for the car rental from Ace Rentals. For the price it was a great idea. Driving is simple there, I was thinking how everyone was talking that there were bad drivers there or really aggressive. I didn't feel that way, better drivers there than in the States. We parked and walked around the Renaissance Mall, we ate at a Caribbean Grille across the street.

2nd day was our first dive with JADS. I would highly recommend them. They picked us up at the time mentioned and it wasn't a large group for the dive. We had 2 dive guides and 4 divers including wife and myself. Dove the aircraft locations. Amazing views, was better than The Great Barrier Reef IMO.

We also had the Kukoo Kunuko party bus. Probably the best night we had there. Mama and the group we were with made the night.

3rd day was another day of relaxing around the pool and beach. We did eat at Madame Janettes and it was the best meal of the trip. The lamb chops were the best I have ever had. And price wise based on the meals we had was excellent. We should have gone back. It did take a second to find the restaurant though as it was not off a main road really.

4th day was the 2nd dive with JADS. Again 4 divers but this time with only one guide. Had another 2 dives, one at 90' to a sunken ship and another seeing the reef. We had taken a hour long timeshare through marriott 2 days prior and they gave us $100 in giftcards for a few restaurants. Luckily the Aqua Grille took them. She had the Blackened Grouper I had the King Crab. 2nd best dinner there. We gambled at the Radisson later that night. Came up about $100, not bad on $5 tables.

Last day was horseback riding with The Gold Mine Ranch. We did have a couple issues with them, however they were corrected. We were to be picked up at 750, however I had to call around 820 cause no one had showed up. We were picked up about 10 minutes later, they didn't have any info on our reservation and luckily I had printed out the email conformation. The only riders were me and wifey, so we did get a private ride. However and this was the main thing that bothered the wife and I. The tour guide that rode with us didn't speak much English at all. Really it was we just couldn't ask about anything on the ride. That was pretty disappointing.

Our last night we had reservations at Barefoot. We weren't very impressed with them. The wine included was very bitter, like it had been sitting out for awhile. I had the Blackened Mahi, wife had the Lobster. her lobster was very good, however the Mahi had too much blackened pepper on it and the potatoes that came with it were not very good.

Overall we had a great time, the Marriott was great, the food was great. I had expected the prices for food but not a lot of the other stuff. This was so far our favorite trip we have taken, including Australia and Jamaica. We will be returning in a few years.

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks for the trip report.
    I have never heard anyone say the diving in aruba was better than the great barrier reef!! Wow.

Aside from the language barrier and the scheduling snafu, was the horseback adventure fun and would you go again if given the opportunity?

Sorry to hear barefoot restaurant was disappointing.the place rarely gets mediocre or poor reviews.

Thanks for posting!
    QUOTE=xconcepts;228433]Ok, so just got back from our first trip to Aruba. One of the best trip we have been on.

We arrived late on the 27th around 830 and didn't have a rental at the time. Took a taxi to the Marriott and walked around the mall across the street. Didn't remember the name of the Mall, it has the Cinema and bowling alley.

1st full day we had nothing planned. Got picked up for the car rental from Ace Rentals. For the price it was a great idea. Driving is simple there, I was thinking how everyone was talking that there were bad drivers there or really aggressive. I didn't feel that way, better drivers there than in the States. We parked and walked around the Renaissance Mall, we ate at a Caribbean Grille across the street.

2nd day was our first dive with JADS. I would highly recommend them. They picked us up at the time mentioned and it wasn't a large group for the dive. We had 2 dive guides and 4 divers including wife and myself. Dove the aircraft locations. Amazing views, was better than The Great Barrier Reef IMO.

We also had the Kukoo Kunuko party bus. Probably the best night we had there. Mama and the group we were with made the night.

3rd day was another day of relaxing around the pool and beach. We did eat at Madame Janettes and it was the best meal of the trip. The lamb chops were the best I have ever had. And price wise based on the meals we had was excellent. We should have gone back. It did take a second to find the restaurant though as it was not off a main road really.

4th day was the 2nd dive with JADS. Again 4 divers but this time with only one guide. Had another 2 dives, one at 90' to a sunken ship and another seeing the reef. We had taken a hour long timeshare through marriott 2 days prior and they gave us $100 in giftcards for a few restaurants. Luckily the Aqua Grille took them. She had the Blackened Grouper I had the King Crab. 2nd best dinner there. We gambled at the Radisson later that night. Came up about $100, not bad on $5 tables.

Last day was horseback riding with The Gold Mine Ranch. We did have a couple issues with them, however they were corrected. We were to be picked up at 750, however I had to call around 820 cause no one had showed up. We were picked up about 10 minutes later, they didn't have any info on our reservation and luckily I had printed out the email conformation. The only riders were me and wifey, so we did get a private ride. However and this was the main thing that bothered the wife and I. The tour guide that rode with us didn't speak much English at all. Really it was we just couldn't ask about anything on the ride. That was pretty disappointing.

Our last night we had reservations at Barefoot. We weren't very impressed with them. The wine included was very bitter, like it had been sitting out for awhile. I had the Blackened Mahi, wife had the Lobster. her lobster was very good, however the Mahi had too much blackened pepper on it and the potatoes that came with it were not very good.

Overall we had a great time, the Marriott was great, the food was great. I had expected the prices for food but not a lot of the other stuff. This was so far our favorite trip we have taken, including Australia and Jamaica. We will be returning in a few years.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Thanks for the trip report.
    I have never heard anyone say the diving in aruba was better than the great barrier reef!! Wow.

Aside from the language barrier and the scheduling snafu, was the horseback adventure fun and would you go again if given the opportunity?

Sorry to hear barefoot restaurant was disappointing.the place rarely gets mediocre or poor reviews.

Thanks for posting!
    Yeah the GBR was very murky when we went, could have just been the locations or the time of year. Also that was the only time I got sea sick and I have never been seasick.

We actually didn't care too much for the horseback riding, that will probably be our only time doing so.

Barefoot also had a ton of flying bugs while we were on our 3rd course. We had a 630 reservation too.