Aruba Beach

Thread: My Trip...

My Trip...

Arrived on Aruba Aug. 24th for my dw birthday with our daughter. Everyone at the Radisson was surprized to see us, since we were only there in July. First nite dinner was at MJ's, and it was great.
    We kept an eye on huricane Irene and what was going on there. That nite we had dinner at the hotel since our daughter wasn't feeling good.
    On Friday the talk was all about Irene, and what was going to happen to the flights leaving Sat and Sun. Went to the Screaming Eagle for dinner, I got an email Friday nite that my Sunday flight was cancelled. Oh boy......well come Sat morning everyone is in the lobby and on the phone trying to get thru to their airlines, with no luck, one guy told me that he was on the phone for 2 hours ( Continental airlines) Friday nite and no one picked up. Needless to say there was a lot of talk about the flights. One women said that Jet Blue gave her a date of leaving of Sept 5th or somewhere around there. Well off to the airport we went, after standing line for who knows how long, the Continental personal came out and gave everyone a sheet of paper and said that you have to call the 800 number or try the internet, they were told not to do anything at the counter. I was standing at American Airlines while all this was going on to see if I could get out on one of their flights. There was flight leaving at 1:15, (no bags, no breakfast, no nothing, raced all the way back to the hotel, threw everything into our bags and out the door, got back to the airport with a little more then an hour to spare) and it was going to Miami, but I need to go to Newark, there were no flights going the northeast because of Irene. The next flight I could get was Wed the 31st. Well what choice did I have...break out the credit card and suck up the 1250 per ticket one way (3) and head off to Miami, four nites in South Beach, because all flights were booked solid, then back to the airport on Wed for the rest of the journey. Now that flight had us leaving Miami going to Nashville and then onto Newark. We arrived home yesterday and found out that my flight was to be on Sept 7th....we love Aruba and the people at the Radisson were great telling us if we need to stay there would be no problem, but we had to get back to work, thank goodness my boss is understanding, and said just get home safe. Continental should be alot better with dealing with their customers and give out as much info as possible. Now the fight is on to see if we can get anything from Continental...well that's my story. What should have been a shorty birthday/vacation turned into one long expensive 8 day getaway....the count down has started for the next trip..........Charlie

Sorry you had such troubles.

Aruba since 1979
    wow.
    continental would NOT deal with folks at the Continental counter in AUA.

paul and i were at the aurba airport early on sunday 28th morning.......we were being rebooked.....our flight on the 25th was cancelled and our flight on the 28th was way oversold so we got bumped. while we were waiting for boarding passes for the afternoon flight, there was a couple, early 50 ish at the american counter, shelling over BIG BUCKS to get to miami because Continental would not even rebook them at the COntinental counter.

shame on continental for being so customer unfriendly.

if you had trip insurance you may have a chance at some reimbursement......but chances are the insurance co will say...........you were obligated to take the sept 7 flight

i now not only hate American Airlines, in your honor, i hate Continental.

DId your luggage make connections?
    Mine did not.
    Quote Originally Posted by hvy747 View Post
    Arrived on Aruba Aug. 24th for my dw birthday with our daughter. Everyone at the Radisson was surprized to see us, since we were only there in July. First nite dinner was at MJ's, and it was great.
    We kept an eye on huricane Irene and what was going on there. That nite we had dinner at the hotel since our daughter wasn't feeling good.
    On Friday the talk was all about Irene, and what was going to happen to the flights leaving Sat and Sun. Went to the Screaming Eagle for dinner, I got an email Friday nite that my Sunday flight was cancelled. Oh boy......well come Sat morning everyone is in the lobby and on the phone trying to get thru to their airlines, with no luck, one guy told me that he was on the phone for 2 hours ( Continental airlines) Friday nite and no one picked up. Needless to say there was a lot of talk about the flights. One women said that Jet Blue gave her a date of leaving of Sept 5th or somewhere around there. Well off to the airport we went, after standing line for who knows how long, the Continental personal came out and gave everyone a sheet of paper and said that you have to call the 800 number or try the internet, they were told not to do anything at the counter. I was standing at American Airlines while all this was going on to see if I could get out on one of their flights. There was flight leaving at 1:15, (no bags, no breakfast, no nothing, raced all the way back to the hotel, threw everything into our bags and out the door, got back to the airport with a little more then an hour to spare) and it was going to Miami, but I need to go to Newark, there were no flights going the northeast because of Irene. The next flight I could get was Wed the 31st. Well what choice did I have...break out the credit card and suck up the 1250 per ticket one way (3) and head off to Miami, four nites in South Beach, because all flights were booked solid, then back to the airport on Wed for the rest of the journey. Now that flight had us leaving Miami going to Nashville and then onto Newark. We arrived home yesterday and found out that my flight was to be on Sept 7th....we love Aruba and the people at the Radisson were great telling us if we need to stay there would be no problem, but we had to get back to work, thank goodness my boss is understanding, and said just get home safe. Continental should be alot better with dealing with their customers and give out as much info as possible. Now the fight is on to see if we can get anything from Continental...well that's my story. What should have been a shorty birthday/vacation turned into one long expensive 8 day getaway....the count down has started for the next trip..........Charlie

We were a little late getting into Nashville and we were the last to board the plane, we told them that we had bags coming over from the American flight. Yes our bags need make Newark.

[QUOTE=Andrea J.;210740]wow.

i now not only hate American Airlines, in your honor, i hate Continental.

Living in Northerrn NJ I have been a loyal Continental customer with Elite Gold status for many years and have been treated really well by the airline. I take the non-stop to Aruba every July and have had no issues and have used miles to upgrade to 1st class. However, since the merger with United, the service and attitude of Continental has really really gone downhill and I think it will only get worse as the airlines truly combine over the next year. The employees are bitter and are wondering if they will still have jobs. We booked our July, 2012 flight 2 weeks ago and they will not let us upgrade even though 1st class in empty as they want to sell these seats and not "give them away"-although I reminded the, the miles I earned are really not free.

Continental is a great example of how a merger can ruin service on what was a terrific airline.

My family has flown Continental for years and never had a problem until last week. We try and upgrade when ever possible to 1st class, my wife has been spoiled....lol......we even had a problem in Newark with one of the Continental employees last week on the day we left, she kind of got nasty with us.....stress of the job I guess or maybe she's like that all the time. I always said it was a bad deal of a merger, what do I know......Charlie

we also fly out of ewr and use miles to upgrade on continental, i will remain hopeful on not a bad experience, we leave dec 12th