Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos!! on Renaissance Island

Mosquitos!! on Renaissance Island

Hi All! Back from another fabulous Aruban vacation (July 10-17). This time, we stayed at the Renaissance Ocean Suites, where we are owners, rather than LaCabana where we stayed the last 2 visits. Although the trip was outstanding, I wish we had stayed at LaCabana. The private island was infested with mosquitos like I have never seen before. Due to that rain they had prior (if you recall other posts about a thunderstorm and power outage around the 4th of July), the mosquito population was in full force. They posted a warning notice at the boat launch, but we were willing to give it a try anyway. Afterall, that is why we picked the Renaissance, for the private island.

Our first day in Aruba, we went to the island in the afternoon, following a rain shower. (This was by far the rainiest trip to Aruba. Not that it rained all week, or even entire days, but there was rain. Aruba weather is definitely changing.) At first the mosquitos didn't seem too bad, but soon enough, they started to get vicious, even when we were up to our necks in the water. (They bit our faces and heads!) The next day, we went back in the morning (hoping perhaps it would be better). It was not. We were with our kids, so we were on the family side of the island. I don't know if it was as bad on the adult side. It seemed that the only place you didn't get bitten, was in that shallow part (the sand bar), all the way to the left by the rocks.

After that, we got our rental car earlier than we had planned, and just drove to Eagle Beach. It is really where we wanted to be. I hadn't booked LaCabana to begin with because of their renovations. However, it didn't seem to be too disruptive to the LaCabana guests, and we spoke with 2 families who were enjoying their newly renovated room, and were quite happy there. Plus, that beach is hard to beat, and that is what you go for.

We still had a wonderful vacation! Our room was Marina side, so we enjoyed the live music coming from the restaurant next door. Had fun, too, people watching from the balcony when the show was over. It was great to be so convenient to the shops. My daughters and I, many times, walked around the shops. It was fun. My hubby did alot of beach fishing, having taken a lot of advice from this forum and caught a nice 16" fish. Enjoyed the Jolly Pirates Snorkel trip, and the jet skiing on Eagle Beach. My girls got their hair braided on Eagle Beach, which was new to me (never saw it done on the beach). The police came and said they weren't allowed to do it, but sure enough they continued on, and did my 2nd daughter the next day. Had a wonderful dinner at the Driftwood, which is our favorite! All in all, another wonderful trip. How quickly it went!

One last thing, we flew American and I am happy (and relieved) to say, we had 2 great flights. Can't wait to go back!

Aruba since 1979
    sorry to hear of the mosquitos.
    what a pain in the bum!!!

thank you for submitting your story.
    many of us love to live vicariously thru other's trips.

andrea

we were ther the 12th-19th and at times the mosquitos were viscious. i get eaten alive..hubby and son, not so much. glad i listened to everyone and brought bug spray!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Float View Post
    Hi All! Back from another fabulous Aruban vacation (July 10-17). This time, we stayed at the Renaissance Ocean Suites, where we are owners, rather than LaCabana where we stayed the last 2 visits. Although the trip was outstanding, I wish we had stayed at LaCabana. The private island was infested with mosquitos like I have never seen before. Due to that rain they had prior (if you recall other posts about a thunderstorm and power outage around the 4th of July), the mosquito population was in full force. They posted a warning notice at the boat launch, but we were willing to give it a try anyway. Afterall, that is why we picked the Renaissance, for the private island.

Our first day in Aruba, we went to the island in the afternoon, following a rain shower. (This was by far the rainiest trip to Aruba. Not that it rained all week, or even entire days, but there was rain. Aruba weather is definitely changing.) At first the mosquitos didn't seem too bad, but soon enough, they started to get vicious, even when we were up to our necks in the water. (They bit our faces and heads!) The next day, we went back in the morning (hoping perhaps it would be better). It was not. We were with our kids, so we were on the family side of the island. I don't know if it was as bad on the adult side. It seemed that the only place you didn't get bitten, was in that shallow part (the sand bar), all the way to the left by the rocks.

go back!
    Ugh...been there a dozen or so years in a row....never had a mosquito problem. I wonder if it's a seasonal thing due to wind as well as rain? We've only been there in December, January and April.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Marandis Bingoes Marriott Surf Club Lazy River
    They seem to be a "growing" problem this time of year. Itry to get to Aruba NOvember and August. It has become increasingly humid in August and with all the building they are not considering drainage to be an issue. It is and that is why the mosquitoes are in full force, way too much ponding after a rainfall.
    Eileen[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Very annoying...

I've saw "some" mosquitoes on the private island on a few occasions but I never heard of such an infestation on the private island nor a warning notice about it.
    Must have been a severe problem. Sometimes when all the contributing factors are at their peak and at the same times I supposed we can see this...
    Personally I wouldn't avoid choosing the Renaissance resort for such a rare but itchy possibility...

Banned
    We were in aruba July 1-16 - for all of the rain and the power outage. I think all of the standing water has drawn the mosquitos to the island - especially with more rainfall the last few years. We experienced the same problem last year- every time we ate outside - I got bit. This year we armed ourselves with bugspray every time we went out. Even that didnt work all that well.

Ouch! I can't believe they're biting your face while you're in the water. I bought a travel pack of 20 bug wipes for our trip (will be there next Tuesday), but I guess I should get some more. Should I invest in a SPF / Bug Repellant? My hubby and I plan on living in the water!

Aruba since 1979
    2 things that work well

1. bounce or any kind of fabric softener sheet. Rub it on and it acts as insect repellent.
    2. there is a product out there (and i cannot find mine) that you clip on to your chair or your pocket and it repels mosquitos. i had been using mine at camp runamuck where it is loaded with mosquitos.

You definitely need something that is waterproof, and can be used on your face. They also bite your head through your hair, so if you wear a hat on the beach you can spray your hat with "Off."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast