Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: March 6-20 Tamarijn

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Very sad news about the waiter who passed away. I hope the staff at Tam is able to cope with their loss.It is so nice to read your reports I can tell how much you love the Tam. I always think of you around St. Patty's day and wish I could be at Bunker Bar too! I am happy to hear about your ability to walk the beach as this is my favorite way to start my day. Enjoy and keep us updated.If you happen to walk past Divi could you please comment on any of the construction going on. Just wondering how the new bldg. is coming in front they are going to have 50 more rooms and remodeling lobby etc. Please do not make a special trip only if you happen to be in the area.Thanks and have fun!

Monday. Another wonderful day in Paradise although I wish the winds would back off slightly. Winds have been very strong since we arrived. I am enjoying WiFi this year and thus far our signal has been good. No issues. Extended our beach walking distance to approx 2 1/2 miles. The type of wave action has prohibited any sea glass hunting but know those opportunities will come. Returned from our walk to find Don a friend waiting. Don and Vangie purchased a home in Saventa 16 months back. Don lives here 2/3 of the yr and Vangie does 3 month stays then goes back to the states for same period. Don stays here for health reasons. Don indicated he couldn't pass up the opportunity to come over and speak English for a whole day. As we waited for anticipated arrivals, it was interesting to see the room shuffling taking place. Had heard the resort was booked 100+%. Guests that had checked in Sun were being moved to other rooms to make room for 15+ year visitors arriving today. Feel badly for those that had to moved but it is nice see the lengths the staff goes to accommodate the frequent visitor. We dined at the Red Parrot. I'd rate the meal good but nuot great and consider the service subpar. Mimi had grilled pork and I ricotta spinach ravioli. As I said, good not great. Most likely would order again. Was dark when we arrived so we could not see details of the construction ongoing at Divi. Some work being done on the entrance facade. Also a large area partitioned off between the pool and lobby. We were told this will be a new bar area. Made it another early evening and am happy to relate neither of us have had any ill effects from beach walks. Life truly is good!
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

When we go to the Red Parrot we always ask to be seated at one of Yaeldo's table. He is very attentive! Even though it's not listed as an appetizer, he always brings us the coconut fried shrimp to start, without us even asking! We're never rushed and he always brings us extra desserts. He used to work at the buffet, Pelican Terrace. One night at the Pelican, we skipped the desserts so he decided to go and get us something special and brought back desserts from the Red Parrot. Good to hear that the wifi is working for you. Hope the winds calm down!!

Aruba since 1979
    hooray for wifi

a former forum member her family always had issues with the wifi (as did many others)
    the husband works online daily (as do many of us) and he was dependent on that signal!
    glad it is working ok for you and your bride.

keep up those terrific walks!

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Did not realize sea glass could be found in our area. I would love to find some during my morning walks. Will have to pay closer attention this year. Thanks for the info on Divi construction.

Tuesday. Winds persisted all day. 25 mph with gusts to 30. Around 11:00 the red flags went. The surf was pounding all night and continues this morning. Lost more beach if that was possible. Did get a morning walk in however the return past Divi Divi was a sandstorm. Had some Boston friends come in today making their escape from smowmagedon. Had way too good of a time and ended up canceling our dinner reservation! Very sound sleep.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Aruba since 1979
    thanks!!

with the strong winds were you able to sit at the beach?
    (i do know no swimming due to high/rough seas)

continue to enjoy!!!

Wednesday. Skipped our morning beach walk and instead to a trip to Oranjestad. No cruise ships in port thus the town area was not congested. I missed going to town last year with my health my health issues. Really nice to see the improvents to building facades along the trolley streets. Appears to have been a concerted effort to clean-up the accumulated trash between builds. Great improvement. I remember years ago when it seemed like we went shopping every other day. Primary objective was to purchase perfume fragrances that our daughter cannot get at home.

Although the winds continue we are able to spend the day on the beach as here in the 1200 building, the winds is coming from the backside (street). In fact because we are shelter, at times the heat is stifling. Add to that high waves that only allow the bravest souls to enter the ocean, it gets hot. However, that's why we're here. Does seem odd with the resort at max capacity, the beach area is empty. Vacant palapas near us all day long. It does appear the quantity of palapas have been doubled in the 1100-1300 blocks.

Diner last evening at Parazzi was again very good. Staff was somewhat subduded as Maxwells funeral earlier today. Finished the evening around the pool watching/listening to karaoke. Commented to Mimi that I'm glad I don't drink THAT much anymore.��. Nothing planned for today other than more of the same.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Our vacation continues. Walking, ocean, beach and sun fill our days. Appears the surf along Druif Beach is finally starting to back off slightly. Have been able to spend considerable time in the ocean however vigilance is required during entry and exit. Had some old friends stop by. Their first visit in 5 yrs. They had figured if we were here, we'd be in 1201, and we were. Great visit. Enjoying our stay and are meeting several Wisconsites this afternoon to watch the Big Ten championship game. Life is good!
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

We're home now and I thought I'd provide a few general observations and comments. As is evident by my previous comments, our time on the island is very laid back and somewhat uneventful. This year I found that I was very content to just sit and enjoy the sights and sound of the ocean either from under the palapa or floating the ocean with our noodles.

I feel the need to comment on the quality of beef/fish served on the Tamarijn buffet. Both took a significant step up from prior years. At least 2 days the carving station had roast beef tenderloin that was 'succulent' and could be cut with a fork. One evening they had prime rib that was 'to die for'. Both were as good or better than our meal at Windows. I'm commenting because in prior years the carving station beef left something to be desired. Nice change for the better. Had both grouper and mahi mahi on the buffet and both were excellent. Most evening meals were at Ginger or Paparazzi. Ginger is by far our favorite and we had Tokyo Beef or Spicy Chicken many times. Nice when you've known the staff for many years and you're always seated at the same table. One of those little items that keep us returning. Although others raved about their meals, we never returned to Red Parrot. Perhaps next year. I think we're becoming creatures of habit.

It is amazing the number of guests that return year after year. Always a familiar friendly face to be found. Had 30+ just in 1100-1200 buildings and our guess is 80+ across the resort. If you need someone to have a cocktail with you won't need to look far.

As I previously mentioned, the staff was wonderful. Members of management stopped by several times to inquire how our stay was and if everything was to our satisfaction. Nice.

Would have liked the beach to be in better condition, however it did not hinder us from spending hours daily in the ocean.

Our departure was very smooth with 75 minutes from pick-up at Tamarijn to our gate. I suspect that's a record for us. Our flights to and from Aruba went well. We've become accustomed to first class and the perks. Our trip was capped off by exiting the airport in Green Bay Wisconsin to a warm spring shower. Those of you living in northern climates know the smell of a spring rain. Even though tired from traveling, that aroma gave us an adrenaline rush.

We now turn our sights to the Oct-Nov time period as we'll be spending a month in Australia/New Zeeland. Excited to say the least.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast