Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My Valentine's Trip Report

i know how you feel, Although i'm not american we also get NJ housewives and Jersey shore on tv here, (Although i must admit i dont watch it)

When i was in Aruba last year i also came across people from NJ who acted this way and i would literally cringe for them thinking "Don't you people realise how unclassy you come across to others"

But by the same token i also met a lovely couple from new jersey who were mortified by that behaviour and said (Which i think is so true) that the small minority have unfortunately created the untrue stereotype that all people from that part of the US are like that.

it's the same as when i see fellow aussies behaving badly, i cringe and hope people don't judge my nationality as a whole by that isolated behaviour

The saying is so true though that money definitely does not buy class (no matter what some people think)

I also have friends who are italian who act nothing like the reality shows and condone those people for their behaviour.

Also meant to mention, glad you had a great vacation

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Madame Janette's. I still will put it in the positive category, although neither my husband nor I have found a entree we love. This time I had the almond crusted grouper, and he had the duck. Both were good, but not great, in our opinion, but I know others love them both. The appetizer we ordered, Kobe Beef Carpaccio, was absolutely wonderful. We love the atmosphere, the decor, the service, and we were seated at a table beside the entertainer. The man who sang the night we were there was wonderful. My husband and I are originally from WV, and he sang Almost Heaven WV, so he had us in the palm of his hand..haha (No service charge added)
    Is there a singer every evening at Madame Janette's? If so, maybe I could request this song while we are there since my husband and I are from WV. The hubs would be so surprised.

Your report also makes me happy that we picked the Bucuti, since no children are allowed. Not that we have anything against them, but we want a nice, quiet, relaxing atmosphere for our time away.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiecam View Post
    i know how you feel, Although i'm not american we also get NJ housewives and Jersey shore on tv here, (Although i must admit i dont watch it)

When i was in Aruba last year i also came across people from NJ who acted this way and i would literally cringe for them thinking "Don't you people realise how unclassy you come across to others"

But by the same token i also met a lovely couple from new jersey who were mortified by that behaviour and said (Which i think is so true) that the small minority have unfortunately created the untrue stereotype that all people from that part of the US are like that.

it's the same as when i see fellow aussies behaving badly, i cringe and hope people don't judge my nationality as a whole by that isolated behaviour

The saying is so true though that money definitely does not buy class (no matter what some people think)

I also have friends who are italian who act nothing like the reality shows and condone those people for their behaviour.
    I totally agree. Reality shows generally are nothing about reality, but I guess the ones who agree to do those types of shows are getting the fame they want.

Also meant to mention, glad you had a great vacation
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by amydawn99 View Post
    Is there a singer every evening at Madame Janette's? If so, maybe I could request this song while we are there since my husband and I are from WV. The hubs would be so surprised.
    I can't say for sure, but if you send them an email, I'm sure they'd tell you. The man who was singing the night we were there definitely took requests and seemed more than happy to oblige. I wish I knew his name to tell you in case they have different singers on different nights. He played guitar and was middle age. We were there on Thursday, Feb 16.( mjrestaurant@setarnet.aw ).

We used to live in Canada, and once, when my parents were visiting, we took them to a maple syrup festival in Northumberland County. To our surprise and delight, a group singing live sang Almost Heaven...but changed it up to Almost Heaven Northumberland. l

Quote Originally Posted by amydawn99 View Post
    Your report also makes me happy that we picked the Bucuti, since no children are allowed. Not that we have anything against them, but we want a nice, quiet, relaxing atmosphere for our time away.
    I hear you! I wouldn't have said that before, but now, I may change my tune. At least I know I'll never go back over PW again. It was the sheer numbers and complete lack of supervision that caused the problem.
    Last edited by corona; 02-28-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Andrea, there's housewives of nj, housewives of beverly hills, housewives of atlanta, housewives of orange county-- i think there's housewives from every state. though i am from nj and i am italian, they are nothing like the housewives of nj that i actually know, lol......
    Gaby, don't forget MOB wives! Love that show

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)

I couldn't agree more.

When I tell people I was born and raised in Texas they automatically label me as a boot strappin, horse ridin, tomboy spittin cowgirl! NOT true, in fact there are only small portions of Texas that are like this. Sure we go to the rodeo for fun, but mostly for the food and carnival rides! Mostly we just like the outdoors, minus the summers when it gets to 110 degrees outside of course

On a side note - I do watch the Jersey Shore for pure entertainment. I need something to watch while my brain is mush from working all day! These people are definitely not like the majority of those from New Jersey or anywhere near there, I met some lovely New Yorkers and New Jersey-ers in Aruba last year. They were a lot of fun in fact!

Yeah, not to be a downer, but I have noticed at many higher-end hotels, the roving bands of children, or pairs of malefactors menacing the halls, public areas, and restaurants. Sadly, this is a rising trend. Parents seem (I don't know for sure) to check into these hotels, release the little darlings into the fray and assume someone else will ASSUME their responsibilities. Uh, doesn't happen and the rest of us have to deal with it.

These days, I don't deal with it much at all. On several occasions, I've either changed my table at a restaurant or got up and left, paying only for what made it to the table before the savages went on their rampage. As for hotels, when travelling, I try to stay in small places whenever possible and specifically ask what the policies are regarding bad behaviour, so that I'm prepared for soemething to be done or not.

For the sake of tourism in general, I suggest these larger hotels make up their mind about whether or not they actually carer about the other paying guests, or if it's a matter of "too bad for you." That way, we can make our decisions accordingly.

Sorry for the missive. Otherwise, bon dia.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

You made very good points, SanNic, and thank you for commenting. The Hyatt did the minimum a couple of the nights we were there by posting security guards on every floor (which is totally ridiculous that these absentee parents would allow their children to disrupt the whole hotel to that magnitude). At least from what we saw on our floor, as we were going out one evening, the guards were there only to for window dressing, because a group of boisterous kids ran down the hall to a room and he didn't say boo to them.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123