Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: My trip 5/15 to 5/22

CK1, I think we stopped bye this cemetary before or after the Alto Vista Church. I don't remember. Bully mentioned that the majority of the Aruban population is Catholic I believe he quotes 89% or low 90%. The Catholic Cemetary is the largest but they have a Jewish Cemetary and a Protestant Cemetary as well that he mentioned.

It sounds kind of creepy to mention this but I was told only 4 caskets fit in the little cemetary houses. I think you can see the slots or opening from the pictures. It was mentioned that once the body decomposes to only bones, the casket is removed and the bones are sent through a pipe. I forgot to ask more questions about that. I guess I was freak out a little when it was being explained. So I'm not sure if this is some pipe that scoops up the bones and don't know where it goes. He said this was tradition because the cemetary gets full and you have to make room for more people. Also it is against the Catholic religion or their tradition to cremate but that may change over time. There is a lot of unsued land on the other side which to me would be ideal.

A Few More Pics

I believe Bully called this area the 3 bridges..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2421.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2422.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2423.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2424.jpg  

My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2425.jpg  

More Photos Of Excurstion With Bully

Andrea should of never taught me the advance features. Now I can't stop posting pictures! LOL. I really had a great time with Bully's tour. Not only the sights but he has a lot of knowledge and history of the island. His van was air condition too which is important when on the other side which is like a dessert and very little wind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2426.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2427.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2428.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2429.jpg  

My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2430.jpg  

Tour Pictures

A lot of Cactus but no tequila refinery. They used the cactus as an added protection around their fence to their houses. Some cave drawings by the rock formations. These were done by Arawak Indians who came to Aruba from Venezuela which I believe is 19 miles from Aruba?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2431.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2432.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2433.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2434.jpg  

My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2435.jpg  

Excursion Pictures

And more. Maybe I will post a few more later if I haven't bored anybody yet. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2437.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2438.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2439.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2440.jpg  

My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2441.jpg  

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    CK1, I think we stopped bye this cemetary before or after the Alto Vista Church. I don't remember. Bully mentioned that the majority of the Aruban population is Catholic I believe he quotes 89% or low 90%. The Catholic Cemetary is the largest but they have a Jewish Cemetary and a Protestant Cemetary as well that he mentioned.

It sounds kind of creepy to mention this but I was told only 4 caskets fit in the little cemetary houses. I think you can see the slots or opening from the pictures. It was mentioned that once the body decomposes to only bones, the casket is removed and the bones are sent through a pipe. I forgot to ask more questions about that. I guess I was freak out a little when it was being explained. So I'm not sure if this is some pipe that scoops up the bones and don't know where it goes. He said this was tradition because the cemetary gets full and you have to make room for more people. Also it is against the Catholic religion or their tradition to cremate but that may change over time. There is a lot of unsued land on the other side which to me would be ideal.
    Thanks for that info, ace2063. It's quite interesting and it remains me of some of the traditions were I grew up (in Germany). I'm Catholic as well and cremations would not be allowed, but it's changing. In Aruba, cremations are now legal as of January 1, 2013 (I just read it). It's also similar that a grave will only remain a certain time, I believe 20 or 25 years but it could be extended if the family paid a certain fee, then the bones would be removed and stored in a certain place (in Austria, there are even "bone houses" next to a cemetery where the bones can be seen). It's because cemeteries are limited in space. Many times I noticed that cemeteries are close to the church and usually at a very nice area, like a hill side, a really beautiful place for an "eternal resting place". I like that thought.

In the past, I believe, it was also a tradition to keep family who had passed away, close, by going often to the cemeteries and by having cemeteries close by. When I was a child, my mom took me many times to the cemetery after the day's work was done to water the flowers on the grave of her mom. But it was not a choir, it was for nice going there, being relaxed and sometimes bump into other people and have a little chat, kind of a social meeting place. I have nice memories of those times. The tombstones were also very beautiful, some had large sculptured angels or other ornaments, some were over a century old, just gorgeous art work.

Here is a little excerpt, it's interesting that there are actually 6 cemeteries in Aruba.

Cemeteries
    After visiting three of Aruba’s six cemeteries, one noticeable attribute is that all casketed and cremated remains are entombed in Mausoleums, do to occasional flooding, interments (burials in the ground) are not common practices.

https://ferrarifh.wordpress.com/2013...ions-in-aruba/

I never tire of looking at people's photos. I have hundreds of my own. The one photo I wish I had taken was of a group of goats playing near the spot where people pile up the rocks.

Aruba since 1979
    i am copying and posting the photos into the "my photos and videos" section too.
    ace if you have more photos to post, post them here and i will copy them to the other thread as well

glad that you became so very proficient!!!

Excurtion Pictures

CK1 thanks for the interesting article.

Here are some pictures from the Natural Bridge which I'm sure we've all visited at one time or another. I first visited it in the 90s and as you all probably know it has erroded over time. There were people climbing and walking on it despite the warning sign. Bully warned me not to climb up because you never know it can fall at any time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2442.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2443.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2444.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2445.jpg  

My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2446.jpg  

Excursion Pictures

I included the area where they pile up the rocks. Bully said this started with 1 tourist who piled up the rocks and made a wish. Over time other tourist followed in his foot steps. I asked Bully if he knew what that 1st tourist wished for? He said they all wished for the same thing, which is to return to Aruba. Ha ha ha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2448.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2449.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2450.jpg   My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2451.jpg  

My trip 5/15 to 5/22-img_2452.jpg  

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast