Aruba Beach

Thread: from KAYM42 RIU review

Aruba since 1979

from KAYM42 RIU review

Just Back from Riu Timeshare
    We just returned April 3 from a week-long stay in a timeshare unit at the Riu. Like others, we also read the concerns about the units before going - so our expectations were not high - but we didn't plan to be inside much anyway! While the units are not newly updated, ours was spacious, clean and comfortable. We were not disappointed. It was a second-floor unit with a huge balcony and nice location - convenient to the beach and pool.

We decided on the all-inclusive option - so the kitchen, while well-equipped, was not used. (Awesome for me - no cooking!!) One notable difference from the hotel all-inclusive is that there's no supply of drinks in the unit like there would be in the hotel rooms - and no room service. There was no problem getting soft drinks at the dining room during buffets though - and taking them with us. (The bartenders also happily filled any of our thermal mugs to take with us on the beach.) The buffet food was very good - though we agreed that we were tired of it by the end of the week (no fault of their's). We also ate at the Japanese and Steak House restaurants and enjoyed them.

We found the hotel staff very friendly, pleasant and helpful. No problem with finding lounge chairs at the pool either - though we did hear that the hotel was less than 60% full. "Chickies" at the beach were "reserved" early by tipping the beach guys - but we managed that around 9am - not 5 or 6 am like we read. (Thank goodness - I'd NEVER get up that early on vacation!!)

The beach was nice - and we noticed guys early in the am sweeping up and bagging the stuff that came in with the tide overnight. Walking into the water - no shells to stumble through like we encountered further down the beach where we rented wave-runners.

We did realize that the layout of the Riu - and perhaps having less "greenery" than other hotels - lended it to being considerably windier than other hotels we walked through (like the Occidental & Playa Linda). The wind seemed to whip through the opening between the Riu's 3 buildings. Of course, it kept us cooler - but everyday was a bad hair day!! Bring a hat!

Great week - only complaint was having to leave!!

Palm Beach, The Marriotts lazy river
    I was not aware they had timeshare units at the Riu,wasn't it just built a few years ago.How do you rent a timeshare I thought it was an all inclusive hotel????
    Last edited by sunworshipperII; 04-09-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Marriott Surf Club
    Its the old Aruba Grand Timeshare thats still on the property.

Any Aruba beach...
    I have some old photos of the Aruba Grand at

There was only one tower and the photos at the bottom of the page are the timeshare units which are directly on the beach. is a satellite aerial of the Aruba Grand