Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My most recent trip to Aruba report 8/15-8/20

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    I don't think they are likely to steal the car;rather the contents. Cars are very hard to steal nowadays with the chip in the keys etc. This is why car thieves started car jacking people. Leaving the car unlocked ensures that they don't damage the vehicle to get in. Also it shows them that there is nothing to steal. Also if there is any issue with the insurance company, they have to prove you left it unlocked. How do they know they didn't gain entry with a duplicate key or slim jim and not leave marks?
    I always rented a car for the entire time I was on Aruba and never had a problem. I never leave anything in the car (only in the trunk for a short time) and I always lock the car. Usually, there is a radio in the rental car, one more reason for me to lock it. In short, I just feel uneasy to leave a car unlocked. But I don't really know the answer what would be the best way to go. What I read on the link I provided earlier:

Car theft, especially of rental vehicles for joy riding and stripping, can occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles, jet skis, and other items.

And here is a link to the same subject ~ lock or unlock your car on Aruba. More food for thoughts:

http://bb.visitaruba.com/f57/car-bre...e-beach-15344/

Do be aware when using Google Maps some places are mislabeled or just in the WRONG place. In other words it is not perfect.

One example (and there are others) -- the Holiday Inn smack dab in the middle of the parking lot across from the Tamarijn.

That is fine if you are familiar the island, but if you are new to the island...well so much for factual info.

Believe me I have tried on multiple occasions to suggest to the google map moderators that it is the wrong location and they don't want to hear it. Websites such as gomapper then use the google overlays for THEIR maps. So just be careful folks.
    My most recent trip to Aruba report 8/15-8/20-capture1.jpg

CK1
    Thanks for bringing Daniel Putkowski up, I always enjoy his posts and his blog. He is such a nice and friendly guy and a great source for so much info and hidden gems on Aruba!

I think, his motto is: Breath, relax and live a little!~

Here is the link to his blog:

http://bentpage.net/tag/aruba/

And his facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DanielPutkowski

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBunches View Post
    Thank you for your trip report. One of the forum members has written several books. While all of them mention Aruba in some way, two of them are set in Aruba. I highly recommend them for your reading pleasure. While they are fiction, two are based on the reality of San Nicolas and the legality of prostitution. The other is the author's (again, fictionalized) account of a recent high-profile crime. These books are widely available on-island, as well as in the US.

An Island Away
    Under A Blue Flag
    Dark Currents

By Daniel Putkowski

CK1
    Oops, double-post. Sorry!
    Last edited by CK1; 08-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I always rented a car for the entire time I was on Aruba and never had a problem. I never leave anything in the car (only in the trunk for a short time) and I always lock the car. Usually, there is a radio in the rental car, one more reason for me to lock it. In short, I just feel uneasy to leave a car unlocked. But I don't really know the answer what would be the best way to go. What I read on the link I provided earlier:

Car theft, especially of rental vehicles for joy riding and stripping, can occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles, jet skis, and other items.

And here is a link to the same subject ~ lock or unlock your car on Aruba. More food for thoughts:

http://bb.visitaruba.com/f57/car-bre...e-beach-15344/
    Below is a cut an paste from the link you posted. Charles is also a member here and being a resident of Aruba is in the know. I'm with Charles.

"Aruba as well as the rest of the planet is undergoing horrid times and the kind of "break-in" crime mentioned will increase for sure. No excuses - just harsh reality.

What I (as a local) do regarding my car.

I never leave anything of value in it.
    I never lock the doors
    I try to leave the windows down
    I park in obvious places and not try to hide the car from the sun etc.
    I am insured

It works for me.

So far - no problems.

be well
    charles "

That post was made back in 2005 and things have undoubtedly gotten worse since then.

If someone wants to break in your car, for what ever reason, they are going to and the car lock will NOT stop them. They are carrying tools.
    Last edited by vincep; 08-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.

CK1
    And on the same link are people who have a different opinion/experience.
    I guess everyone has just to do what they think works best for them.

Btw, my first trip to Aruba was in 2006. I traveled by myself each time and was very active during my vacation, discovering many places, doing lots of sightseeing. I'm a petite female. The entire time, I felt very safe on Aruba. I'm cautious and well aware about my surroundings. To be honest: Aruba is much safer than where I live here in Texas.

CK1
    Thanks for pointing that out. I just checked on "Google Earth" and that mistake is corrected. However, that Google Earth version of Aruba seems to be from 2008, at least, that year popped up when I checked the Aruba map.

As I LOVE maps, I looked up one of my favorite areas: Palm Beach. There were still the Fishermen's Huts the way I remembered them. No sign of a Ritz. And the street leading to the California Lighthouse still in it's original shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Do be aware when using Google Maps some places are mislabeled or just in the WRONG place. In other words it is not perfect.

One example (and there are others) -- the Holiday Inn smack dab in the middle of the parking lot across from the Tamarijn.

That is fine if you are familiar the island, but if you are new to the island...well so much for factual info.

Believe me I have tried on multiple occasions to suggest to the google map moderators that it is the wrong location and they don't want to hear it. Websites such as gomapper then use the google overlays for THEIR maps. So just be careful folks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	2662

CK1
    Thanks. That is a feature I didn't realize about Google Maps. Although it only seems to work with Noord.

Anyway, according to Google Maps, my condo is technically in Noord. Noord is supposed to be the "better" or more affluent part of Aruba. Although the reality is that I would categorize the neighborhood where my property is and surrounding area, as middle class. Not upper or lower, just middle class. Noord by the lighthouse, is upper middle class or wealthy. Further south(near the run down part of Oranjestad) and east towards Santa Cruz and SN is lower middle class and poor.
    I looked up some real estate in Aruba and came across some stunning beautiful homes, some are very traditional, built in a very solid way to last for generations, some of them are those "canuka" homes (country homes). Some of those homes are in Noord or Oranjestad but also in Savaneta. In fact, one of the most beautiful homes, a mansion (I would almost call it a castle) is located in Savaneta for the "bargain price" of US$ 1,250,000!

Here is the link if you you are interested (I love architecture!). If you click on "Read more", most of the time more pictures are provided and a google map with the location of the property. You will find the most expensive properties at the end of the link:

http://arubapalmsrealtors.com/index....d=5&Itemid=102

I came also across a very beautiful canuka home located in San Nicolas. It's a real gem and the yard, pool, landscaping as well as the interior of the home are just lovely! I believe it's one of those homes from the time when the Valero Oil Refinery was still in tact and Savaneto as well as San Nicholas were blossoming. That was in the 60s, the Refinery was closed in 1985, if I remember correctly. That is what I'm reminded of when I drive into that area. It has this nostalgic touch from that era which I find charming. JMO.

Here is the link, please click on "Photos" to see the beauty:

http://www.casnan.com/index.php/for-...4#.Uhw6zJwtris

And a google map of that area:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Aruba...en&sa=N&tab=wl

Aruba since 1979
    i was just given a gentle private message that we, have gotten off topic on this thread.
    hahaha
    i am not sure that we have.
    but, let's leave it that if we want to show some real estate let's begin a new thread in the "moving to aruba" section.

that being said........i love that house in san nic.
    how lovely is that!!!?

so, moving forward, the topic is vincep's aruba story.
    let's bring the real estate to "moving to aruba"
    and car rental tips to "getting around aruba"

or not.

I don't think they are likely to steal the car;rather the contents. Cars are very hard to steal nowadays with the chip in the keys etc. This is why car thieves started car jacking people. Leaving the car unlocked ensures that they don't damage the vehicle to get in. Also it shows them that there is nothing to steal. Also if there is any issue with the insurance company, they have to prove you left it unlocked. How do they know they didn't gain entry with a duplicate key or slim jim and not leave marks?
    Car theft is very common on the island (they steal them for the parts) - especially the Yaris rental cars which do not have chips, are very basic, and very easy to steal. A couple of years ago, I had my rental car parked in the hotel parking lot - it was locked and there was absolutely nothing of value in the car (we never leave anything in the car even when we're out and about during the day). At around 2am the security guards heard a crash - by the time they got to my car they found my back side window was broken and there was a guy in the middle of hot-wiring the car through the steering column. Luckily, they got there in time so the car was not stolen but there was $800 damage to the car (broken window and damage to the steering column.) I rented with my AMEX CC and they covered everything and reimbursed the car rental agency without any issues.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast