Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My most recent trip to Aruba report 8/15-8/20

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    If I were the Prince of Aruba or whoever is in charge or has the authority, I'd pull the plug on negative things from the US.(or anywhere)
    Unfortunately if that were the case then it would be a police state like you mentioned above in #8 that you are trying to get away from.
    8) Not a police state like the US. You actually have to do something significant to have the police and or government involved in your life in Aruba. IMO, that's the way it should be.

FWIW, I agree wholeheartedly about your comments regarding the direction the U.S. is going in and if one had the finances it is perhaps time to look elsewhere.
    I too would like to see "the Aruban police decide to make combating theft a high priority".

BTW, what is the police priority now?

Well, I've been reading this and your other threads with great interest. First congratulations vincep on your purchase, you put a lot of time and research into it. Second, at the risk of being labeled a troll or worse, I for one would like the bashing of the San Nicolas area to stop. We all respect your opinions, but it seems to me that you are looking for anyone to say something against those opinions for the purpose of argument. Those of us that participate in this forum love Aruba and its people, weather, restaurants and different cities. So someone offered you drugs or sex. Big deal, it happens more than most want it to, but it happens. Get over it. Go to Aruba often and enjoy your new condo, stay away from the areas you don't care for and frequent the ones you do. Please share with us your experiences, good or bad and ask for advice often. It's what we live for. Everyone, I apologize, but had to get on the soapbox for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Well, I've been reading this and your other threads with great interest. First congratulations vincep on your purchase, you put a lot of time and research into it.
    Thank you. Yes I have put a lot of time and research into buying property outside the US. I have already transferred the majority of my assets overseas.

Second, at the risk of being labeled a troll or worse, I for one would like the bashing of the San Nicolas area to stop. We all respect your opinions, but it seems to me that you are looking for anyone to say something against those opinions for the purpose of argument.
    That couldn't be further from the truth. I am just reporting what I had experienced and what others on the Island had told me. You can't honestly tell me that the San Nicolas area is the safest area in Aruba? I'm not saying that it's that unsafe. I haven't made that determination until I visit there a few more times and talk to more people. Why do most tourists frequent and buy property on the other side of the island? There are properties listed on realtor websites in and near San Nicolas that are dirt cheap. Why wouldn't foreign investors snatch them up? It makes you think.

Those of us that participate in this forum love Aruba and its people, weather, restaurants and different cities.
    I can see that and I meant no offense.

So someone offered you drugs or sex. Big deal, it happens more than most want it to, but it happens. Get over it.
    It's not a big deal to me. I'm a adult who's been in the Army and traveled to MANY places around the world. I have seen FAR worse. That being said, prostitutes and drug dealers standing on the corner is not an indication that one is in the best and or safest neighborhood. That is consistent throughout the world; even in places where prostitution and drugs are legal and or decriminalized. What if some family goes there with young children? Do they really need to be seeing that?

If you're an adult and want to score some weed (and or other drugs) and get a cheap hooker; San Nicolas (by Charlies Bar) is the place for you. At least they are regulated by the government; so that does lessen one's chances of getting a STD. Also, being legal and regulated, does take some of the criminal element out of it I suppose.

Go to Aruba often and enjoy your new condo, stay away from the areas you don't care for and frequent the ones you do. Please share with us your experiences, good or bad and ask for advice often. It's what we live for.
    That's the plan.

I'm sorry my post has upset you. It was my intention to inform and not to cause upset.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.

I found the business cards for the rental company and cigar shops.

Value Car Rental
    koyari 30C, Noord
    www.valuearuba.com

Ruba Reggae
    Werf Straat #7
    Across from the Bus Station
    Oranjestad.
    297 583-6895
    Inexpensive Cuban Cigars
    $13.00 and up.

Benillo Cigars
    Arawek Garden
    Next to Salt in Pepper
    Near Sopranos Restaurant.
    297 586 3555

More Inexpensive Cuban Cigars
    $5.00 and up for full size. 2 for $3 mini cigars.

Aruba since 1979
    how many units are in the condo complex?
    is there a pool?
    is it in the area near Cafe' Capri? Amadeus Restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    how many units are in the condo complex?
    is there a pool?
    is it in the area near Cafe' Capri? Amadeus Restaurant?

There are 13 units in the complex and there is a small in ground pool.

Villas Del Mar

I'm not familiar with that restaurant but I can tell you it's close to NAPA Auto Parts and Do it Center on 2a/2b between Hato and Bubali

You can look at its location using Google Maps

Matadera 3M, Noord

For some reason, 3M Matadera won't pull up on Google Maps but you can look at 3E which is a few doors down.

https://maps.google.com/

Unit 8

BTW unit 8 is NOT 360 SQFT. That's a misprint. It's 340 SQFT like the one I stayed in.

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/property?propertyId=281687189&mode=detail&brandTyp e=CB

http://www.coldwellbanker.aw/listing...nit-8-948.html

They have a map on the local website that shows the exact location of units 1 and 8

Unit 1

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/proper...l&brandType=CB

Unit 2 is for sale too. That's the one I stayed in

http://www.arubahomeminders.com/inde...operties&id=20

There is another unit for sale by owner but I don't remember which one. The caretaker told me about that one.

You can probably get Unit 1 for somewhere in the mid 90's; maybe less. The owners have it listed way too high. Even the realtors and the caretaker agrees. While it's fixed up very nice and does have a bigger living area, it wasn't worth the extra 30-35k to me.

Unit 8 is too much, IMO, also. It's worth around 80k; tops. You may be able to get it for that price.(or less) I didn't even bid on it because that one didn't interest me. That's a new listing (2 weeks ago) BTW.

Unit 2 is the one I stayed in. Its pretty nice, has hot water, and is slightly larger(in the bedroom) than the unit I bought; which makes the room 1ft wider. It's not usable space but gives the room a bigger "feel". It doesn't have an oven but the one I bought has one(gas) with 4 burners. This one has a 2 electric burner stove top. Other than that, they are pretty much identical. Except for the one I bought has no hot water. The kitchen/living room are EXACTLY the same dimensions and layout.

The owner is one of the realtors who owns Aruba Home Minders.

She's asking 89k and will probably come down to the mid to low 80's.

The unit I bought and number 2 have a "nice" king size bed. Unit 1 has a queen size bed; which gives the illusion that the room is bigger.

I like the king size bed You can fit 3 people in it.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Great unit for retired snowbirds.

Aruba since 1979
    my husband and i have visited the place about 9 years ago when it was brand spanking new.
    a friend was looking for a condo and ended up buying at oceania.
    we have an aquainance at the nearby fire station, he lives in your neighborhood so we are familiar with the neighborhood.
    not too far from your new place is Cafe' Capri and Amadeus Restaurant.

as lisa says, a good place for snowbirds.

is the parking area secure? walled in/fenced in?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

is the parking area secure? walled in/fenced in?
    No. But why would you need it to be? The best thing to do is don't leave valuables in your car and leave the doors unlocked. That's what I did with the rental. I even left the windows cracked open in the day.

There are cameras out front and the parking lot is well lit at night.

The biggest thing you have to worry about are the dogs and they only bother you when you walk past where they live.(down the block) There is actually a nice dog that hangs out in front.(sometimes) He is totally friendly and wags his tail. I pet him several times.

No one is going to rob you when you get out of your car.

The complex is totally secure. There is the caretaker/security person who lives in the unit on top overseeing the parking lot and entire courtyard. They have cameras out front and the outer wall is wired with motion detectors and other alarms(ADP) which makes noise etc.

I would feel totally safe hanging out in the courtyard at 2am.

As an owner, you belong to the condo association and have a say in whatever goes on. If everyone wanted to, they could hire a security guard but the condo fees would go up to pay for it.

It would be cheaper to get some dogs and feed them; like the ones that came at me up the street.

Also you can do whatever you want to the condo inside and in your private patio out back. You can close it in and have another room or add your own alarm if you wanted to.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-30-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Great unit for retired snowbirds.
    That's what the description says and it's true.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast