Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos!! on Renaissance Island

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    2 things that work well

1. bounce or any kind of fabric softener sheet. Rub it on and it acts as insect repellent.
    2. there is a product out there (and i cannot find mine) that you clip on to your chair or your pocket and it repels mosquitos. i had been using mine at camp runamuck where it is loaded with mosquitos.
    Have you actually tried bunce to repel? According to snopes, it attracts the critters.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/bounce.asp

Fabric sheets softners are not and by far as effective as real bugs repellent sheets...
    They sure can be used if nothing else is available...(better then nothing)

But I think it wouldn't be wise to bring them instead of real bug repellent.
    It's not only the itching you're preventing but serious sickness as well...

Scientific testing has proven that Vic's Vaporub, Bounce dryer sheets, vitamin B, and bananas do not chase mosquitoes away. Any oil-based product, such as the popular Skin-So-Soft from Avon does work, but testing shows it only lasts for a few minutes.

So, the experts say anything with deet or picaridin is still the best repellent for biting mosquitoes. But, be careful around babies and don't put it on your pets.

Also since mosquitoes lifespan is around 2-4 weeks it would be wise to bring bugs repellent for the next month...

Worst before rubbing bounce in your face think about the list of just some of the chemicals found in fabric softeners and dryer sheets:

* Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer

* Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant

* Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders

* Limonene: Known carcinogen

* A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage

* Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list

* Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders

* Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic

* Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders

* Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled

The only reason I can think as to why the mosquitoes would avoid the Bounce sheet is because they are aware of of the ingredients list...
    Last edited by qlaval; 07-23-2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Pierre

I second Andrea by saying that bounce does a wonderful job. My brother-in-law owns a landscaping company and he rubs the bounce on him daily and carries it in his pocket. I never heard of such a thing but tried it and it was wonderful!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We had a outdoor party the other nite and passed around my box of bounce at the table.
    We all smelled wonderful and the nasty misquitos did stay away.
    Can you just picture us on the private island putting on sunscreen and they rubbing bounce all over us...yuck, LOL...cindyo

12 trips to Aruba and Ren island and I have never had an problems. I think it has to do with my balashi and rum punch intake. This has been an ongoing study for me for many years and it has been proven effective. Try it, it works!

Aruba since 1979
    i use the fabric softener sheets.
    they work for paul and me.

paul and i shared a bounce sheet today...........we went fishing from the banks in our backyard after the rain stopped. we smelled mahvelous.

caught 2 bass and 1 trout, all too small and tossed them back..................BUT we did not get one bug bite.

in fact the fabric sheets i use are not bounce.....they are the walmart brand.

Aruba since 1979
    where have you been mark?
    Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
    12 trips to Aruba and Ren island and I have never had an problems. I think it has to do with my balashi and rum punch intake. This has been an ongoing study for me for many years and it has been proven effective. Try it, it works!

i use the fabric softener sheets.
    they work for paul and me.

paul and i shared a bounce sheet today...........we went fishing from the banks in our backyard after the rain stopped. we smelled mahvelous.

caught 2 bass and 1 trout, all too small and tossed them back..................BUT we did not get one bug bite.

in fact the fabric sheets i use are not bounce.....they are the walmart brand.
    Was there a lot of mosquitoes Andrea?

My and my wife are going fishing as well this coming week, up north (in the land of black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies...) yes all four... Forecast for all those bugs? (High:Elevated bug activity)

I think I will ask my wife for a test...
    She will have fabrics sheets in her pocket and around her neck and me some DEET spray...
    Ummm... but knowing her if there's a test it will be to other way around...

Do you want a video of that?....

Searching the internet showed (surprisingly for me) tremendous good reviews for the fabrics sheets repellent ability so I have to admit that there must be some good to them.

Do some of you know the difference between DEET and Picaridin?

The DEET have a repellent effect compare to the Picaridin that gave you an invisibility power. You could have a mosquito on your arm and he wouldn't bite because he don't you're there. (in his tiny head he might as well be on a leaf...)

Aruba since 1979
    i want the video!!!

there were a fair amount of mosquitos at the river's edge.
    100 yds away on our farmer's porch-none!

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Was there a lot of mosquitoes Andrea?

My and my wife are going fishing as well this coming week, up north (in the land of black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies...) yes all four... Forecast for all those bugs? (High:Elevated bug activity)

I think I will ask my wife for a test...
    She will have fabrics sheets in her pocket and around her neck and me some DEET spray...
    Ummm... but knowing her if there's a test it will be to other way around...

Do you want a video of that?....

Searching the internet showed (surprisingly for me) tremendous good reviews for the fabrics sheets repellent ability so I have to admit that there must be some good to them.

Do some of you know the difference between DEET and Picaridin?

The DEET have a repellent effect compare to the Picaridin that gave you an invisibility power. You could have a mosquito on your arm and he wouldn't bite because he don't you're there. (in his tiny head he might as well be on a leaf...)

where have you been mark?
    Summer.....2 kids....b-day parties.....weddings.....fishing tourneys....my calendar is still busy through August.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast