Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just Got Back...

Just Got Back...

Got back yesterday from 2 weeks at Occidental. First time we've been to Aruba. Already looking at booking a return trip for next year! Loved it!

Aruba since 1979
    glad to hear that you loved it.

if you have the time or inclination, please write out a trip report for us
    to read.

Well to be honest we didn't do much. We did the Discover Aruba bus tour which visited the California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Natural Bridge, Lunch at B55 and Baby Beach. We had about an hour to snorkel at Baby Beach which was amazing. Will definitely be going back there next time.
    Other than that day trip we just stayed around Palm Beach, visited the local shops and couple of retaurants (Hard Rock Cafe & Tango Argentine Grill) and utilised the hotels all inclusive facilities.
    We are hoping to get back there next May/June and will definitely be staying at the Occidental again (unless an amazing deal turns up for another hotel which is unlikely!).
    We originally thought we should try other carribean islands as we've never been but several people we spoke to when in Aruba said they had been to many islands and none were as nice as Aruba!
    Last edited by aaruck; 07-20-2011 at 09:23 AM.

glad you enjoyed the occidental, great resort and staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky59 View Post
    glad you enjoyed the occidental, great resort and staff.
    Definitely. I have read that some of the other hotels might be in slightly better condition but I never noticed anything bad about Occidental at all. The staff were amazingly friendly. We only had 1 dissapointing moment in the whole 2 weeks which was in the Mexican restaurant when we had rude service, second hand dips taken off another table and given to us and food missing ingredients! We gave the restaurant another chance however and the second time we went we had a different waiter 'Tony' who was amazing and so was the food.

Oh we stayed in room 1310. Great view of the pool etc and could just about see the sea. Really nice. Spent very little time in the room however as there are so many nice bars to relax in!

Our trips must have overlapped! We returned Saturday. The last week, we were at CDM, but the week before, we were at the Occidental.
    Stayed in 2201, lobby level on the Rad side. Nice view of the pool, easy to get to.
    We rented from an owner with optional all-inclusive and chose the "partial" which provided breakfast, lunch and drinks. Saved money and were free to go off-site for dinner if we needed to. Have already reserved for next year. We just loved splitting time betwee the high-rise and low-rise areas. Also liked not having to try to reserve restaurant seats at the Occidental for dinners or feeling that we had to eat, just to get fair value.
    Walt
    "Vacation is what you make of it, take from it and what you leave behind."

Questions:

Did you stay in a time share? a regular hotel room?

did you have the All Inclusive?

any problems getting lounge chair on the beach or by the pool?

many children??

I thought time shares were on floors, 7, 8 and 9??

Hi, If the questions were for me; we stayed in a hotel room (not timeshare). We had all inclusive including evening meals.
    Not problems getting sunloungers by the beach or the pool. The pool was busier in the afternoons however. If you want a palapa on the beach in the morning you need to get there before 8am but you can get them in the afternoon when it is quieter.

There were some strange people who I saw reserving sunbeds by the pool at 5.30/6.00am but it wasn't necessary.

Hardly any children the first week. There were a few the second week but not so many that we really noticed otherwise it would have annoyed us to be honest.

I don't know where the time shares are.

really dont understand comment's, i have also read about the occidental's condition?
    the hotel room's are all newly renovated, every room has balcony's with great views. the hotel is very clean and your right on the beach, no walking thru a compound getting to the pool and beach. this hotel is top notch for location, cleanliness, staff, and activities.
    the all inclusive, if you go more than once a year could get old.
    almost forgot to mention the bar right on the beach, am i missing something when folk's speak of this hotel in a negative manor?
    sure all inclusive may not be for all, yes aruba has great restaurant's, not everyone can afford the cost of eating dinner's off the resort, which are increasing each year.the competition and rising rent has forced restaurant's out of business or barely hanging on.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast