Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just back from my annual fix.

Banned

Just back from my annual fix.

This afternoon at 3PM after I cut my grass I had this overwhelming urge to go down to the beach and play volleyball. Sadly I am at home.

Week 27 at LaCabana started off on the bad side. The flight down to Aruba airspace was very smooth. There was just one problem. There were these ominous black clouds preventing us from landing. The 45 minutes circling the island seemed like an eternity but we eventually landed. It could have been worse. We could have been diverted to Curacao and spent the night in their airport. Someone told me that happened to them. As we landed, there was this strange moisture on the windows in the form of drops. Yes, it was raining. But thankfully we were on the ground.

We got to LaCabana around 2 and checked in. The room was not ready so they told me to come back later to get into the room. I would have to wait in the same line as the hordes checking in just to see if my room was ready. Around 3:30 I run into John the bellman. He hooks me up with a 5 person sedan that will carry our luggage for 190 for the week and he went behind the front desk and got us our room keys. Things were looking up.

The room was awesome as usual,3rd floor 2bed/bath oceanfront. I brought my own mai tai recipe with me, all I needed was some sweet and sour mix and pineapple juice so we went to the supermarket. We got food too. It was time to play. BTW, very mediocre sunsets all week. We still toasted them.

We did breakfast and lunch out of the room everyday and ate out at night. I mixed my own drinks on the beach. Palapas were plentiful. I got out as late as 10AM and there were several available. I can't imagine being there in peak season, fighting at 5AM for beach space.

We did the Tranquilo on Tuesday for the all day cruise. Let's just say I was expecting more. Capt. Anthony was awesome but it was a little too crowded for his size boat for my taste. It was mostly sailing and little snorkeling. $385.00 for the 5 of us for that trip. Ouch!

We did a half day at DePalm Island on Wednesday. We drove and got there at noon at their ferry landing. It was still expensive but we justified it by the 2 meals we would eat there along with the drinks. This place still has the best snorkeling I have seen on the island. I have not snorkeled past the high rises though. We had a great day here. When we got back to LaCabana after, my 10 year old son runs into this TV/movie star. He currently stars on one of Disney channel's shows. He posed for a quick picture after my son asked him. He was very friendly and it made my son's whole trip. We ended up playing volleyball with him and others over the next couple days. That was pretty cool.

The weather was definitely strange the whole week. There was more rain than I have seen in week 27 compared to previous years. Looking back on this week, the clouds were a welcome relief. I had more than my share of sun. Most of the week was hanging at the beach and pool. We fed the fish at the beach with bread. It's actually a good way to meet people. We did the bingo at the pool in the afternoon. It was overall a very relaxing and much needed week. We ate at Texas De Brazil only because we got a half price deal. We did Smokey Joe's. We did Iguana Joes downtown. That was horrible. The food was really bad. Aside from Texas De Brazil, the one other highlight for dinner was the Bugaloe at the end of DePalm Pier. There was a good band and the only awesome sunset all week. The band I think is only there on Friday nights. Pretty good food too.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow, day one at work. It's 115 degrees inside the building I work in. 51 weeks and counting.

Great report and looking forward to going down in a couple weeks...thanks for the help

Aruba since 1979
    glad that you had a good vacation

how "crowded" was the tranquillo?
    and there was little snorkel time?
    can u give more details?

thanks
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    This afternoon at 3PM after I cut my grass I had this overwhelming urge to go down to the beach and play volleyball. Sadly I am at home.

Week 27 at LaCabana started off on the bad side. The flight down to Aruba airspace was very smooth. There was just one problem. There were these ominous black clouds preventing us from landing. The 45 minutes circling the island seemed like an eternity but we eventually landed. It could have been worse. We could have been diverted to Curacao and spent the night in their airport. Someone told me that happened to them. As we landed, there was this strange moisture on the windows in the form of drops. Yes, it was raining. But thankfully we were on the ground.

We got to LaCabana around 2 and checked in. The room was not ready so they told me to come back later to get into the room. I would have to wait in the same line as the hordes checking in just to see if my room was ready. Around 3:30 I run into John the bellman. He hooks me up with a 5 person sedan that will carry our luggage for 190 for the week and he went behind the front desk and got us our room keys. Things were looking up.

The room was awesome as usual,3rd floor 2bed/bath oceanfront. I brought my own mai tai recipe with me, all I needed was some sweet and sour mix and pineapple juice so we went to the supermarket. We got food too. It was time to play. BTW, very mediocre sunsets all week. We still toasted them.

We did breakfast and lunch out of the room everyday and ate out at night. I mixed my own drinks on the beach. Palapas were plentiful. I got out as late as 10AM and there were several available. I can't imagine being there in peak season, fighting at 5AM for beach space.

We did the Tranquilo on Tuesday for the all day cruise. Let's just say I was expecting more. Capt. Anthony was awesome but it was a little too crowded for his size boat for my taste. It was mostly sailing and little snorkeling. $385.00 for the 5 of us for that trip. Ouch!

We did a half day at DePalm Island on Wednesday. We drove and got there at noon at their ferry landing. It was still expensive but we justified it by the 2 meals we would eat there along with the drinks. This place still has the best snorkeling I have seen on the island. I have not snorkeled past the high rises though. We had a great day here. When we got back to LaCabana after, my 10 year old son runs into this TV/movie star. He currently stars on one of Disney channel's shows. He posed for a quick picture after my son asked him. He was very friendly and it made my son's whole trip. We ended up playing volleyball with him and others over the next couple days. That was pretty cool.

The weather was definitely strange the whole week. There was more rain than I have seen in week 27 compared to previous years. Looking back on this week, the clouds were a welcome relief. I had more than my share of sun. Most of the week was hanging at the beach and pool. We fed the fish at the beach with bread. It's actually a good way to meet people. We did the bingo at the pool in the afternoon. It was overall a very relaxing and much needed week. We ate at Texas De Brazil only because we got a half price deal. We did Smokey Joe's. We did Iguana Joes downtown. That was horrible. The food was really bad. Aside from Texas De Brazil, the one other highlight for dinner was the Bugaloe at the end of DePalm Pier. There was a good band and the only awesome sunset all week. The band I think is only there on Friday nights. Pretty good food too.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow, day one at work. It's 115 degrees inside the building I work in. 51 weeks and counting.

Banned
    We left at 9:30 and got back at 4. My guess is we had about an hour of snorkel time. Not everyone gets to do the drift. You are evaluated in the shallow area and are either recommended or not for the drift which is a trip in the zodiac out past the reef into the deep water. Your in about 15-20 feet of water in 2-3 foot chop. We had 20 people on the boat but when I reserved I was told 16 was the max. So with the amount of people we had, he had to take us out in shifts which shortened our time. We were not far from DePalm Island which I thought had a lot more to see. You could swim to the deep water by yourself there. He was a real nice guy and treated us well with food and drink but I would not do it again.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for the explanation.
    i am disappointed that u did not get to do the drift snorkel.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    We left at 9:30 and got back at 4. My guess is we had about an hour of snorkel time. Not everyone gets to do the drift. You are evaluated in the shallow area and are either recommended or not for the drift which is a trip in the zodiac out past the reef into the deep water. Your in about 15-20 feet of water in 2-3 foot chop. We had 20 people on the boat but when I reserved I was told 16 was the max. So with the amount of people we had, he had to take us out in shifts which shortened our time. We were not far from DePalm Island which I thought had a lot more to see. You could swim to the deep water by yourself there. He was a real nice guy and treated us well with food and drink but I would not do it again.

vivid description, can't wait to experience it.

Nice report, thanks for sharing!

Banned
    I did the drift snorkel, it was not what I was expecting though.

North Side of the island, we spend a day there alone and maybe see 4 people.

Pool side Bartender?

Just wondering if you met Nelson the Bartender at the Pool Side Bar at La Cabana?
    We own at Casa Del Mar but always visit him.

Banned
    I don't spend much time by the poolside bar. The only one I know there is Orlando. We do wear wrist bands now at LaCabana so security is always looking to remove people without them. This has upset a lot of owners who are used to guest from other resorts coming by to visit. They will probably leave you alone at the bar, but if you sit by the pool at the tables they may ask you to leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast