Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Live from Aruba

Sounds all so good to us here in NJ Randi. Can't wait for my turn to enjoy the lazy beach days. A little more than 3 weeks, and then it's 12 days of nothing but beach,
    tranquility & happy hours!

Paul

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for sharing

the wind is/was indeed problematic!!

enjoy

An Aruban umpire friend sent me a picture of a light tower that was blown down at one of the baseball fields. It landed on and damaged a concession stand. Luckily no one was at the field at the time.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    We just got back Monday night and our last couple of days were pretty windy. Friday at Eagle beach was the worst and we had a couple of gusts on Manchebo Saturday that gave us a taste of that sandblasting sensation.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Thanks for sharing.. can't wait for my turn to go.
    Cathi

Yesterday was a little less windy but still a good strong wind. Nothing like the other day however, enough of a wind that “everyone” is discussing it. Feel bad for first timers as they will think this is the norm. Sun is shining, beach is beautiful (no music) and all is good in Aruba!

Walked over again to Scott’s Brats for DH to have a breakfast sandwich and I got a coffee from DD. We aren’t overly exciting as we enjoy laying on the beach, swimming in the ocean, talking to people (usually about timeshares, weather both Aruba and home, and where did you go for dinner last night) and reading.

We went to The Kitchen Table last night as we heard so many good things about it during our previous visit. Let me start off by saying the food was quite good, presentation excellent but overall not anywhere near the Carte Blanche standards. We arrived at the requested time of 6:30pm to sit at their rooftop terrace to watch the sunset. Not bad touch but don’t need to get their so early- 45 minutes is too long for this activity. We then proceed to the main dining area where there is a large prep table and then the oval table for 16 guests. The owners of this restaurant are the same as White Modern Cuisine so the presentation has the same beautiful touches. A lot of time is spent on the presentation and that does take some time between all the courses. To compare it to Carte Blanche (as it is a similar concept), there is no talking during all their prep time so it makes it long between courses. Once the food is plated and presented an explanation is given. it just didn't have that same warm feeling as CB. I also found that you didn't walk out with the same "wow" feeling.

Our table mate was staying at La Cabana and has been coming at this time period for 15 years. He told us that he goes to the beach at 4am to get his hut and sleeps on a stack of chairs until 7am when they are unlocked. I must say this makes the SC seem like paradise!!!

Today the wind has calmed down to what one would normally consider a regular windy day in Aruba. We went to the Marriott Destination points presentation to get our 20,000 Marriott Rewards poiints. The sales person was the best one we had in years but still not going to buy. I have found that there are a lot of people who are not happy with their purchase of Destination points. I was very upfront and said we had done 3 other presentations so we didn't need to know everything just go over what was new. Also felt it was only right to tell him we weren't planning on buying. Finished in our designated 90 mins and off to the beach. Since we spent our time at the presentation we decided to splurge and go to Dushi Bagels/Burgers and Burgers for lunch. We have never been there as we rarely eat out at lunch but found their hamburgers very good. Stayed out on at the beach until 6pm.

Dinner was at Quinas del Carmen. It was fantastic and just as I remembered it from December. I had been sending at least 6 ppl on the beach there. Luc says he is busy beyond what he expected. He is an amazing operator/owner and really knows how to run a restaurant. Staff is excellent, he is so personable and food is great. Ambiance is lovely and it was a wonderful evening. Food was top notch. This is a reall winner restaurant.
    Last edited by Randi; 03-12-2015 at 11:59 PM.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    "no talking during prep time"........so much for the whole socializiation part of this restaurant experience.

glad that you continue to enjoy

yes as far as lacabana goes there are many folks who choose to get out on the beach at 5 am and nap til the chairs/lounges are unlocked.
    if one wants a front row palapa, early pre dawn arrival is required.
    however back rows can be obtained later...all day actually

thanks for sharing!!!

The people talked but the chefs worked. I suggested they put up a mirror on the ceiling so ppl could see how they are preparing the food as that, imo, is the best part of the dinner.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I did forget to mention one thing different I noticed this trip...police! I have never seen so much police presence. The police on atv's go by about twice a day and police on jet skis in addition. Not sure what's up with that? Not sure if that is a good thing or not? None the less, it is different.

I definitely noticed the police presence last June. I saw them every time I turned around. I even commented that security around the resorts had been beefed up. I've always walked in the mornings and usually walked around the pool area of other resorts, but I was stopped last year at the Occidental because I wasn't "their" guest. I was actually headed to one of their gift shops and to get a drink at the bar but security was very hesitant about letting me go.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast