Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Newbie Day 6 and 7

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    There is day 6 and 7! I have been looking for your report in the past few days, Maggi.

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us. You remind me very much of a good friend of mine who is originally from Bavaria, I can almost "hear" an accent when reading your posts. I always confuse Austrian and Bavarian accents, they sound almost the same to me. LOVE them, makes me always smile.

Love your photos! They are beautiful! You have a great talent taking them!

Thanks CK! Although I don't have an accent (albeit a "Michigan" accent. My California friend always makes fun of me, especially when I call it "pop" instead of "soda".) I've been in the States since I was 5. Austria and Bavaria are almost identical to my ear, they are both in the south. Austrians have more dialect though.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiwun View Post
    Thanks CK! Although I don't have an accent (albeit a "Michigan" accent. My California friend always makes fun of me, especially when I call it "pop" instead of "soda".) I've been in the States since I was 5. Austria and Bavaria are almost identical to my ear, they are both in the south. Austrians have more dialect though.
    Oh, I would not have expected that, Maggi. But growing up in the States explains it.

I liked reading about your love to the authentic food, especially the Kaiserschmarren. I grew up in Germany and went to Austria several times. Their food is outstanding and I have fond memories of the Kaiserschmarren.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I have fond memories of the Kaiserschmarren.
    My mom always used to make it but it was like a thick pancake which she used to tear into pieces and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, served with stewed fruit. The way they make it at MJ is really "fancied up". Large cubes of the pancake, sprinkled with carmelized granulated sugar with fruit laden syrup on the side. I immediately recognized the distinctive flavor of authentic Austrian Stroh Rum, which had been lightly sprinkled on top as well. It is really expensive and I used to bring it back from Austria because we couldn't get it in the States. It was definitely not necessary for them to use this expensive product on the Kaiserschmarren, but perhaps the title is fitting, since Kaiser means emperor. Not my mother's version, that's for sure! I tried making it their way last night and failed miserably. http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.co...8&level1=S_Rum

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiwun View Post
    My mom always used to make it but it was like a thick pancake which she used to tear into pieces and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, served with stewed fruit. The way they make it at MJ is really "fancied up". Large cubes of the pancake, sprinkled with carmelized granulated sugar with fruit laden syrup on the side. I immediately recognized the distinctive flavor of authentic Austrian Stroh Rum, which had been lightly sprinkled on top as well. It is really expensive and I used to bring it back from Austria because we couldn't get it in the States. It was definitely not necessary for them to use this expensive product on the Kaiserschmarren, but perhaps the title is fitting, since Kaiser means emperor. Not my mother's version, that's for sure! I tried making it their way last night and failed miserably. http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.co...8&level1=S_Rum
    My mom made Kaiserschmarrn as well quite often when we were kids, without the Rum as well. But always with some homemade applesauce.

Sorry your Kaiserschmarrn didn't turned out the way you wanted it. Sometimes, the flour can make a huge difference! Here is an easy recipe if you like to give it another try. Good Luck!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kaiserschmarrn/

Hi CK, I just noticed your reply. That recipe is very similar to the one I use, thank you. I was trying to make it thick enough to slice into largish cubes, ala Mme. Janette. I was not successful in doing that. It almost seems as if they make it on a baking sheet. I wish I knew their secret.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12