Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Trip

Smile My Trip

I had a very nice flight from NY to Aruba yesterday. I left at 7:45am and arrived in Aruba around 12:00pm. I was outside the airport by 12:30PM.

I took a cab from the airport to this local Columbia Restuarant called Casa Vieja which means Old House. I found out about this restuarant from another board member who went there and filmed the drive to the restuarant.

I had the plate he reccomended the Bendeja. You get rice, beans, a flank steak, fried pork grinds. a large sausage, fried plantain, friend arrepas which I think is a fried cornmeal potatoe pancake, and a salad. I also had 2 beers, 1 rum & coke, coffee, flan and another Bendeja entree to go.

The bill came out to $37.00. Really cheap!

I asked the owner to call me a cab since its a local area and no cabs frequent the area. He instead drove me to my resort. I gave him $20 and he was happy...

I didn't do much after yesterday besides check in, go to Lings Supermarket for food shopping, unpack etc. I was really tired from the flight, drinking etc.

Today I'm hitting the beach and pool.

Later in the week I'm going on a mountain bike tour and plan to snorkel. Another member of this board reccomended a buddy of his in Aruba who I'm making arrangements with to go snorkeling..

I'm sooooooooooooooo relaxed!!!

Talk 2 u soon!

PS While at that Columbian Restuarant unfortunely a large SUV Truck came crashing right through the middle. People sitting outside jumped out of their seats so as not to get hit. Tables, food went flying all over the place. i was also sitting outside and the truck missed my table by inches. The place was a mess but i kept eating and drinking...No one got hurt though thank god...

Aruba since 1979
    glad that your guardian angel was sitting on your shoulder protecting you from the wayward suv/truck. you were ver lucky indeed.

and WOW what a lunch!

every so often, if you get a chance, continue this thread with your aruba blog.

enjoy!

Aruba since 1979
    Casa Vieja, with directions
    here is the thread re: driving directions to casa vieja.
    :-)

Which company are you mountain biking with?

I'm mountain biking with a company that gives kitesurfing lessons by the fisherman's hut. They are picking me up early on Tuesday morning 7:45am for a 3 hour bike tour towards Malmok, Arashi, the light house etc. $55.00 for the bike, helmut, water, pick up and return...

Day 2 I woke up sooooo early 5:00am! I did go to sleep at 9:30pm the first night but I was really tired from the traveling and mostly from the drinking. Ha ha.

Today I went to the beach. Eagle Beach was soooo beautiful. Water nice and calm. I went back to my room around 1pm, showered and made lunch. Took a nap and around 4pm I got dressed and took a bus ride. I sometimes take the bus all the way to Arashi Beach and back on one fare. However, the bus i took was only going to the Marriot. He didn't let me ride with him and said he was going to come back but much later. So i crossed the street and a bus came by 15 minutes later and it was him. i could of stayed with him and enjoyed the ride towards Arashi. He had a bus full of locals.

I noticed that it was really dead around Paseo Herencia and all the restuarants in the area. it was 4;30pm but still it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people around. Today i didn't have a problem getting a hut at the beach and the pool wasn't crowded until late evening. At la cabana there are a lot of guests from venezuela...

After my bus tour around the high rise I went to La Cabana Happy Hour from 5-7. They had this nice local band playing. I still have an Entree from that Columbian restuarant so that will be my dinner for today.

Tomorrow someone is picking me up for snorkeling at 11am. It should be fun!!!

Day 3

I went snorkeling at Mango Alto Beach. One of the board members reccomended his British friend who does snorkeling trips. This was real snorkeling! Most snorkeling trips you leave out of a catamaran, a lite lunch and open bar. This was the real deal! We swam from the beach out for an hour and an hour back. We had the aid of a hand held motor jet which we needed because we had 4 foot waives crashing us. I was a bit inexpereince snorkeling in deep water with a lot of waives so i opted not to go further out.

I got to see some nice coral, fishes, a sunken boat etc. The tour guide took a lot of nice under water pictures for me which he email me. It was definetely worth the money and I may do it again during the week and in years to come. They also do a night time snorkeling but you really need experience for that and I'm just not there yet.

Off to the pool and i might catch the last hour of happy hour at Amsterdam Manor and will probably just eat at the Islander Grill at La Cabana today..

Having an awesome time in Aruba!

Sounds like you went snorkeling with Stuart (recommended by Kent on the forum?). Glad you had such a great time! I have a trip set up with him when I come in October and from what I've heard so far it's a great time! I'm really looking forward to it!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Correct Stuart too me snorkeling. It was a great work-out. I may do another trip this week..

Tomorrow morning mountain biking!

Correct Stuart took me snorkeling.

Tomorrow Mountain Biking at 7:45am...

Day 4

I was picked up at 7:45am to go mountain biking. We went to the Fisherman's Hut which nearby Catalina Beach. We started around 8:30am and finished by 10:30am. It was very hot but lucky we started early.

The tour was supposed to be by the Alto Vista Chappel and Light House. However, my guide informed me that it was very steep and wanted to make sure I was up to it. After biking a while in the road and going up some hills we stopped for a moment at a local store for water. My Heart was beating so fast which I didn't notice while biking. Soooo I had to change my mind on going up the dirt road uphill towards the chapel. The whole trip would have been 18 miles total and I did about half.

We basically rode around the area and I got to see all the new condos that were being developed, where the locals live, went to Arashi Beach, Catalina Beach. There were some roads that were downhill which was nice but some that you had to petal uphill.

After 2 hours I was beat!!!

Tonight I have reservations for Cubas cooking and after that workout today I'm looking forward to a Mojito and a good meal....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast