Aruba Beach

Thread: Just Back:Highlights

Just Back:Highlights

Back from Divi and CDM on Saturday night. Had a great time, as usual.
    Observations/Highlights:
    There was a screaming fugitive in the last seat of the plane going down. He was surrounded by burly authorities, returning him to Aruba. I don't know what they did, but he suddenly fell silent with lidded eyes and a glazed-over expression.
    It rained more than we have seen before in July.
    There was much less wind.
    There were more flies and gnats.
    It was hotter than usual and the locals were complaining.
    The Divi is doing some nice work. New landscaping, Bali Beds, lounging pool and more.
    Divi and Tam felt like England in a heat wave. There must be some great prices being offered because we have never seen so many Brits. Usual accents are Boston, CT and New York. This time, London, Liverpool and Wales.
    Upgrades at Casa del Mar are moving along well. Beach was far better than last year. Pool is still a problem. Does not stay clean all day.
    Bully was great. Waiting for us at the airport and got us back with time to spare.
    World cup semis and finals made the island festive. When a cabbie asked who I wanted to win, I told him, Holland, because they were the underdog to the favored Spain." I guess he misunderstood what that meant, because he was offended and overcharged us.
    The airport is my favorite, coming and going. Food, drink, shopping, slots, TV and even smoking areas make it a nice adventure, even on a Saturday.
    Matthew's Rib Night still great, as is Promenade Appetizer Dinner.
    Too hot and hectic this year at Texas de Brazil.
    Tortuga Grill at ABC is still the best-kept secret, best priced venue for great food at good prices, right on the beach.
    Downtown is empty, even on a Saturday night.
    Palm Beach is the new "downtown."
    Won't waste time going to the Marriot again. Plenty to do without going up there.
    Number of visitors from South America is up as well. Seems Aruba is not counting on just American tourism dollars.
    Glad to be home, but missing Aruba already. I guess that is a good sign.

Walt
    "Vacation is what you make of it, take from it and what you leave behind."

Thanks for reporting the highlights of your trip.

Am curious what upgrades are being done at CDM and
    Pool is still a problem. Does not stay clean all day.
    the water just gets cloudy or worse

Aruba since 1979
    loved your review/observations.

note to self..........i will not mention soccer/football to anyone.

we will be on island aug 7 - 21, and 1st week will be at CDM. walt, will you elaborate on the pool information and its cleanliness? am i going to have to put on my "certified commercial pool operator's hat" when i get there? a number of yrs ago i got wrangled in to teaching a cpr class and some swimming pool quality seminars at one of the larger resorts.

and i feel that the downtown is now a lonely and sad place.
    what a shame.

The special assessment at CDM is being used to replace mattresses, toilets, appliances, etc. Things are moving along well.
    The pool however, is a problem. Lots of talk on CDM Boards. Cloudy, scummy by afternoon. Can't figure why all other pools on the island look good all day while CDM is sometimes gross.
    Owners are not happy yet getting nowhere.
    Walt

Aruba since 1979
    2 words
    Filtration
    Disinfection

they are probably being CHEAP and not running their filter 24/7
    and importing stabilized chlorine is expensive so maybe they are running it at minimums to save $$$
    minimums are not acceptable
    with the SUN and the heat and the downpours one has to run the disinfection (chlorine) at HIGH almost unacceptble HIGH levels AND run the filters nonstop.

no excuse for CDM

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    2 words
    Filtration
    Disinfection

they are probably being CHEAP and not running their filter 24/7
    and importing stabilized chlorine is expensive so maybe they are running it at minimums to save $$$
    minimums are not acceptable
    with the SUN and the heat and the downpours one has to run the disinfection (chlorine) at HIGH almost unacceptble HIGH levels AND run the filters nonstop.

no excuse for CDM
    That's what I told Wendy. She asked why the pool was looking so bad and I felt they were only filtering at night. An active pool filters better as you "stir up" the debris and get it into the skimmers. Without a bottom drain, you only clean the top few inches of water.
    I also wondered if there is a liablity/safety issue. If they have the old style intakes, there is a terrible safety risk. I didn't see any of those, but then again, I was leaving the "Pool Police" job for you!

Aruba since 1979
    yup just call me the pool nazi.
    here in the USA main drains have to be covered by a screen-like cage-like device to prevent folks from getting sucked in.
    even private home backyard pools and spas/hot tubs in the usa have to be compliant......per homeowner's insurance policies.

a heavily used pool OR a pool exposed to hot weather, lots of sun exposure HAS to be filtered lots.
    i recommend that you list what you observed to the management of CDM and CC to the board members.
    we'll be at CDM aug 7 and i want a clean pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup just call me the pool nazi.
    here in the USA main drains have to be covered by a screen-like cage-like device to prevent folks from getting sucked in.
    even private home backyard pools and spas/hot tubs in the usa have to be compliant......per homeowner's insurance policies.

a heavily used pool OR a pool exposed to hot weather, lots of sun exposure HAS to be filtered lots.
    i recommend that you list what you observed to the management of CDM and CC to the board members.
    we'll be at CDM aug 7 and i want a clean pool.
    Yup. I have already started a discussion on the CDM boards where they are monitored by management. Maybe that will start things in a positive direction.
    Walt