Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My Long Aruba Trip Report

Moomba Beach, Eagle Beach - just about anywhere I can wiggle my toes in the sand and enjoy an ice cold Bright
    Thanks for such a detailed trip report. It's nice to read a first time visitor's view of the island. I hope you are able to find your way back to Aruba someday. . . safe travels.

Smile

izzydoesit, I think it depends on who you deal with at Aruba Happy Rentals. My experience with Geraldine was great. When I arrived at the villa, all the pots and pans were old scratched up TFal with the coating flaking off. I requested for one stainless steel pot and one stainless steel frying pan. She sent over a brand new set the next day. I had a feeling that if I didn't email her specifically, I might not get service that quick.

There were stuff not taken care of at the villa, but those didn't really bother us. Eg. the safe was not working (so we didn't use it. Anyway we read in reports about break ins that the safes were always ripped off the wall...that's the most dangerous place to place your cash and credit cards anyway), the balcony door lock of the master bedroom was broken (we kept it shut with a broom stick). The one thing that bothered me was that there were no window coverings for all the bathrooms (and two of them faced the street) - we used the blue rain ponchos that we brought and taped them on the windows.

But then I still had a good overall experience I would say.

Traceyd14, stand up paddling was fun and a great work out. Balancing was difficult at first for my friends, but I had no problem at my first try without training. The trickiest part was the current which kept pulling my board out from shore which I didn't feel comfortable with. So I sat on the board and kind of kayaked it close to shore, and pointing the board towards the shore before standing up again to paddle.

One point to remember, there are two shacks that rent out SUPS. We went to the wrong one (the one further north). They specialized more on kite surfing and all the kite surfers were around us. Their area was also choppier. Make sure you go to the shack to the south ( I read about it on the internet and meant to go to that one - operated by Jereme). My friends went back for a second time to the shack to the south, and they said the boards were better, the water was calmer, no kite surfers all around them, and got free instruction from Jereme.

Quote Originally Posted by isimpo View Post
    Traceyd14, stand up paddling was fun and a great work out. Balancing was difficult at first for my friends, but I had no problem at my first try without training. The trickiest part was the current which kept pulling my board out from shore which I didn't feel comfortable with. So I sat on the board and kind of kayaked it close to shore, and pointing the board towards the shore before standing up again to paddle.

One point to remember, there are two shacks that rent out SUPS. We went to the wrong one (the one further north). They specialized more on kite surfing and all the kite surfers were around us. Their area was also choppier. Make sure you go to the shack to the south ( I read about it on the internet and meant to go to that one - operated by Jereme). My friends went back for a second time to the shack to the south, and they said the boards were better, the water was calmer, no kite surfers all around them, and got free instruction from Jereme.
    Thanks - I will be sure to post about if we try it.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    with no working safe, how did you secure your valuables?

izzydoesit, I think it depends on who you deal with at Aruba Happy Rentals. My experience with Geraldine was great. When I arrived at the villa, all the pots and pans were old scratched up TFal with the coating flaking off. I requested for one stainless steel pot and one stainless steel frying pan. She sent over a brand new set the next day. I had a feeling that if I didn't email her specifically, I might not get service that quick.

There were stuff not taken care of at the villa, but those didn't really bother us. Eg. the safe was not working (so we didn't use it. Anyway we read in reports about break ins that the safes were always ripped off the wall...that's the most dangerous place to place your cash and credit cards anyway), the balcony door lock of the master bedroom was broken (we kept it shut with a broom stick). The one thing that bothered me was that there were no window coverings for all the bathrooms (and two of them faced the street) - we used the blue rain ponchos that we brought and taped them on the windows.

But then I still had a good overall experience I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    with no working safe, how did you secure your valuables?
    After reading all the posts on house burglaries, we found the safe the least secure place to put our valuables. We usually carried our passports, credit cards and cash with us in a waterproof bag around my husband's neck. He was my portable safe Being a poor swimmer and previous drowning victim, he didn't like swimming at the beaches, so he usually looked after our stuff. When he did venture out at Baby Beach, our friends watched our stuff.

We didn't bring any jewellery, and we brought our older cell phones. My husband did bring his brand new laptop which had no personal data on it. He didn't mind losing it since he said he could claim it back from insurance.

Also from reading the burglary reports, the thieves were never interested in the passports, so I sometimes left my passport at the house

I could taste the grouper from here!
    For a first timer you did it right!
    Your trip report embraced your visit and carried me across the sand with you!
    I'm giddy waiting for our departure in under 3 weeks.

Just don't let all that good Aruba wear off too fast and the states come crashing back down on you!

Aruba since 1979
    husbands.........our portable safes!!

thanks
    After reading all the posts on house burglaries, we found the safe the least secure place to put our valuables. We usually carried our passports, credit cards and cash with us in a waterproof bag around my husband's neck. He was my portable safe Being a poor swimmer and previous drowning victim, he didn't like swimming at the beaches, so he usually looked after our stuff. When he did venture out at Baby Beach, our friends watched our stuff.

We didn't bring any jewellery, and we brought our older cell phones. My husband did bring his brand new laptop which had no personal data on it. He didn't mind losing it since he said he could claim it back from insurance.

Also from reading the burglary reports, the thieves were never interested in the passports, so I sometimes left my passport at the house

Great Report, we also spent time under the same Divi Tree...lol

Of course we had to check out Palm Beach. We tried beach tennis and rented chairs at Moomba's. It was a great afternoon, but I wasn't impressed with the sand at Palm Beach.
    How much did they charge for the chaises? Do they have umbrellas for shade?

We have found sand all over the island gets a little icky unless it is cleaned/sifted on a regular basis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast