Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ken's long trip report

Divi Village, Druif Beach, Bunker Bar, Pelican Bar
    Walt, no we did not make it to Pure Lime. But, we checked out the process. For those of us not at the all inclusive, you can buy Pure Lime vouchers in the Divi lobby for $45. This covers a 3 course meal and 2 drinks. Reservations needed, no walk ins.

Divi Village, Druif Beach, Bunker Bar, Pelican Bar
    I forgot to put this in the original post - on 2 occasions there we observed a military vessel (probably destroyer or patrol boat) off Druif, flying the Netherlands flag. We asked some locals about this and they seemed it probably had to do with the Netherlands trying to help Aruba out with the Venezuelan illegal immigration issue. It didn't affect our vacation, but thought it was interesting.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba_Ken View Post
    I forgot to put this in the original post - on 2 occasions there we observed a military vessel (probably destroyer or patrol boat) off Druif, flying the Netherlands flag. We asked some locals about this and they seemed it probably had to do with the Netherlands trying to help Aruba out with the Venezuelan illegal immigration issue. It didn't affect our vacation, but thought it was interesting.
    There was just a few days ago an interesting article with a picture of the Dutch marines in Amigoe. Here is a small excerpt:

Netherlands security conference in Caribbean

Monday, February 1st, 2016

(Aruba / Aruba)

... Were emerging regional threats, synchronizing a regional strategy and regional efforts to combat illegal trade. Furthermore, the leaders talked about humanitarian aid, emergency aid......

http://www.amigoe.com

It seems very common that people from nearby islands or from Venezuela come by boat and bring goods like cheap gasoline or whiskey illegally to Aruba (not paying any import tax ect). It's as well a way to bring people illegally to Aruba. But the coastguard also assists if fishermen are in need of being rescued.

Here is an older article where you can see two photos with boats filled with illegally brought in goods:

http://www.diario.aw/2011/08/prohibi...augustus-2011/

I am thinking those destroyers would be a deterrent for illegals, drug smugglers or any other criminal passing thru, lol.

Aruba since 1979
    those are the dutch marines
    they have a permanent base in aruba
    they always are on patrol and training manuevers

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba_Ken View Post

Aruba since 1979
    Dutch Marines and their training
    check out this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12