Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: NYE true story

NYE true story

What I am about to share is not intended to receive accolades for my two sons but rather I want to use this story for other parents of teenagers as a learning tool.

On New Year's Eve, two of my sons (20 and 18) were walking back to the SC with a bunch of friends at 3am when they found a kid passed out on the grass in front of a hotel along the "strip" on Palm Beach. They are both lifeguards and went over to help. They found a 16 year old unconscious, throwing up and with a very slow pulse and their training kicked in. The younger brother and older cousin were panicking and started to go into shock. My sons quickly assessed the situation and called an ambulance, kept the others under control (which also included the crowd that was gathering) and made sure that the boy would not aspirate on his own vomit. The brother and cousin wanted to just bring him back to the hotel and were worried they would get in trouble. My boys would not let them do this as they knew that with such a slow pulse this kid was in big trouble.

The next night we were out with our 20 year old and we ran into the parents and younger brother. The younger brother recognized my son and hugged him and thanked him as did the parents. What we found out was that my boys most likely saved this 16 year old's life. He stayed in the hospital for 10 hours with a severe case of alcohol poisoning. The father told us had their son not gone to the hospital he most likely would have died.

The reason I am retelling this story is to remind parents to tell their kids that they should never be afraid to call their parents if they are "in trouble". These kids fear could have cost them their brother and cousin's life. Also, have frank discussions with your kids about alcohol and don't be naive at what age they will start to drink. In Canada our drinking age is much younger than the US so when traveling many of these kids tend to really drink since they are legal and many are drinking underage too. We have tried to have an honest and open relationship with our three kids about drinking so they won't feel the need to hide it from us. Thankfully, we have not had any major issues while they were underage and they have been responsible legal drinkers. These are all very personal decisions for parents to make but I thought there were a lot of life lessons with this story.

Most importantly, the kid is fine and the parents were terrific in how they handled their situation once the crisis passed.

Happy New Year to all.

happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    Glad there was a happy ending!
    Re: your sons......excellent training and good use of judgment.
    Job well done.

Good words of advice re: booze and "kids"...........no matter how old our kids are.

Thanks

Bravo to your kids. Good lesson for everyone.

Our dd will be 16 in a few months and we keep a very tight rein on her. Dh and I will not win any popularity contests for parents. She does not like it, but I will share this story with her.

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    Thank you so much for your story. Your boys do deserve "accolades" for their bravery and assistance in what might have been a horrific event. So glad everything turned out okay. I'm sure if was also a lesson learned for the young man who survived that frightening situation.

I wish more people took the time to assist others like your boys did. It has become common place to turn your cheek and not get involved. You obviously raised your boys better than that. Kudos to them and kudos to you!

Great story with a happy ending,Great job raising your kids Randi.

Randi you have great kids, thank you to put your story.

Randi great story, your sons did a wonderful thing, they were in the right place at the right time, Bless them both

1. Eagle Beach 2. Baby Beach 3. Natural Pool
    As others have stated, you should be very proud of your son's. You have raised some fine young men!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Bravo to 2 young men who stepped out of their comfort zone to help another ! You should be more than proud !!!!!!!!!
    The Aruba News should have printed this.....hint hint, pass along this info to appropriate people cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast